•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher Pillar mount with HEQ-5

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 planedriver

planedriver

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:45 AM

Hi all,

Let me share my initial experience with the SW Pillar for the HEQ-5 mount. 

Package: it came in two boxes - the courier returned 10 mins after he left initially with the second box. All parts were in plastic bags - no complaint with the package

Parts: not to many - three legs and the pillar itself. The pillar is subsequently heavier than the legs which was a surprise really. Two allen keys included.

Assembly: a little tricky to keep the three legs together but not to tighten them too much before the pillar is added as the one of the "holes" is actually open. I have used a thick book to support the middle section during this and it is quite handy to have someone to help during the process.

Note that the legs will not attach to each other tightly - and the same is true to the pillar-leg joining all around - see attached picture. This is very important as I think there might be a risk of over tightening / stressing and possibly breaking the leg attachment (  the open hole part ) if trying to over-tighten the screws holding the legs together. Once assembled the pillar sits very tightly in the middle.

On top three allen screws hold the mount attachment without any slip.

The bolts at the end of the legs are actually beefier than they look on the pictures. The rubber-plastic cup on their end might not last too long as those are sheared continuously during turning and setting up. It takes a bit more effort and time leveling it compared to the usual tripod. Once the correct position is found it is very important to counter tight the position of the bolts as it will make the setup more stable.( see pic)

The wheels are ok - could be bigger as far as I'm concerned - but obviously that would affect the size of the legs and the bolts at the ends.

Altogether a very stable mount which can be very useful for those who can use the rolling function. Actually I'm considering a second one for my other mount too.

Brgds,

A

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-02-25_09-13-55.jpg
  • 2021-02-25_09-13-39.jpg
  • IMG_20210225_211113.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics