•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tripod for Skyguider Pro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 damarks913

damarks913

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:43 AM

I know that iOptron makes tripods specifically designed with the SGP in mind, but as with most things right now, "OUT OF STOCK".

What alternatives have you or seen people use with the SKP, as they attempt to carry a small refractor such as the WO61?

#2 T~Stew

T~Stew

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: central Ohio

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:50 AM

I've had no issues with either of my tripods. I have a Manfrotto 290 that is lighter duty than most people would recommend but had no issues getting up to 2-3 minute long exposures with 300-400mm lenses. Others have not had as good of luck with light duty tripod so maybe my results are outside the norm.

I more recently got a much more heavy duty carbon fiber Innorel RT90C (it was $300 on amazon), 88lb rating. I mainly got it for mounting heavy lenses on gimbal head for bird photography and it excels there too. But I dislike all the twisty leg logs, I like flick-lock style better, my only complaint. Others have used the wooden surveyor style but I think they may need adapting to different mount bolt, I'm not sure on that.

I do see the iOptron 1.75" in stock at Highpoint scientific... (if its compatible with Skyguider... I think the one aximuth bolt may be removable?)

Edited by T~Stew, 25 February 2021 - 11:50 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics