•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice for May 26th Lunar eclipse

Moon
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PJP

PJP

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ area

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:04 PM

I've been shooting the moon with a camera (no scope) for a number of years. The total Lunar Eclipse, January 31st  2018, really escallated my my interest. Since then I've experimented with afocal photography using a spotting scope with marginal results due in a learning curve and a not great scope. Jupiter / Saturn conjunction 12/21/2020 convinced me to purchase a telescope (Skymax 127 MAK) with a Celestron Omni CG-4 mount (purchased the motors as well), and just ordered a Baader Click stop Microstage II adapter for camera. My goal is to obtain a really nice sequence of the eclipse in May, and looking for advice.

Image attached is 1/31/2018 Lunar Eclipse01.31.18 Lunar Eclipse.jpg

TIA,

Pete

#2 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:20 PM

Well unless you are in Eastern Australia or New Zealand you aren't going to see the whole thing.

https://www.timeandd...nar/2021-may-26

Chris

• PJP likes this

#3 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:22 PM

It's going to be challenging to photograph a lunar eclipse with your scope because it is 1500mm focal length.  For a lunar eclipse, it's preferable to have shorter focal lengths, in order to frame the Moon with room to spare, because you can usually get stars in the field, and a lunar eclipse usually looks more impressive at smaller image scales.  

That said, it can be done, but from your description it also appears that you plan to continue using focal photography with a camera adapter held up to the eyepiece.  This will be frustrating, but the best way to practice is to photograph the Moon at other phases, leading up to the eclipse, so that you can best determine how to use your adapter.  

• vtornado and PJP like this

#4 vtornado

vtornado

Soyuz

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:53 PM

If you get an adapter for an slr for prime focus, that might work for you.

https://www.amazon.c...ctronics&sr=1-1

I used a 900mm refractor for the last lunar eclipse.  Not a good pic, but it gives you the scale of 900mm and prime focus using APS-C camera.

No motor is necessary, something like 1/30th sec at iso 100.

If you want a smaller image consider a .63 focal reducer.   I have one for my C5. I think there is am adapter to convert the thread from you

mak to an SCT thread.  There are smaller 1.25 inch focal reducers that screw into a 1.5 inch barrel, I don't have one and have not tried with one.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4065tiny.jpg

Edited by vtornado, 26 February 2021 - 11:13 PM.

#5 PJP

PJP

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ area

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:15 PM

If you get an adapter for an slr for prime focus, that might work for you.

Thanks! I know that prime focus will result in better images.

One of my foto buddies is also interested of lunar and planetary imaging, she's going to lend me her Nikon D800 for prime focus. I'll be able to test afocal and prime focus on the same subject matter. My current budget doesn't have room for a DSLR that's why my interest in afocal. Astro is only one aspect of my photographic interests.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Moon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics