•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Today's solar images from Wisconsin

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hamers

hamers

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Madison, WI

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:44 AM

The weather here was finally above freezing, making it much easier!  Still working out some technical issues, but did manage to get a nice image of AR2804 and a floating prominence. 11_05_09__pipp_lapl5_ap14980_mod.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• prom1c.png

• rigel123, photomagica, Jamey L Jenkins and 8 others like this

#2 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Valencia, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:51 AM

That AR you captured there, wow!! Nice!! Nice pic, thanks for sharing!

Edited by astro rocketeer, 26 February 2021 - 01:04 AM.

• hamers likes this

#3 chemman

chemman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:24 AM

Very nice photos hamers.

Chuck

#4 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:44 AM

Glad you had a “heat wave”!  Is the pic of the AR with a WL set up?  Some nice details in the sunspot.

#5 hamers

hamers

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:57 AM

Glad you had a “heat wave”!  Is the pic of the AR with a WL set up?  Some nice details in the sunspot.

Hi- Thanks- these are both with my Tak TSA-120 and the Lunt single-stack LS100FHa etalon/B1200 blocking filter.   I did visual as you suggested also. I beginning to get the hang of what to look for better.  There are some distinct contrast changes in the feculae  as I tune the etalon, although somewhat more subtle than I had though they would be. I only imaged the sunspot for about 30 minutes but fond it good for focusing, and then switched over to looking at the proms, where the contrast changes with etalon tuning were more easily observable.  I took images of another prom (not the one shown here) over about 90 minute period and wanted to see if I could observe changes, but I haven't had time to do this. (I'm working full time, but took a personal day yesterday).   I'm using sharp-cap for capture and tried using the focusing tool to see if that would give me a better way of idetnifying the best tilt position of the etalon but it wasn't clear that it did any better than my eyeball.  Slowly learning !    I was curious about whether there are other software tools to help.  I notice a lot of people use Firecap for capture.  I'm using Shapcap because it's been my "go-to" program for DSO imaging and I'm comfortable with all the controls and tools.    Also curious about how you make your videos.  

So far my work flow has been:

Sharpcap (acquisition)

Pipp (I tried that this time to grade the imaging quality of my stream), picking best 20% from 5000 frames

AutoStakkert to register

Pixinsight to do some background correction in the prom image (I defininitely need to improve that), using dynamic background extraction

Photoshop to stretch histogram (just using the "curves" function.

Any thoughts/suggestions/improvements/criticisms appreciated!

#6 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:29 AM

Good captures! That spot grew!

Very best,

• Stardust Dave and hamers like this

#7 hamers

hamers

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:56 AM

Good captures! That spot grew!

Very best,

Thanks!  Nothing compare to some of the outstanding images you and some other have gotten.  But hopefully with some more practice (and maybe enough $$ for the double-stack!) eventually I'll get there... Something to aspire to !   

Best,

Bob

Edited by hamers, 26 February 2021 - 08:56 AM.

#8 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:26 AM

Hi- Thanks- these are both with my Tak TSA-120 and the Lunt single-stack LS100FHa etalon/B1200 blocking filter.   I did visual as you suggested also. I beginning to get the hang of what to look for better.  There are some distinct contrast changes in the feculae  as I tune the etalon, although somewhat more subtle than I had though they would be. I only imaged the sunspot for about 30 minutes but fond it good for focusing, and then switched over to looking at the proms, where the contrast changes with etalon tuning were more easily observable.  I took images of another prom (not the one shown here) over about 90 minute period and wanted to see if I could observe changes, but I haven't had time to do this. (I'm working full time, but took a personal day yesterday).   I'm using sharp-cap for capture and tried using the focusing tool to see if that would give me a better way of idetnifying the best tilt position of the etalon but it wasn't clear that it did any better than my eyeball.  Slowly learning !    I was curious about whether there are other software tools to help.  I notice a lot of people use Firecap for capture.  I'm using Shapcap because it's been my "go-to" program for DSO imaging and I'm comfortable with all the controls and tools.    Also curious about how you make your videos.  

So far my work flow has been:

Sharpcap (acquisition)

Pipp (I tried that this time to grade the imaging quality of my stream), picking best 20% from 5000 frames

AutoStakkert to register

Pixinsight to do some background correction in the prom image (I defininitely need to improve that), using dynamic background extraction

Photoshop to stretch histogram (just using the "curves" function.

Any thoughts/suggestions/improvements/criticisms appreciated!

OK, I need to remember this is a single stacked scope, I was just surprised at the detail in the penumbra which you typically don't see much of in an HA view when tuned on band.  Your workflow looks fine, although I don't use PI (lord knows I have tried!).  As to my videos I assume you mean the animations that I post so I'll give you the link to my latest tutorial I threw together last year on the steps I use to produce those.  As to focusing, using a sunspot or some other feature that has some contrast to it and then cranking up Gamma to enhance that contrast and focus on that and then either turn off Gamma or reduce it to take your images is the best method I have found for focusing.  I don't feel any of the focus tools are better than what you can do with your eyes for solar imaging.

Here is that tutorial I mentioned:    https://youtu.be/AI2PGDVrxk0

Edited by rigel123, 26 February 2021 - 09:27 AM.

#9 mikerepp

mikerepp

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Harwood Heights, Illinois, dark site Manistique, Michigan in UP

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:33 AM

Well done, very good detail.  Thanks for sharing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics