•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need mount recommendations for mobile, larger SCT observing

Mount SCT
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cfichter

cfichter

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:22 PM

Hi folks - returning to astronomy fun after a bit of hiatus - very busy with work.

I have been primarily an imager for the past 10 years, and I'm very experienced with german equatorial mounts (I have an MyT for imaging).

I'm thinking about a second mount for observing with a larger SCT (11 or possibly 14).

I don't want this thread to be about the pros/cons of observing with an SCT- there are a number of reasons I'm thinking about this strategy as opposed to a dob/other.

I'm interested to look at goto mounts to support the load.  I've owned Celestron and Losmandy mounts in the past. I liked the hand set Celestron provided for functionality and ease of use over the Losmandy and Paramount.

I'm out of touch with the mount market of late - here are a few requirements I'm thinking about -

-- portability/weight. I'm getting older, nuff said

-- good stability is ok but I won't be imaging with this mount - so I'd rather stay with one of the mass produced mounts at lower cost

-- good to excellent tracking. Once aligned, I just don't want to be monkeying with finding objects. I plan to do some outreach, just want a reliable goto

the IOptron CEM70 to me seems like a good comprimise, with mount only 30 lbs, I think this would be a good fit. The celestron options are just too heavy at 40lb+ for CEMII or the CGX options.

What other mounts should I be considering?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Viking 1

Posted 25 February 2021 - 05:32 PM

Have you looked at Losmandy,  some of their mounts break down into two pieces for transport.  Joe

https://store-losman...ounts_c_40.html

#3 skybsd

skybsd

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:22 PM

Hello, 

I'm thinking about a second mount for observing with a larger SCT (11 or possibly 14).

I'm out of touch with the mount market of late - here are a few requirements I'm thinking about -

-- portability/weight. I'm getting older, nuff said

Thanks in advance.

At 46 lbs for a C-14 or 57 lbs for the same from Meade, what exactly is the weight threshold / constraint for a mount? 

If you are able to manage with either of these OTAs in mobile usage mode, is the same also acceptable for any single mount component? 

I only ask as I use my C-14 / AP900-GTO as a portable set up and have travelled abroad a number of times with it as well., If you can manage an OTA of this size and lifting weight for portable set ups, there are a lot of mount options available for sure., 

Best.., 

skybsd 

• Jeff_Richards likes this

#4 bpaczkowski

bpaczkowski

Explorer 1

• Loc: Tujunga, CA

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:49 PM

I'm a very big fan of my 10 Micron GM2000 HPS Ultra portable that I've used with my Celestron 1100HD.  This is one of the best mounts out there and worth every penny, IMHO.  I've used this in a mobile setup (comes in 2 pieces) for many years and now it's at a permanent observatory.

Good luck,

Brian

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics