•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LiveView vs. RAW Stack for Lunar Imaging

DSLR Moon Imaging Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:47 AM

G'day all,

I shoot with a Canon 600D/T3i. Some time ago, I did an experiment on the sun to see what worked better to capture surface detail: a JPEGs, a RAWs, or a stack of LiveView frames. For such a bright, low-contrast target, I found that a single RAW frame did better than 3500 LiveView frames.

(Click for full size.)

sml_gallery_273658_9624_300765.jpg

I always assumed this was true for the moon as well, but last year I got some decent quality LiveView stacks on it up well past the diffraction limit of my 7-in Mak (~f/50). I was wondering about this again a few nights ago as I was trying to get decent full-disk images with my 200mm lens. So I captured a set of both for comparison. I also compared L-RGB with L and RGB from either stack (so 4 combinations):

LLiveView-RGBLiveView (Click for full size.)

sml_gallery_273658_12412_187058.jpg

LLiveView-RGBRAW (Click for full size.)

sml_gallery_273658_12412_368036.jpg

LRAW-RGBRAW (Click for full size.)

sml_gallery_273658_12412_75458.jpg

LRAW-RGBLiveView (Click for full size.)

sml_gallery_273658_12412_39160.jpg

Here's an animated toggle among the four:

https://www.cloudyni...2412_422027.png

At least for this setup, the RAW stack is far superior to the LiveView.

Cheers,

BQ

• John_Moore and astro rocketeer like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DSLR, Moon, Imaging, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics