•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Shipping Update

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:09 AM

I bought a whole bunch of astronomy gear from Agena Astro last weekend and it was sent out Monday. I usually use USPS which I have always had great, efficient success with but due to many, many negative posts in the last few months I decided to use UPS as an experiment for slightly less cost than USPS, I knew there would be brokerage and Canadian taxes to pay at some point. The distance from Agena’s site to my home in North Bay, Ontario, Canada has to be at least 2000 miles, as the crow flys. Well it is here now, imagine 5 business days incl. customs clearance and the brokerage was only $23 C, talk about fast ! I might even get to like brokerage costs, lol ? As someone once said ‘the times they are a changin’, lol ? Life in the mail room is good, at least in this instance, lol !

• junomike, ram812 and DSOGabe like this

#2 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:12 AM

I bought a whole bunch of astronomy gear from Agena Astro last weekend and it was sent out Monday. I usually use USPS which I have always had great, efficient success with but due to many, many negative posts in the last few months I decided to use UPS as an experiment for slightly less cost than USPS, I knew there would be brokerage and Canadian taxes to pay at some point. The distance from Agena’s site to my home in North Bay, Ontario, Canada has to be at least 2000 miles, as the crow flys. Well it is here now, imagine 5 business days incl. customs clearance and the brokerage was only $23 C, talk about fast ! I might even get to like brokerage costs, lol ? As someone once said ‘the times they are a changin’, lol ? Life in the mail room is good, at least in this instance, lol !

Maybe I should have posted this in the Equipment forum ??

#3 ram812

ram812

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Grants Pass, Oregon. Originally Los Osos/Morro Bay, California

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:39 AM

Last time I used UPS they had brought a heavy mount out and though the box was marked "Fragile", the driver THREW the 70# box out the back door of his truck, luckily right into my arms! What he didn't know was I had just been operated on and had internal stitching done. I basically cradle-dropped it and right then pulled my post-op med. pants down to my waist (It was actually a little further down!) And showed the guy the bloody staples (!) in my pelvis/groin I had just had repaired! (Mesh implant)
That was the last time, over 8 years ago. I use FedEx or USPS exclusively.
My .02.
CS, Ralph
  • Starsareus and LDW47 like this

#4 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:55 AM

Last time I used UPS they had brought a heavy mount out and though the box was marked "Fragile", the driver THREW the 70# box out the back door of his truck, luckily right into my arms! What he didn't know was I had just been operated on and had internal stitching done. I basically cradle-dropped it and right then pulled my post-op med. pants down to my waist (It was actually a little further down!) And showed the guy the bloody staples (!) in my pelvis/groin I had just had repaired! (Mesh implant)
That was the last time, over 8 years ago. I use FedEx or USPS exclusively.
My .02.
CS, Ralph

I hope the neighbours weren’t looking, lol ! On a serious note, I hope nothing was damaged to you or the mount ? 

• ram812 likes this

#5 johrich

johrich

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:15 AM

I also ordered a new ZWO camera and accessories from Agena, a few weeks ago. I used UPS 3 day shipping. Agena had it packed and ready to ship the same day. I live in GA and UPS gave me a delivery date of last Tuesday. The package got to Louisville, KY on Monday, and then I got a weather delay, and they shipped it to Dallas, TX. I got a new delivery date of last Thursday and then, of course, Dallas got nailed with 2 bad snow storms. So, more weather delays. However, the package did finally arrive this week on Wednesday, and the package was fine. So, not sure I can totally blame UPS, but why when it got to KY, they shipped it to Dallas, right before 2 snow storms, I haven't quite figured out.
  • ram812 likes this

#6 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:24 AM

I also ordered a new ZWO camera and accessories from Agena, a few weeks ago. I used UPS 3 day shipping. Agena had it packed and ready to ship the same day. I live in GA and UPS gave me a delivery date of last Tuesday. The package got to Louisville, KY on Monday, and then I got a weather delay, and they shipped it to Dallas, TX. I got a new delivery date of last Thursday and then, of course, Dallas got nailed with 2 bad snow storms. So, more weather delays. However, the package did finally arrive this week on Wednesday, and the package was fine. So, not sure I can totally blame UPS, but why when it got to KY, they shipped it to Dallas, right before 2 snow storms, I haven't quite figured out.

On the UPS website they have a disclaimer right at the top about weather delays and shipping disruptions, its not hidden, its Mother Nature at work ! Anything can happen incl. reasons for rerouting. Phone and ask them why Dallas !

• ram812 likes this

#7 ram812

ram812

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Grants Pass, Oregon. Originally Los Osos/Morro Bay, California

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:31 AM

I hope the neighbours weren’t looking, lol ! On a serious note, I hope nothing was damaged to you or the mount ?

Ha! No neighbors, I'm far enough away thet can't even see my laundry hang-drying😁. The box had a small puncture about the size of my fist, but the contents were in "New" shape. No, the kid dropping the box off was more embarrassed than I was. My Dr. was livid😯. The UPS is O.K. for small stuff but I wouldn't have them deliver another mount to me. The whole thing seemed to happen so fast I didn't have a chance to say "Hey, 'Nay', or ' I've got a big hole in my crotch, don't throw that mount box down to me'"🤣!

CS, Ralph😁
  • LDW47 likes this

#8 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:08 AM

What was the percentage of the Brokerage fee?

#9 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:58 AM

What was the percentage of the Brokerage fee?

About 18% which I accept but the shipping was a few $ cheaper but the thing that stunned me was the speed that I received my order ie. 5 days, Mon. to Fri. I have ordered thousands of $’s worth of whatever from mainly the US using USPS mostly but this transaction is up there with the best. I guess everything just falls into place some times, actually the only hold up was when the package reached UPS’s Ontario depot, it lost about a day, before being shipped to my home 200 mi+ away. This level of service, after all the negative posts on how other members packages got lost, got shipped back and from and to other parts of the country etc. and mine had to go through Customs Clearance, was as good as it can get from my lengthy experience. The next time its anyones guess ?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics