•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CEM40 Star alignment issue

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Spacegun

Spacegun

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Exeter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:22 AM

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone has the same issue as myself.

Recently purchased the above mount and cannot seem to do a star alignment with my hand controller..It simply does not slew to any visible star I choose.

So I do my polar alignment with iPolar once setting my zero position and when I choose a 1, 2 or 3 star alignment it just simply does not slew to any alignment star...The gps setting are correct..it's got me scratching my head a bit.

Been getting around this by plate solving and whatnot but i'd like to get this sorted.

Anyone else have had a similar issue??

Thanks guys

Andrew

#2 WoodlandsAstronomer

WoodlandsAstronomer

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:39 AM

May want to try clearing calibration, searching for zero position, then going through polar alignment and then hitting up the one two or three star alignment routine. What focal length eyepiece are you using? May help using a widefield ep to help you see the alignment star and then center it. But if you have the ability to platesolve, why bother with the hand controller?

#3 Spacegun

Spacegun

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:46 AM

Hi Woodlands,

Cheers for replying...I know what you're saying about 'Why bother' if I plate solve...but, I like things to work how they should you know.

I've cleared calibration data and tried again...still no luck. I'll keep plugging away.

Cheers again.

Edited by Spacegun, 26 February 2021 - 08:46 AM.

• RandallK likes this

#4 WoodlandsAstronomer

WoodlandsAstronomer

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:41 AM

Spacegun,

See this other thread several people posted up their exact procedures that work for them. Usually it’s some combination of setting right lat long, clearing alignment data, finding resetting proper zero, and ensuring mount is level that gets you there. One poster in the thread below also figured out that his saddle adjustment was off causing some error in alignment accuracy. You should find your answers in the following thread. Let me know if it works for you.

PS try a 40mm wide fov eyepiece during alignment

https://www.cloudyni...he-same-amount/

Edited by WoodlandsAstronomer, 26 February 2021 - 09:47 AM.

• RandallK likes this

#5 Spacegun

Spacegun

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:48 AM

Hi Ranger,

Thanks for replying..that's the issue...the mount doesn't slew at all to the first star or any star for that matter once i've gone through the setup.

Polar aligned, set zero position..but cannot star align at all frown.gif

Cheers

Edited by Spacegun, 26 February 2021 - 09:48 AM.

#6 sc285

sc285

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northeastern KS

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:50 AM

Can't remember if it make a difference on alignment or not (I do know it does for slewing when it hits the stop), but is your dec axis aligned such that the ports on the dovetail are on the SOUTH side of the mount and not the North? Some people have started with the ports on the north side of the scope and ran into problems.

Just sayin....

#7 WoodlandsAstronomer

WoodlandsAstronomer

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:53 AM

Okay I’m sorry I misread that, so it’s not even attempting to slew to the alignment star. I assume the manual controls are working? You can manually move the scope around with the paddle?

Hi Ranger,

Thanks for replying..that's the issue...the mount doesn't slew at all to the first star or any star for that matter once i've gone through the setup.

Polar aligned, set zero position..but cannot star align at all frown.gif

Cheers

#8 Spacegun

Spacegun

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:57 AM

Okay I’m sorry I misread that, so it’s not even attempting to slew to the alignment star. I assume the manual controls are working? You can manually move the scope around with the paddle?

Ye, doesn't even slew to first star..But does manually slew.....It's strange.

Cheers

Edited by Spacegun, 26 February 2021 - 09:59 AM.

#9 Spacegun

Spacegun

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:58 AM

Can't remember if it make a difference on alignment or not (I do know it does for slewing when it hits the stop), but is your dec axis aligned such that the ports on the dovetail are on the SOUTH side of the mount and not the North? Some people have started with the ports on the north side of the scope and ran into problems.

Just sayin....

Hi Mariner,

The ports are on the south side...I have the new CEM40G and before I got started I did make sure I upgraded firmware for both mount and handset.

Cheers

#10 michael8554

michael8554

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 26 February 2021 - 02:16 PM

The method with my Meade mount may also apply to your CEM40:

Select a star from the Stars menu, say Vega

Press ENTER

More info is displayed eg Alpha Lyrae

Press ENTER

Mount does a GoTo to Vega 

• RossW likes this

#11 Spacegun

Spacegun

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 04:59 AM

UPDATE: I've finally fixed the issue...I thought i'd try and reupdate the firmware on the hand controller even though it was on the lastest version. It said that it had already had the latest version on it. I think that going into update mode on the hand controller kicked it into life. So, all I did was go into upgrade mode and come back out and this sorted the issue.

Cheers again for all your help :)

Spacegun

#12 RandallK

RandallK

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:19 PM

That is very interesting indeed. Haven't been out since last October what with weather and health issues. However, I just completed the new (Feb 2010) iOptron firmware updates for both my Hand Controller and the CEM40 (Non EC) mount. Had trouble on the mount update. Would you believe I have two laptops, one did not take the new firmware update. After banging my head around 4 or 5 times and gave up. Next morning I had a brainwave. That was to download the 2 firmware updates, hand controller and mount, on the other newer laptop......voila! They both updated from the new computer but not from the other.....strange!  

I was the original poster of not being able to get my three alignment stars into view. I discovered I was using the wrong 12mm reticle eyepiece....I forgot about my later purchase of a 24mm reticle eyepiece and most of the time the stars were not centered, but were at least in view. With this new firmware update, maybe things will even be better.

I agree with SpaceGun about Plate Solving....sure...for imaging fine and dandy.  But for wandering around the skies, and accurate 3 star alignment is the ticket.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics