•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moon 02-24-2021 Artistic Interpretation Mosaic Composite

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim J Fowler

Tim J Fowler

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seneca, South Carolina

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:07 PM

I spent Wednesday evening jumping all over the sky taking various pictures with my Canon T3i piggybacked on my 8" Meade LX90, and at the end of the session I slewed over to the moon to take a peek. The sky was unusually stable, and I felt like I had to try to get some Moon images, so I put on my T-Ring adapter and took five videos covering the surface of the Moon. My PC takes forever to stack these videos, so I've been working on that in my spare

time since Thursday morning. Finally, this afternoon, I got them all stacked and processed. Used I.C.E. to make a mosaic. Took and older picture I took of the full Moon and darkened it to use for what little there would have been of the

"dark side", then used a picture I took Wednesday night in the area of the Rosette Nebula (the Moon covers up where the Rosette would have been had I collected enough data). Anyway, I know it isn't "astronomically correct", or everyone's cup-o-tea, but I like it. The second photo is the mosaic without all of the GIMP wizardry, only the I.C.E. wizardry.

Hope you enjoy them - Tim

Attached Thumbnails

• 02-24-2021 Moon Mosaic Composite CN small.jpg
  • 02-24-2021 Moon stitch R6 PSP G small.jpg

• Kenny V., Jim Waters, petert913 and 6 others like this

#2 James Ball

James Ball

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:38 PM

I like it!  It looks more like what you would see looking at the moon naked eye, since you might see more stars nearby than when looking through a scope.

• Tim J Fowler likes this

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:12 PM

Real nice composite image.

#4 Tim J Fowler

Tim J Fowler

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seneca, South Carolina

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:37 PM

I appreciate the likes and replies. The composite image was fun to make, just learning new techniques! The mosaic part was just painful getting my PC to stack the videos, but I'm happy with the final results.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics