•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Imaging Processing Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stickman

Stickman

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Idaho

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:23 PM

So I am getting closer to dipping my toes into the world of solar imaging and have a question about the versions of Photoshop.  I see there are several versions available; Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, and Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements.  Which version do you recommend and/or use for solar image processing and are there advantages of one version over another?  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks so much! 

Rick

#2 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Apollo

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:06 PM

Can't speak for the other versions, I have been using Photoshop Elements for years with my wildlife photography and now solar imaging.  Go to this link and scroll down...  https://www.flickr.c...hotos/dhkaiser/

Edited by dhkaiser, 25 February 2021 - 09:07 PM.

#3 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:10 PM

Hi Rick,

Depends on what payment scheme you want to get into.

I use an old version, CS5.1 of Photoshop, only because I have the license from many years ago and its still working even from Win 7 to Windows 10 through the years. I don't pay a subscription. I will not buy a subscription to Adobe, so I will not use Photoshop, at all, after CS5.1 can no longer be used eventually. Just my personal opinion as I don't like their direction with the software.

Thankfully, lots of alternatives now exist. I highly recommend looking into Affinity Photo as a Photoshop alternative. It's inexpensive to buy, and you can do like a 90 day trial for free and it's full package.

And GiMP is free and quite powerful.

However, if you still want to move forward with Photoshop, I don't think you have an option at this point other than the normal Photoshop via subscription plan. Elements is a crippled version, I don't recommend it.

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 25 February 2021 - 09:11 PM.

#4 Stickman

Stickman

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Idaho

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:04 PM

Marty,

Thanks for the comments, I was a bit taken back with Adobe pushing the monthly subscription on their web site, I'm not locked into their product.  It looks like the versions of the program I mentioned in my original post can still be purchased through 3rd Party stores.  I appreciate the other options you suggested, whether it's Photoshop or another program, I'm still facing a bit of a learning curve. 

Rick

#5 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:08 PM

I do the subscription (I do a once a year payment) since I use both Lightroom and Photoshop for my nature photography, and you get both with the one subscription.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics