•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for a CPC exploded parts diagram

Celestron Mount
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dbblacksburg

dbblacksburg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:56 PM

Hi everyone,

I managed to scoop up a new Evo 925 recently, much to my surprise in finding one in stock. Then I quickly realized that just the OTA was pushing the mounts capacity.

I then thought I would find a CPC mount since many were apparently de-forking, and install it on my Evo OTA. I put in a precautionary call to Celestron to verify this was a viable solution. Much to my surprise, I was advised there were guide pins required for the CPC mount, and no way short of drilling to accommodate the requirement.

Can anyone shed some light (NPI) on this? An exploded diagram or sage advice would be welcomed. I would much prefer a fork mount over having to transition to a GEM for increased payload capacity.

Thanks - 

db

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:22 PM

There is no easy way to move the OTA from an EVO to a CPC. What you heard from Celestron is true. You would have to drill holes in the rear casting, one on each side to accept the pins that locate and lock arm mounting plates in place. 

Also the mount arms are the same for both the 925 and the 1100, but the adapter plates are specific to each scope size. So you would want to get a CPC925 mount for your C-9.25 OTA

I suppose a fellow with skill and access to good tools could disassemble a C-9.25 OTA and drill the necessary holes. You could make a template from the adapter plates to locate the holes. To give yourself some room for error you could drill the holes oversize and then bush the pins, using the bushings that you make on your metal lathe.

Oh yes and the screws used by the factory are not hardware store items, big box or local.

Edited by barbarosa, 25 February 2021 - 07:48 PM.

#3 dbblacksburg

dbblacksburg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:35 PM

Thanks Barbarossa, that was exactly the reply I expected and dreaded. I had the CPC 925 mount lined up, but am sure glad I made the call to Celestron to confirm. 

Since the thought of drilling into a brand new rear cell certainly doesn’t sound appealing, I guess it’s either $1.5-3k for a GEM I really don’t want (all my experience is with forks, and I’m a fan), or maybe buy a CPC 925 XLT for about the same money (if I can find one) which leaves me with more scopes than I need or want. Either option stalls the planned observatory significantly. Ah, the joys of the hobby....

Regardless, thanks again for the advice Barbarossa. The quick leap onto an available setup without some research on my part has taught me the lesson I needed.

Regards,

db

#4 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:21 PM

When I decided to convert a garden shed to an observatory it was done with my CPC1100 in mind as probably my last best scope.  Everything, pier height and position in the shed was based on a CPC1000 on a wedge. Hog heaven! But things change and the 1100 was replaced with a 925 on a wedge. I really liked that setup.

Then one day it was de-fork time and  the 925 moved to a CEM60. The mount went to a fellow who had a project in mind. 

There was a downside. The pier needed to be raised, the pier was now too close to the desk, and the counterweights are tougher than my head. The only one that I could solve was raising the pier.

#5 Benschop

Benschop

Mariner 2

• Loc: Eastern Ontario

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:25 PM

An option is to make a cradle mount for the CPC925, onto which you would mount your OTA.

See this thread for images.

https://www.cloudyni...inocs-and-more/

#6 dbblacksburg

dbblacksburg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:45 PM

That sounds close to what I had in mind. Had an Ultima 2000 way back when, had a lot of fun with that scope. Should’ve never parted with it. But I did, and marriage, job, etc. got in the way of ever replacing it.

Well, the hobby grew up a bit when I wasn’t looking. I’m astounded at the images and options that have appeared since the late 90’s! lol.gif And find myself getting addicted all over again - with a lot to learn.

Now, pushing 60, no wife, fairly dark skies and a bit of land has the bug biting again. I had my sights set on a CPC 925 sitting on a Mitty, on top of Dan’s pier plate, snug in an Explora-dome. Luckily the dome is still in the planning stages and I haven’t poured the pier yet, so if I need to move it back a bit or center it up, no harm, no foul at this point.

Anyway, the adventure continues, Barbarosa. Hopefully, that ‘last, best scope’ sorts itself out early enough in the process that ‘one and done’, at least for the observatory and pier, has a chance of actually happening.

So, the search for the mythical ‘perfect’ solution continues. I have half a mind to wait for a CPC to be in stock somewhere, and just stay visual with the Evo in the meantime. Sure, I’d have two scopes in the end, but I would come out about even price wise with a GEM mount I kinda don’t want. The internal debate rages on.....

Anyway, thanks again for the advice,

CS,

db

• Benschop likes this

#7 BWAZ

BWAZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:50 PM

https://blog.orionra...n-axis-rebuild/

The linked blogs are the bibles when it comes to looking into a cpc mount, IMHO

#8 dbblacksburg

dbblacksburg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:51 PM

Wow, what an interesting option, Benschop! Thanks for mentioning it, I might just have to look very hard at that option. I was just thinking that a rail mounted fork might be nice, if only...

CS,

db

• Benschop likes this

#9 dbblacksburg

dbblacksburg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:52 PM

Bookmarked, thanks BWAZ!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics