•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

catseyecollimation yellow hot spot issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jonathanCR

jonathanCR

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Costa Rica

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:08 PM

I have used catseyecollimation tools for a while with a white reflective triangle center mark that my mirror came with (16" f\4.375) and I was able to see the reflections in the autocollimator just fine. I recently replaced the triangle mark with the yellow hot spot and I can tell that viewing and identifying all the reflections is now mission impossible at night. I always use the clipon red light that catseye sells to do nighttime collimation but my last two attempts were unsuccessful with the new center mark. I ended up collimating with the TELETUBE XLS SIGHT TUBE only. I wonder if someone has any tips to overcome this issue. It might be possible that I just need to get used to it again. 

Regards

#2 guanzz

guanzz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:40 AM

The stacked images of "1" and "3" can't be seen clearly, or even "P" and "2" can't be seen clearly. It's better to upload some pictures. I use the yellow hotspot mark for 150f2.8 and there is no problem at all

Attached Thumbnails

• Load calibration image.jpg

Edited by guanzz, 27 February 2021 - 02:40 AM.

#3 Vic Menard

Vic Menard

Cosmos

• Loc: Bradenton, FL

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:48 AM

I have used catseyecollimation tools for a while with a white reflective triangle center mark that my mirror came with (16" f\4.375) and I was able to see the reflections in the autocollimator just fine. I recently replaced the triangle mark with the yellow hot spot and I can tell that viewing and identifying all the reflections is now mission impossible at night. I always use the clipon red light that catseye sells to do nighttime collimation but my last two attempts were unsuccessful with the new center mark...

Are your optical surfaces clean? Is the clipon red light battery fresh? How "new" is your clipon red light (the newer clipon light is more robust (better clip) and (I think) a little brighter)? You might want to check with Jim...

Edited by Vic Menard, 27 February 2021 - 07:50 AM.

#4 jonathanCR

jonathanCR

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:02 PM

Are your optical surfaces clean? Is the clipon red light battery fresh? How "new" is your clipon red light (the newer clipon light is more robust (better clip) and (I think) a little brighter)? You might want to check with Jim...

The primary mirror isn't super clean but it wasn't a problem with white triangle mark. I think I might need to take a few practice sessions in the dark and try with another red light.

Edited by jonathanCR, 27 February 2021 - 09:02 PM.

#5 jonathanCR

jonathanCR

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:55 AM

After contacting Jim I tried his suggestions about how to place the light source for each tool last night and the result was the same. I was only able to distinguish P and 1 reflections.
So I stared trying different red/white lights and different positions. Nothing seemed to work. And then I decided to place the light source as close as possible to the mirror and bingo!!! Since my telescope in an open truss structure I just placed a white led light like 8 inches away from the hotspot attached to the mirror box side. I have never seen all the reflections with that amount of detail before.

Edited by jonathanCR, 02 March 2021 - 09:56 AM.

• SteveG and sanbai like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics