In short, I'm *very* happy about the high power views I get in the 4" f/7.4 Tak with my pair of Pentax XL 5.2mm (65dev AFoV), and I'd like to have similar experience in lower power as well. What EPs would provide it?
I'm agonizing over low(er) power WA eyepieces for my setup:
- Tak FC-100DF: ED fluorite doublet 100/740 => convex field curvature with ~250mm radius, if I get it right (?)
- Baader Zeiss T2 prism
- Baader Maxbright II binoviewer
- dioptrix/custom-made alternative/my glasses (astigmatism, required)
I'm trying to match the following:
- something around 2.5mm exit pupil.
- good fit for the FC of my scope
- AFoV of 65deg or above would be nice, I'd settle for 60 if it were the only compromise.
- 1.25" diameter and 20mm eye relief
A nice bonus would be if they worked very well with my binoviewer & 1.7xGPC in my 250/1180 Dob too. The coma-correcting GPC gives ~f/8 - close to f/7.4 of my refractor, but the field curvature is different, I guess. So excellent performance in my Tak is the priority.
(Note about prices: Televue EPs are often recommended here, but cost about 150% of US prices in Europe, where I could get them - this makes them perhaps less obvious choice for me, compared to japanese EPs)
The candidates so far, and my concerns:
- Baader Morpheus 17.5mm (76°) - BillP reports "a small amount of FC" in a setup very similar to mine
- Televue Delite 18.2mm (62°) - inflated price in my case and a narrower FoV
- Nikon NAV SW 17.5mm (68°) - none, lack of relevant reports?
- Pentax XW 20mm (70°) - presumably the FC of the EP mismatches that of my scope?
- other options...?
Of course I don't want to spend more than necessary, but I'm also willing to bite the bullet once, cash out and be done with it for life, if the performance is *optimal*. My intention is to *use* that pair, rather than to get into an endless cycle of experimenting, doubting if there is a better option, reselling, hunting for next...
I do have pairs of 52° EPs that provide *either* the TFoV *or* the exit pupil I'm after, and also another pair of EPs that ticks all the boxes above *except* the sharp outer field. If there is no solution to my problem, I'll just accept it and will continue to use those I have.
I'm especially interested in real, hands-on experience of people using a scope of comparable dimensions/optical properties to mine.