•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What's going on with my Baader Zoom?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rhcrooks

rhcrooks

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:47 PM

I noticed (while holding up the eyepiece not in a scope, but against the light of my computer monitor) that on the 24mm setting I see artifacts that look like this:

Untitled.png

It's most pronounced on the 24mm setting of the zoom when in strong light.

I've used it at night and since all the "cracks" are on the edge they are pretty much imperceptible to me.

Just curious if anyone knows what is going on - the EP has never been dropped.

RHC

#2 AtlantaAstro

AtlantaAstro

Mariner 2

• Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:53 PM

Looks like maybe one of the lenses inside has cracked. You may not have dropped it but somebody else could have. Other than that I would think maybe it’s scratches but on the inside lens

#3 rhcrooks

rhcrooks

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:56 PM

I'm the original owner. I don't think it's abuse. The cracks looks like stress fractures to me. Almost as if there's some ring that's too right in the ep?  Or if there is a differential expansion between the coating and the glass?

This is a Baader Zoom Mk III, btw

Also, if the consensus is that this is what a drop looks likes, I'm open to the possibility that misremembered safely returning my eyepiece aside after a night of observing.

Edited by rhcrooks, 26 February 2021 - 12:04 AM.

#4 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:38 AM

If you are still getting good views why worry too much about it just use it , it might outlast you, lol ! Until / if it fails keep on truckin’ !  PS:  Unless you are a perfectionist, lol !

Edited by LDW47, 26 February 2021 - 12:39 AM.

#5 rhcrooks

rhcrooks

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:46 AM

It's my workhorse EP - the one I leave in when nieces and nephews come to look.. and I was dumb enough to think it didn't get dropped!  LOL.  I won't hold it against them all

#6 Dave_L

Dave_L

Vostok 1

• Loc: Joshua Tree, CA

Posted 26 February 2021 - 01:01 AM

Hi Vostok. Thank you for all your contributions to CN over the years. Yes, this one looks like it got dropped and cracked. But I would like to take this moment to talk about a similar experience I had at the national park, and how valuable it is to invest about $20 in the proper equipment needed to properly clean eyepieces. I had an eyepiece that was horrendous. I thought it was cracked. I was actually considering tossing it out. All it needed was some love. I'm not saying that is the case here... your 8x24 looks cracked. I just want to remind folks to invest in one of those bulb dusters and the proper cleaning solution or wipes. And to only clean when necessary. I clean my gear about once a year, but using proper cleaning techniques is imperative. Clear skies and stay safe. 

#7 rhcrooks

rhcrooks

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 01:12 AM

center's still good on it - zoom works well - can't see the cracks at night.  Seems to me no one has to know and it'll last as long as I do :)

• LDW47 likes this

#8 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:23 AM

center's still good on it - zoom works well - can't see the cracks at night.  Seems to me no one has to know and it'll last as long as I do smile.gif

A great way to look at it !

#9 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:35 PM

center's still good on it - zoom works well - can't see the cracks at night.  Seems to me no one has to know and it'll last as long as I do smile.gif

If the lens was actually cracked you would see it by shining a bright light into the lens group. What do the lenses look like under close inspection with a bright light?

#10 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:56 PM

Since I have seen dirt and other marks inside the Baader Zoom eyepieces for years (the debris varies in size), I suspect

the issue is dirt or even lubricant on one of the interior lenses.

It could also be the growth of mold.

Either way, the only way to know for sure what the issue is is to dismantle the eyepiece and clean the internal lenses.

Otherwise, all of this is pure speculation.

• AtlantaAstro likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics