•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Seeking comments on Meade 8" LX85 ACF Optical Tube Assembly

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 HarveyDeckAstro

HarveyDeckAstro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Short Hills, New Jersey

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:54 PM

I have been searching for an OTA for some time now. A new SW EQR-6 Pro mount is currently on a UPS truck, but I don't have a scope! Most OTAs are out of stock, but amazingly, Meade 8" LX85 ACF OTA seems to be in stock. Is this scope just not loved?

I have always wanted Edge HD C8 - don't know why, perhaps because many people love it? I have never personally seen through either C8 or M8. So I would really like to hear from people who have experience with these OTAs. My main interest is planetary, but also would try to image DSOs when planets are hiding, like right now.

Should I order the M8 LX85 AFC? Or should I get a small APO and play around until the C8 Edge HD will be available?

#2 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:19 AM

I own the Meade LX85 8” ACF OTA and have been very happy with its performance.  There was some slight focus shift present, so I replaced the stock focuser with a FT micro focuser and that eliminated the issue.  The optics are very sharp.  I’ve never observed through an Edge scope, so can’t comment there.

Bill

#3 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:48 AM

I have been searching for an OTA for some time now. A new SW EQR-6 Pro mount is currently on a UPS truck, but I don't have a scope! Most OTAs are out of stock, but amazingly, Meade 8" LX85 ACF OTA seems to be in stock. Is this scope just not loved?

I have always wanted Edge HD C8 - don't know why, perhaps because many people love it? I have never personally seen through either C8 or M8. So I would really like to hear from people who have experience with these OTAs. My main interest is planetary, but also would try to image DSOs when planets are hiding, like right now.

Should I order the M8 LX85 AFC? Or should I get a small APO and play around until the C8 Edge HD will be available?

The difference for planetary is non-existant since that target group will only utilize the center of the field and never be in question as having a difference.  

The Edge 'may' show some difference with eyepeices of 82-100+ degree field of view but not of a significant degree that the novice would be disturbed at all.  And any possible difference will occur at the outer 15-20% of that field of view, thus unless distinctly looking for defect it's not likely to be plainly visible.   

The LX85 OTA is only less popular because photographically people will tend to pay a bit extra for the LX200 mirror lock system but otherwise optically the two mirror sets will perform equally.  

• eros312 likes this

#4 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:55 AM

I own several ACFs from 6” to 12”, f/10s and f/8s, with and without the mirror lock, and they are all consistently optically excellent and mechanically sound. I tend not to use the mirror lock preferring a Meade electronic micro focuser to set the fine focus. Also, the mirror shift in these has been pretty small to nil. They are very nice scopes!

• eros312 likes this

#5 HarveyDeckAstro

HarveyDeckAstro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:41 PM

Great! Thanks everyone for recommending this OTA. I have just placed the order at High Point Scientific. Looking forward to using it with EQR-6!

#6 BWAZ

BWAZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:05 PM

The M8 ACF is a fine scope. I owned many C8's including a C8HD and one particular LX200R 8". The latter had one of the best star tests I've ever seen in a SCT. 

As for the filed correction, it's highly YMMV and I did find the C8HD was indeed refractor like in this regard, and the M8 could use a tiny tweak of focus from time to time dpending on the target observed and EP used. 

#7 HarveyDeckAstro

HarveyDeckAstro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:21 PM

Thanks! Would a reducer and field flattener work well with the Meade, if I were to attempt DOS imaging? Visually I can live with imperfections off the center.

I read that it would be challenging to image DSO with long focal length. For DOS, I will follow the usual advise and get an APO when they are available.

I am just excited to finally have a scope to play with!

#8 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:59 PM

The ACFs, like other corrected SCTs, doesn’t need a field flattener and should be used with a non-flattening focal reducer like the Lupus focal reducer. Personally, I like to leave mine at their native focal length, even my 12” f/8 ACF.

#9 EXT64

EXT64

Ranger 4

• Loc: Great Mills, MD, USA

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:50 AM

The first scope I ever imaged on (in college) was a 14in Celestron SCT and my current is a 10in Meade F/8 ACF.  I think the keys to enjoyment early on are picking the right target for your narrow FOV, getting a good mount (I use a G11G, though there are plenty of great options including your choice), and figuring out a good guiding solution early on (I recommend OAG).  Watch your camera "backfocus", dial in the collimation, and I think you will love it.

Do note that the ACF is not a flat field scope, however if your sensor is APS-C or smaller you likely won't notice.  I did some testing with a full frame and that pushed it a little too far, but it was still surprisingly usable.

Edited by EXT64, 27 February 2021 - 11:51 AM.

#10 HarveyDeckAstro

HarveyDeckAstro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! Just got the OTA today, very happy! I will take one step a time, work within the limitations. A lot to learn!

#11 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:35 PM

Well perhaps maybe asking the wrong person at the moment as I’ve posted another thread with my Meade 12” LX90 ACF 

personally tho I think the ACF optics are great for visual purposes,there mounts on the other hand um not so sure

#12 HarveyDeckAstro

HarveyDeckAstro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:33 PM

I got Sky Watcher EQR-6 Pro as mount, so I will avoid any problem with Meade mounts :-) The mount is still on UPS truck after two weeks. Don’t know why.

Good to hear that Meade optics is good!

#13 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Gemini

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:52 AM

With regards to UPS, can they just leave your mount at a hub center and you go pick it up? I did that when UPS wouldn’t drive on our snowy dirt road.

#14 HarveyDeckAstro

HarveyDeckAstro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:52 PM

That’s a good idea. Will call them and see where the mount is.

It has been on delay alert for four straight days, no new updates. Very frustrating. The Meade is just sitting there waiting for the mount. Wasted all recent clear skies ;-(

#15 tjsmicro

tjsmicro

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:38 AM

I have a Meade LX 85 mount, when I had the kids out last night the power cord was loose some one stepped on it and broke the female power input. Does anyone know what size plug this is and what description I use. Also I took out the four screws on top of the power box and the top won't come off. I don't know if this is the proper place for this question but this is my first time on 
Cloudy Nights.

#16 HarveyDeckAstro

HarveyDeckAstro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:02 PM

Welcome to CN!

I don’t have the LX85 mount. I have only the OTA. I suggest you start a new topic with an informative title. There must be owners of the mount itself who can answer your question.

Good luck!

#17 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Gemini

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:27 AM

Welcome to CN!

I don’t have the LX85 mount. I have only the OTA. I suggest you start a new topic with an informative title. There must be owners of the mount itself who can answer your question.

Good luck!

Did you ever get your EQ6-R mount from UPS?

#18 HarveyDeckAstro

HarveyDeckAstro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 March 2021 - 07:45 AM

Yes, I got it finally yesterday! Looks fine to me, although I need to get a power source for it. As a novice I did not know there would be no power adapter. Could have ordered ahead if more experienced!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics