•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Premium monocular recommendation?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Barry Kawa

Barry Kawa

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:35 AM

I'm a recent monocular convert, having picked up a Goto Optical 5X18 monocular at Starbase Tokyo, which has a nice 10-degree field of view and excellent eye relief. I find that I can easily hold it steady for night-sky viewing and the views through it are razor sharp, as you would expect from a Goto Optical product. Also not cheap!

https://www.goto.co.jp/monocular/

Saying that, I now want a higher-power premium monocular to complement my Goto. I am torn between the Zeiss 10X25T, the Zeiss 8X20T and the Leica Monovid 8X20. I'm leading toward the Leica but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

• SpaceConqueror3 likes this

#2 ihf

ihf

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 26 February 2021 - 01:32 AM

Do you need the eye relief because you wear glasses? When I didn't need the eye relief the Docter 8x21 was excellent. It could be held solidly in one hand. Unfortunately it is not made anymore. One problem with long tubes/monoculars ,especially if used one handed, is that they shake a lot. So I prefer lower magnifications as you do especially the Vixen 6x21.

• Barry Kawa likes this

#3 Barry Kawa

Barry Kawa

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 01:39 AM

I do. I've tried out both the Nikon 5X15HG and 7X15HG and found the eye relief of the 7X15s to be too short. But the 5X15HGs were excellent, if I didn't already have a 5-power monocular, I would have bought them, or the Vixen 6X21 HR ED, which also have good eye relief.

From the specs, I think all the Leica and Zeiss monoculars would be fine. The nice thing about living near Tokyo is that its relatively easy to go to a store and buy something, which I hope to do this weekend.

#4 litesong

litesong

Viking 1

Posted 26 February 2021 - 01:44 AM

I’ve got dozens of optics. Use my Tasco 10x40mm monocular about 5% of the time. Cost one dollar, because no one else wanted it. Thank U vedy much.

Edited by litesong, 26 February 2021 - 01:47 AM.

• Barry Kawa likes this

#5 SpaceConqueror3

SpaceConqueror3

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA

Posted 26 February 2021 - 01:53 AM

Zeiss has a whole line up of them....probably as premium as it gets.

https://www.zeiss.co...monoculars.html

• Barry Kawa and edwincjones like this

#6 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:28 AM

the Leica Monovid 8x20 is about as premium as one can get with very good optics and construction, and the close up attachment gives great views of small things like

flowers and bugs.  I have the cute red one!

There are several threads from the past about the Monovid

edj

Edited by edwincjones, 26 February 2021 - 05:29 AM.

• Barry Kawa, SpaceConqueror3 and ihf like this

#7 Barry Kawa

Barry Kawa

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:38 AM

Thanks, Edwin, I have read all those threads about the Monovid, which really got me interested in buying one! I’m tempted to go for the red, but I really want the silver one. I was hoping that somebody has tried them all and would recommend the Zeiss over the Leica, they are considerably cheaper. I have a lot of binoculars but never liked carrying one around with me for a spur of the moment viewing. But I’m carrying my small Goto monocular with me everywhere! 

• litesong and warddl like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics