•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

L-Extreme and OSC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Maxedout

Maxedout

Mariner 2

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:52 AM

Good morning to all of my fellow astronomers.

I have a question which I hope will not sound too dumb so here I go.

I currently have an Atik 414ex osc camera (love it) and am adding on a mono camera soon.

Can I use my L-Extreme by Optolong in lieu of Ha and Oiii filters as I already have the filter.

In other words LRGB and L-Extreme for the other 2 band passes?

Thanks in advance.

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:00 AM

It's not a dumb question, it's a common one.  But there's a clear answer.

It depends completely on the camera.  For OSC, the LExtreme is better.  It was designed for OSC.

For mono, the individual Ha and O(III) filters are better.  They were designed for mono.

Yes, you can use them "wrong" and still get something.  But, you're spending a lot of time and money on this.  You don't want to use the wrong tools for the job.  You don't want to build fine furniture while driving in nails with a wrench.

Edited by bobzeq25, 25 February 2021 - 11:01 AM.

#3 dx_ron

dx_ron

Mariner 2

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:10 AM

Are you asking about using the L-Extreme with the new mono camera? If you put the L-Extreme in front of a mono sensor, every pixel will be illuminated by both wavelengths and you have no way to recover the separate information. The multi-bandpass filters work for OSC sensors because the light is filtered again by the Bayer filter. So with L-Extreme in front of an OSC sensor, only red pixels are illuminated only by the light that passed through the Ha bandpass of the L-Extreme. The blue and green pixels are illuminated by the light that passed through the Oiii bandpass and that's why you can process the signals separately.

#4 Aerions

Aerions

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan, USA

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:22 AM

If you did HOO with the mono cam you could use the l extreme as lum for HOO but its easier to just make a synth super lum to add to the hoo. would work but not sure how the results would be compared to a synth lum 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics