•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using EQ6-R Pro with Celestron NexStar 130SLT?

Beginner Equipment Mount Celestron DSO
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheChaosMachine

TheChaosMachine

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Virginia, USA

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:05 PM

Hi all!

I've had an Apertura 12" dob and a Celestron NexStar 130SLT for a few years now, but the astrophotography bug has bitten me hard. Realizing that my existing gear cannot take good long exposures (starts to get trails after about 15 seconds on the Celestron), I decided to bite the bullet and get some new gear.

I bought:

• Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro
  • Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
  • ZWO ASI533 MC Pro
  • Orion 6" Astrograph reflector

Unfortunately, the reflector is back-ordered and won't arrive for another couple months. I'd love to get started with learning the equipment and figure that the telescope should functionally be fine but don't actually know because I'm brand new to this all.

Would I be able to unhook the NexStar 130 and attach it to the EQ6-R? I assume I'd need to buy different mounting rings, which may mean it's not worth it to only save a month, but figured I'd ask the experts here. I've done a bunch of searching but my google-fu is weak or there's not much out there.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

#2 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Vostok 1

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:00 AM

I would just get creative and cut out a dovetail out of hard wood and a couple of wide adjustable hose clamps.. Protect the scope with tape so not to scratch things and of course easy on the clamp pressure as to not flex the scope..

• Phishin_phool and TheChaosMachine like this

#3 TheChaosMachine

TheChaosMachine

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Virginia, USA

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:30 PM

That seems pretty feasible without spending much on such a temporary solution. Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the great suggestion.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Equipment, Mount, Celestron, DSO

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics