•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Connecting Motorized Focuser through Software

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sdeming

sdeming

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, North Carolina - USA

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:31 AM

Hello!

I just purchased a new USB focuser from Moonlight (model CR-V3) to replace the stock focuser. I currently use CPWI to connect to my mount. SharpCap and PHD2 also connect to CPWI. If anyone is familiar with my setup, I'd like to know how I control the focuser from my laptop. Is it through CPWI or SharpCap? I don't know if it matters, but my mount is a CGX and my telescope is an 8" Newtonian.

I won't get the new focuser until next week, but thought I'd get a jump on the technology side of this new setup.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Scott

Attached Thumbnails

• CR-V3 motor.JPG

Edited by sdeming, 25 February 2021 - 11:36 AM.

#2 JPSTAR

JPSTAR

Vostok 1

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:07 PM

Sharpcap Pro should do it for you.  See the section on Autofocus Assistance in the following:

https://www.sharpcap...pro/sharpcappro

If you want to run for long periods unattended, you might consider switching to Sequence Generator Pro (SGP) or NINA (free).

Joe

• limeyx likes this

#3 chongo228

chongo228

Viking 1

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:17 PM

Under file>settings>hardware point the focuser drop down menu at the ASCOM driver for your focuser and a focuser control box will come up in the SC menu on the right side of the screen.

When I had my Moonlite I remember having trouble with the controller software I downloaded from their website to control it. ASCOM worked fine through other programs so don't get discouraged if the Moonlite control software doesn't work.

#4 scopewizard

scopewizard

Messenger

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:20 PM

CPWI only see the focuser if connected to AUX on the mount. Only a Celestron motor focuser can connect that way. I connect to the PC or laptop with the focuser using the USB. In NINA or APT and I am sure many other software, you connect via USB. Make sure the driver(Moonlite or ASCOM) is installed on your PC/Laptop.

#5 sdeming

sdeming

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:36 PM

Sharpcap Pro should do it for you.  See the section on Autofocus Assistance in the following:

https://www.sharpcap...pro/sharpcappro

If you want to run for long periods unattended, you might consider switching to Sequence Generator Pro (SGP) or NINA (free).

Joe

Thank you Joe!

#6 sdeming

sdeming

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:56 PM

Under file>settings>hardware point the focuser drop down menu at the ASCOM driver for your focuser and a focuser control box will come up in the SC menu on the right side of the screen.

When I had my Moonlite I remember having trouble with the controller software I downloaded from their website to control it. ASCOM worked fine through other programs so don't get discouraged if the Moonlite control software doesn't work.

Thank you. So, if I have trouble with the Moonlight driver, you're saying I can download another ASCOM driver? Can you explain how that works please?

#7 sdeming

sdeming

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:57 PM

CPWI only see the focuser if connected to AUX on the mount. Only a Celestron motor focuser can connect that way. I connect to the PC or laptop with the focuser using the USB. In NINA or APT and I am sure many other software, you connect via USB. Make sure the driver(Moonlite or ASCOM) is installed on your PC/Laptop.

Thank you!

#8 chongo228

chongo228

Viking 1

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:57 PM

Thank you. So, if I have trouble with the Moonlight driver, you're saying I can download another ASCOM driver? Can you explain how that works please?

Moonlite has a program to manually control the focuser motor you can download here....https://focuser.com/downloads.php This is the program I had trouble with but it doesn't really matter. This program is like a hand controller but displayed on your screen. From most applications you would use this as your imaging software would be controlling the focuser. When I was just starting it did cause some frustration though. 

Download the ASCOM driver and suit if you already don't have it. Better tutorials are on Youtube than I could type out so check there for step by step instructions. Ascom will handle the interaction between the focuser and your imaging software.

#9 sdeming

sdeming

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:03 AM

Moonlite has a program to manually control the focuser motor you can download here....https://focuser.com/downloads.php This is the program I had trouble with but it doesn't really matter. This program is like a hand controller but displayed on your screen. From most applications you would use this as your imaging software would be controlling the focuser. When I was just starting it did cause some frustration though. 

Download the ASCOM driver and suit if you already don't have it. Better tutorials are on Youtube than I could type out so check there for step by step instructions. Ascom will handle the interaction between the focuser and your imaging software.

Thank you so much! Very helpful!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics