•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Buying from Japan since mid 2020?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ariesram

ariesram

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:27 AM

Hello there,

Has anyone bought a scope from Japan, since mid 2020? 

Some reviewer did it before 2020 and the shipping cost via EMS was as low as 10,000+ yen ( less than 200 USD). However since mid 2020, the store Kyoei at Osaka Japan switched from EMS to DHL. I tried to get a shipping quote for a small refractor from the store master at Kyoei Osaka without luck. DHL online quote shows a hefty 600+ USD shipping from Japan. That is basically all the discount by buying from Japan. 

Has anyone had the experience of buying from Japan to share? 

Thanks

• nowhere and teashea like this

#2 blakestree

blakestree

Ranger 4

• Loc: Savannah, GA

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:30 AM

As far as I know, EMS is still restricting shipments to the US. Or, has that changed?

• teashea likes this

#3 ariesram

ariesram

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:56 PM

Seems not lifted yet.

https://www.post.jap...verview_en.html

#4 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:04 PM

Yes, and the shipping costs are considerably higher with DHL.  I did receive a notice in the last week about FedEx becoming an option with one of the sites I purchase from but I don't know the rates yet. 

• teashea likes this

#5 Marcus Roman

Marcus Roman

Ranger 4

Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:50 PM

I just bought through Koji Matsumoto, he used Yamato company UPS Japan and my beautiful classic FC50 arrived in 6 days to Italy. Price for shipping was in the area of US$ 160.

Edited by Marcus Roman, 25 February 2021 - 02:52 PM.

• teashea likes this

#6 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 26 February 2021 - 01:24 AM

EMS is a goner, but DHL been fantastic to me. I don't even need to mark it as fragile, and they're fast. Got several scopes over without any damage.

Koji can help and he used yamato, seems to be fine.

• blakestree, Marcus Roman and teashea like this

#7 teashea

teashea

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:14 AM

Hello there,

Has anyone bought a scope from Japan, since mid 2020? 

Some reviewer did it before 2020 and the shipping cost via EMS was as low as 10,000+ yen ( less than 200 USD). However since mid 2020, the store Kyoei at Osaka Japan switched from EMS to DHL. I tried to get a shipping quote for a small refractor from the store master at Kyoei Osaka without luck. DHL online quote shows a hefty 600+ USD shipping from Japan. That is basically all the discount by buying from Japan. 

Has anyone had the experience of buying from Japan to share? 

Thanks

I have purchased a number of things from Japan and China recently because they were not available in the US.  The shipping charges were very reasonable.  However, none of the things were as large as a scope.  I tried to buy a Takahashi FOA60 from Kyoei Osaka but they said they could not sell it to me because they are not a US distributor ---- but they did have it in stock.  Tak America will not have one available until this summer.

#8 teashea

teashea

Apollo

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:16 AM

BWT, the last thing I ordered from China came by Fed Ex and arrived at my home in three days from the day I ordered it.  The last thing I ordered from Japan came DHL and it arrived in three days also.............. amazing.

#9 teashea

teashea

Apollo

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:22 AM

Does anyone have an email address for koji-matsumoto?  His website only has it in Japanese.

#10 Blueox4

Blueox4

Viking 1

• Loc: Upstate New York

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:00 PM

Has anyone ordered anything from http://www.kyoei-tokyo.jp recently? 

I have emailed the the Shopmaster and have ordered from them in the past. I saw something on their website, translated, that said something about opening in June but I’m not sure if that’s what it means. Does anyone know if Tokyo business are open?

• teashea likes this

#11 RLK1

RLK1

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:01 PM

Does anyone have an email address for koji-matsumoto?  His website only has it in Japanese.

https://koji-matsumoto.com/

#12 nowhere

nowhere

Vostok 1

• Loc: Vancouver

Posted 01 March 2021 - 01:26 AM

I have an order in with Kyoei Osaka right now. First time I've ever dealt with them and I did it by email. Quick and responsive, good communication. The parcel is supposed to arrive here in Canada on March 1st according to DHL. I'll post an update when it gets here.

• teashea likes this

#13 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:47 AM

Sorry guys, we're not allowed to post email addresses in the forum.

His email address is displayed on the right hand side of his web site.

Also note that he says AOL and Verizon seem to have difficulty with his mail server. You might want to use a gmail account.

• Marcus Roman and teashea like this

#14 JeremySh

JeremySh

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:51 AM

I looked at Koji  Matsumoto’s website, but could not see equipment for sale. Do you need to contact him with your requirements?

• teashea likes this

#15 Marcus Roman

Marcus Roman

Ranger 4

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:31 PM

I looked at Koji  Matsumoto’s website, but could not see equipment for sale. Do you need to contact him with your requirements?

Yes, try, he does not enlist all its scopes on sale in his website usually....

• JeremySh and teashea like this

#16 nowhere

nowhere

Vostok 1

Posted 01 March 2021 - 08:31 PM

The package from Kyoei Osaka just arrived here in Vancouver today. Right on schedule after being shipped on February 24. It's a small parcel, just 7x50 binoculars and the shipping was $82 Canadian via DHL.

• teashea likes this

#17 teashea

teashea

Apollo

Posted 01 March 2021 - 08:42 PM

There were things I wanted but are unavailable in the US.  So, I have placed several orders with companies in Japan and China over the last month.  They all have worked out very well.  A couple of the orders arrived within three days of the order.  

• nowhere likes this

#18 nowhere

nowhere

Vostok 1

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:58 PM

There were things I wanted but are unavailable in the US.  So, I have placed several orders with companies in Japan and China over the last month.  They all have worked out very well.  A couple of the orders arrived within three days of the order.  

That was the situation I was in too. It was a pair of Nikon 7x50SP (Prostar as they used to be called) I was looking for on behalf of a less internet-savvy friend. Nikon doesn't offer them in Canada or the US so I dealt directly with Kyoei-Osaka in Japan.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics