•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tiny Pentax 500r Mak

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Piaget

Piaget

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:52 PM

A couple weeks ago I got a Pentax 500r mak off GW for $77 , I thought I paid to much but what the h**l it's still a Pentax. Reviews I found before buying were not good. When I got it , my thought was I bought a soda can. It came with a screw in 25x EP. Much to my surprise my Celestron Omni & Nexstar Ep's screwed right in giving me 33x & 38x. With low expectations , I tried on Luna using 33x for best focus range & size. Surprisingly sharp crystal clear views with little aberration. Talk about easy set up , it is a feather weight ... Fine little mak ... Lenses were spotless ... 

Attached Thumbnails

• 020210226_213039.jpg

Edited by Piaget, 26 February 2021 - 10:54 PM.

• mattyfatz, mdowns, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#2 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:08 PM

60mm F8.5?  That 1960s Hutson Chromatar 60 that I bought cheap is 60mm F9...

Tiny Maks are cool -- and useful, too.  Any chance your 500r would accept the Vixen 36.4mm to 1.25" thread-in?

The complicated erecting prism assembly in the Chromatar (& 45* viewing angle) degrades it as an astro-scope...  but, they're still fun to use.  Daytime terrestrial views are brighter than I expected.

$77?  Is it Japan-made?  If so, I wouldn't say that was too much.

• GreyDay likes this

#3 Piaget

Piaget

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:29 PM

Bob , I cannot find any data or catalog info on it at all. Couple forum entries on 1or 2 on the net. I think is from about 1990 according to sparse article dates. It came in a very nice padded hard case with a table top mount w/ slo mo controls & tripod. I cannot tell if it is Japan Maybe someone here will have info on this nice little scope.

#4 Piaget

Piaget

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:05 AM

Bob , I found your CN post on the Hutson Chromatar 60 & have to say it is a beautiful well built little mak ...

• Bomber Bob likes this

#5 GreyDay

GreyDay

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:11 AM

Tiny Maks are cool.

I have a PZO 70mm that gives good astro views and is built like a tank, though the tiny eyepiece connector limits ep choice. One day i'll work out a helical focuser fix and maybe use .965 ep's.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#6 Van Do9:3

Van Do9:3

Viking 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:18 AM

Great find. Very nice price Slice when it comes with case and table top mount. You know drill, glamour shots, please. 

• Piaget likes this

#7 Piaget

Piaget

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:02 PM

Van , you asked for more shots. Notice the tripod folded in the case and then setup , it is a finely engineered all metal tripod that is a gem. True Pentax quality workmanship ... The case is padded & fits like glove ... It was well worth its price ...

Great find. Very nice price Slice when it comes with case and table top mount. You know drill, glamour shots, please. 

0020210301_124352.jpg  0020210301_125242.jpg

Edited by Piaget, 01 March 2021 - 02:04 PM.

• Bomber Bob and Van Do9:3 like this

#8 Van Do9:3

Van Do9:3

Viking 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:31 PM

That is Ian Fleming 007 cool. Thanks for the pix. Not seen a folding tripod like that before. Are there EPs to change the magnification? Wonder if there is a way to attach a camera? Have you been able to find any old catalogues or manuals online?

My

#9 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:15 PM

I had forgotten I had one of those awhile back. Don't remember what eyepieces it had. I also vaguely remember something about screwing the back off and finding a T-ring under it to use it as a 500mm mirror lens. I picked it up at a Wash.DC camera swap meet in the days before eBay. I thought the tripod was kind of neat. Don't remember what I paid for it, but $75-$100 sounds about right. In those days anything with the Pentax name was made in Japan.

Don't hold me to the screw off back but I think that is correct.

I think it was superceded by this model:

Pentax 500 Angled.jpg

Which also came apart to use as a lens like the first one.

Edited by photoracer18, 01 March 2021 - 04:36 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#10 harbinjer

harbinjer

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:39 PM

I had forgotten I had one of those awhile back. Originally came with a 12mm and 20mm eyepieces I think. I also vaguely remember something about screwing the back off and finding a T-ring under it to use it as a 500mm mirror lens. I picked it up at a Wash.DC camera swap meet in the days before eBay. I thought the tripod was kind of neat. Don't remember what I paid for it, but $75-$100 sounds about right. In those days anything with the Pentax name was made in Japan.

I think you're right. I saw one last year and seriously thought of buying it. I'm fairly sure it did have "camera lens mode". There was literature out there, or maybe just an ebay auction with that feature. 

Piaget, that's a nifty little scope. How does it do on the stars? What limits the eyepieces that you can use and/or how do they "screw in"?

#11 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:14 PM

I had forgotten I had one of those awhile back. Don't remember what eyepieces it had. I also vaguely remember something about screwing the back off and finding a T-ring under it to use it as a 500mm mirror lens. I picked it up at a Wash.DC camera swap meet in the days before eBay. I thought the tripod was kind of neat. Don't remember what I paid for it, but $75-$100 sounds about right. In those days anything with the Pentax name was made in Japan.

I think it was superceded by this model:

attachicon.gifPentax 500 Angled.jpg

Which also came apart to use as a lens like the first one.

I wonder if it's the same. The one you posted can have the lens taken off, but Piaget's seems to be longer.

Those ones are available with multiple brands, kenko, jason, with 500mm and 300mm. I think it's pretty cute.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics