•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autofocuser for Stellarvue SV90T

Astrophotography Equipment Refractor Accessories Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimbo1312

jimbo1312

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Akron, Ohio

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:46 AM

Hello all,

I'm in the market for an autofocuser for my Stellarvue SV90T with the 2" standard Stellarvue dual-speed Crayford focuser.  I wondered if anyone had any experience with this specific scope or autofocusers used with the older stock Stellarvue Crayfords.  I'll be using the autofocuser with ASCOM/APT for astrophotography with a DSLR, and weight on the autofocuser shouldn't exceed 5kg at any given point.  I've searched the forums pretty extensively, but haven't found recommendations or suggestions for this specific focuser/scope.  I can take some measurements of the stripped focuser tonight if needed.

I'm currently looking at the following, but I'd love to hear any other recommendations:

Pegasus FocusCube 2

SETSO SENSO 2

Optec DirectSync SVX 30 with ThirdLynx (or other Optec custom product if that one doesn't fit my Specific Crayford)

I'd like to stay in the sub $500 range if possible.  If the autofocuser also fit on my Edge 11's Feathertouch that would be a pleasant bonus, but certainly not something I was planning on with this purchase.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Jim

#2 jgreif

jgreif

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:24 AM

I have that exact telescope and use the ZWO EAF...way under $500.  It works very well for me.  Easy to attach...comes complete with all fittings, tools and instructions. My capture software is Ekos on KStars running on a Raspberry Pi 4, and all the necessary drivers are there and work.  May not be high end enough for you, but works very well for me.  Hope that helps.

Jon

Edited by jgreif, 26 February 2021 - 11:03 AM.

• cybermayberry likes this

#3 Bretw01

Bretw01

Viking 1

• Loc: IL USA

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:47 AM

The thirdlynx is for 2.5 and 3 inch focusers.

I think this might be what you need for a 2" stellarvue focuser  -  https://www.optecinc...slynx/19768.htm

I've used the thirdlynx on an SVQ100 for over a year with no problems.

#4 cybermayberry

cybermayberry

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:50 AM

I have the same scope as well, also using a ZWO EAF. Works very well. I had no problems attaching it. I use mostly with NINA, but have used it with sharpcap and the app that ZWO provides. I only have 16 steps of backlash as well in the AEF. Unlike the poster above I had to use a hex key that was different then those supplied with the unit to remove my focus nob for my feather touch 2 inch.

#5 epdreher

epdreher

Apollo

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:53 AM

I vote for the Optec.  Call them with your concerns, and you will receive excellent info and customer service.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Equipment, Refractor, Accessories, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics