•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Video capture slow in Parallels

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 qprmeteor

qprmeteor

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waterford, Ireland

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:36 AM

Hi all.

I have Parallels running on a 2012 MacBook Pro (Catalina), with Windows 10 as the guest OS: generally, it's fine, and a performance upgrade on the VirtualBox install I had, except for problems with video capture for things like planetary imaging. I use Backyard EOS for imaging, and when running in planetary imaging mode, I'm only getting FPS of 1-2, versus the 20+ FPS I get under VirtualBox and native Windows. I get the same issue if I try imaging with APT.

Paralells says that USB 3.0 is enabled, but the FPS suggests it's down at USB 2?

Perhaps I'm missing something silly - any advice gladly welcolmed.

Cheers,

Brian

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:53 AM

1. You have to, from BIOS setting, enable VTx and VTd.

2. In your hypervisor (Parallels or VirtualBox) setting, turn on "USB pass through" feature

With both, the host OS will have direct access to the physical USB port.  That is to get the host OS' (MacOS OSX) grab of USB (even it's a shim) out of way. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics