•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Good portable refractor for less than $1000

Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sambone

Sambone

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Columbus, Ohio USA

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:14 PM

I have a 10" Dob but it takes a bit to deploy it even on a garage cart.  I live in suburban skies and have much darker skies about 30 min. away at my son's house.  Loading up the 10" Dob isn't that easy. So I want a quick deploying refractor of reasonable quality that I can also use off my light polluted deck when I don't have set up time.  I was looking at the Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102 but is there a better option for decent quality and portability/travel?  I look at everything that  I can see ...Nebulas, clusters, planets. An APO is too expensive but I don't want junk either. 

#2 rkinnett

rkinnett

Viking 1

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:41 PM

Hi, welcome to CN!  

You'll need to provide a bit more information to get meaningful recommendations.

Is this for visual observing or imaging?

Do you need a go-to mount?

What are you hoping to look at?

What is your budget?  (edit:  you noted $1000 in the title for a refractor but presumably that's total, right?)

Edit:  don't rule out apos.  I picked up a fantastic C80ED for $225 with FPL-53 glass in the CN classifieds.  You can pick up a portable EQ or az/el go-to mount for $500 or so.

Edited by rkinnett, 25 February 2021 - 01:44 PM.

#3 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:42 PM

It's not in stock at the moment but if were in the market for a good portable refractor for under $1,000, I'd get an AT102ED.  It gets lots of praise around these parts for being a very well made telescope for the price.  The FK-61 ED (Extra-low Dispersion glass) glass controls chromatic aberration very well, so it is very close to a true apo.  It's a doublet so it is fairly light and cools down quickly. At $599, there is still room in the budget for a nice mount.

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 25 February 2021 - 01:48 PM.

• pugliano likes this

#4 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:51 PM

Hi and welcome

i think you will be pleasantly surprised in your top budget of $1000 and I would think an APO doublet would be well within reach for exsample Astro-tech does seem to be very popular in the US and great value for money for exsample the 

AT102ED f7 doublet retails for $599 and as it’s not the slowest scope in the world would also be worthy for imaging at a later date if you decide in the furture.on the mount side vixen porta II azimuth mount would be well partnered with the Astrotech at $300 

• pugliano likes this

#5 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:53 PM

It's not in stock at the moment but if were in the market for a good portable refractor for under $1,000, I'd get an AT102ED.  It gets lots of praise around these parts for being a very well made telescope for the price.  The FK-61 ED (Extra-low Dispersion glass) glass controls chromatic aberration very well, so it is very close to a true apo.  It's a doublet so it is fairly light and cools down quickly. At $599, there is still room in the budget for a nice mount.

Lol we both recommend the same scope 

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:55 PM

The achros are primarily built cheaply because generally people who buy achros buy them because they are cheaper than Apos. There are a few high quality ones, like Vixen, but a 4” vixen achro is $900. Another option would be something like an Explore Scientific AR102. It is an achro but it has a reasonable dual speed focuser and a 2” diagonal and a surprisingly sharp, if not totally inappropriate, 50mm finderscope. Might be a good happy medium for you. But then you can just about buy the AT Apo for the price. Granted the Apo doesn’t come accessorized, so by the time you put a diagonal and finder on there, you don’t have a lot left over for a mount. Personally I would probably do the Apo but it at least gives you a mid tier achro option.

Scott
  • James1996 and Supernova74 like this

#7 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:59 PM

Lol we both recommend the same scope 

Great minds . . . the AT102ED is just such a great scope for the price.

#8 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:29 PM

Achromatic verses ED why have satin when you can have silk!? For cheaper it’s not rocket science where my money would go lol.

#9 Beeham

Beeham

Mariner 2

• Loc: Oakland County, Michigan

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:35 PM

I have a Skywatcher ED100 that I am very happy with, and it's definitely a lot more portable than my 10" dob.  The general opinion of this scope seems to be pretty positive, there is a pretty large thread dedicated to this model you may want to review.

Cheers!

• therealdmt likes this

#10 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Soyuz

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:16 PM

I'd look at the AT80ED and AT102ED.

Very inexpensive for ED doublets, great build quality, color correction is fine for visual use. I recently purchased an AT80ED and it really exceeded my expectations.

#11 Stopforths

Stopforths

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:23 PM

The astrotech 102ed for 599 seem to be excellent value with great optics

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics