•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NexStar Adaptor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ChiefMcGeek

ChiefMcGeek

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chincoteague, VA

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:05 PM

Hey everybody! I was wondering if anyone had made/come across an adaptor for a Celestron Nexstar mount. I just bought a new Celestron tripod out of Classifieds after TSA broke (sheared completely off at the base) the tripod that came with my 8SE. The day it arrived, I pulled it out of the box and looked to make sure it would fit like I thought it would - turns out, the NexStar mount's mounting screws are almost an inch further out than on this massive tripod's head! Now, I could take a drill and an old tabletop and cobble something together, adaptor wise, but I was curious to see if anyone had made one by hand or by 3D printer and could share tips or files.

#2 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:25 PM

Moving to Celestron Computerized Telescopes

• BrittG likes this

#3 Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Viking 1

• Loc: Stockholm, NJ

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:25 AM

Can you post a picture of the tripod you bought? What is the “TSA” you make reference to? My SE mounts on my heavy GPS/CPC tripod without any problem.

#4 ChiefMcGeek

ChiefMcGeek

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chincoteague, VA

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:01 AM

Can you post a picture of the tripod you bought? What is the “TSA” you make reference to? My SE mounts on my heavy GPS/CPC tripod without any problem.

I certainly can. TSA is the Transportation Security Administration - I was flying from place to place a couple years back and had my scope and tripod riding in the cargo hold. The scope came out fine - the tripod did not.

Link to the Classified I bought it out of because I'm at work: https://www.cloudyni...n-black-tripod/

#5 Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Viking 1

• Loc: Stockholm, NJ

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:26 PM

I believe that tripod is from an earlier Celestron series. Those holes should be on a 2-1/2” bolt circle and take 5/16-18 bolts. The SE mount use 3/8-16 bolts on a 3-1/4” bolt circle. The 5/16-18 bolts mount a wedge as well. I made a wedge for my SE mount. If you decide to make an adapter plate,you do not want the 3/8-16 bolt to be higher than .3125 into the base of the mount. Otherwise you risk jamming the mechanism. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 872B2D1C-29FE-4E79-8096-E4314F6416AC.jpeg

• ChiefMcGeek likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics