•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New SVBony SV305

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AA5TB

AA5TB

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:32 PM

On February 23rd I received my SvBONY SV305 telescope camera. I've always said I'm mostly a visually observer but I thought it be nice to have something to capture special Lunar and planetary events. I'd been getting some lucky shots with my cell phone through my telescope but this little camera makes it easy. After learning the software and adjusting the white balance, etc. I captured this shot of the moon. It seems to be equivalent to about a 5 mm eyepiece in my telescope. The 1.250000" barrel adapter doesn't fit well into my 1.250000" focuser without a hammer but it does fit easily into my Celestron 2X Barlow that is a little looser on the specs. So I'm really pushing the magnification limits of my cheap telescope at ~180X and I could only capture part of the Moon but I'm happy with the results of this single shot so far. I can't wait until I can see Jupiter and Saturn again. I still need a lot of practice to clean up the noise but with the seeing being poor last night and the high wind I was lucky not to get just a blur.

I was using my 102 mm, f/4.5, achromatic refractor telescope with a 60 mm aperture mask to reduce the CA (equivalent to f/7.65) and the 2X Barlow. Fixed, manual Alt/Az mount.

SvBONY SV305 Moon

• John_Moore, BFaucett, gfstallin and 6 others like this

#2 Eclipsed

Eclipsed

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:51 AM

That’s a great pic of the Moon.  I imaged the Moon using my F/10 Celestron and Sv305 on February 23rd myself.  Here in Ohio it finally was above freezing and the sky was more stable and clear than it has been so far this calendar year!  I only took two videos and they only needed very light processing using my usual PPIP/Autostakkert/Registax combo.  I’m pretty pleased with the results but could have focused more on getting the focus exactly right.  Link to YT video https://youtu.be/uGBWZzoxnWo 

• BFaucett, AA5TB and crazysaint like this

#3 AA5TB

AA5TB

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:51 AM

That’s a great pic of the Moon.  I imaged the Moon using my F/10 Celestron and Sv305 on February 23rd myself.  Here in Ohio it finally was above freezing and the sky was more stable and clear than it has been so far this calendar year!  I only took two videos and they only needed very light processing using my usual PPIP/Autostakkert/Registax combo.  I’m pretty pleased with the results but could have focused more on getting the focus exactly right.  Link to YT video https://youtu.be/uGBWZzoxnWo 

Very cool Martyn! So far I think the camera is good for what it is designed for and the cost.

#4 crazysaint

crazysaint

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 28 February 2021 - 03:46 PM

Beautiful! This is my best moon capture so far, taken with the 305 through my 80MM F11 Celestron Powerseeker. Had some pretty bad chromatic aberration that I attempted to correct.

Moon color mosaic taken 12/26

• Eclipsed, LukaszLu and Borodog like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics