•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rowan AZ100 question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Robindonne

Robindonne

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:26 PM

I have a small question about a mount im not familiar with, although its on my wishlist. This mount is for sale in a used/unused state. Incl encoders and a nexus? My wishlist had this mount with the optional future motors.

Ok here is the question. Are the encoders and the nexus needed to make it a motorized mount when the motors come for sale? Im afraid when buying this very complete az100, the added options are not necessary for use with the future motors.

Thx

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:14 PM

https://www.cloudyni...ived/?hl= rowan

All the answers to your Q's are in that forum string. Look for Dek Rowan's posts. He designed and builds the mount.

• Robindonne likes this

#3 mtminnesota

mtminnesota

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: St. Paul

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:18 PM

I have a small question about a mount im not familiar with, although its on my wishlist. This mount is for sale in a used/unused state. Incl encoders and a nexus? My wishlist had this mount with the optional future motors.

Ok here is the question. Are the encoders and the nexus needed to make it a motorized mount when the motors come for sale? Im afraid when buying this very complete az100, the added options are not necessary for use with the future motors.

Thx

The encoders are needed.  This thread provides a few important answers about the AZ100.  Derek Rose posts several things in it that I found useful before I decided to buy one.

https://www.cloudyni...ived/?hl= rowan

*edit* - slow fingers

Edited by mtminnesota, 25 February 2021 - 07:19 PM.

• Robindonne likes this

#4 Robindonne

Robindonne

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:01 AM

Ok thanks. Will read the thread.

#5 Robindonne

Robindonne

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:01 AM

Ok thanks. Will read the thread.

#6 ilan_shapira

ilan_shapira

Ranger 4

• Loc: Israel

Posted 26 February 2021 - 01:54 PM

Thx

Yes, you must have the encoders to use the motors. You need to "count steps" when tracking or slewing.

That thread mtminnesota told you about is extremely useful. 

• Robindonne likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics