•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Plate Solve issues with L-eXtreme and ASIAir Pro

Polar Alignment
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 djr5899

djr5899

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:16 PM

I purchased an L-eXtreme filter about a week ago, and tonight was my first attempt in using it with imaging.  Unfortunately, I didn't get very far.  I use an ASIAir Pro with my rig, and I was unable to plate solve and polar align.  While there was some very light low level clouds (rated a 2 on Clear Outside), I could clearly see Polaris with the naked eye.  Once focused, I did notice that I did not see as many stars in the field of view.

When I went to do the plate solving for PA, it was only finding between 20-50 stars, and sometimes below.  In the past, plate solving typically finds between 80-150 stars during the first step of PA.  Once or twice it was able to plate solve, but when the ASIAir did it's 60 degree RA movement, it could never plate solve once moved.

I have a WO ZS 73II scope with a field flattener on it, and the WO recommendation is to screw the filter onto the back of the field flattener.  If I cannot see enough stars to plate solve with this setup, I was wondering if I would need to get a filter drawer, and add the filter after plate solving...and if that would mess anything up since the WO recommendation is attaching it to the flattener.

Anyone else have a similar experience with an L-eXtreme and ASIAir Pro, where it cannot see enough stars to properly plate solve?  If so, how did you resolve it?

#2 wxcloud

wxcloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:21 PM

Is there a way to increase the exposure time, say to like 5 seconds instead of 1? Not sure what the default exposure time is on the asiair? If possible to increase it some, that's what I'd try.
  • djr5899 likes this

#3 djr5899

djr5899

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:29 PM

Is there a way to increase the exposure time, say to like 5 seconds instead of 1? Not sure what the default exposure time is on the asiair? If possible to increase it some, that's what I'd try.

Good idea.  I've never messed with these settings and it always just worked.  I'd usually use half second exposures for focusing while using the fine adjustment knob on my scope to get dialed in, and then continued to the PA menu to do the plate solve.  If it doesn't have a default and picks up the half second from focusing, that could definitely be an issue.

I just checked the manual for the ASIAir Pro, and it says they recommend 1-2s exposures, and setting binning to 4.  Will have to pull the gear out tomorrow inside the house and see if I can test this setting out.  

Thanks for the tip.  An extra, non-frustrated brain and set of eyes is usually a good help!

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:39 PM

With the L-eXtreme you may need 10 sec because of the light loss.

• djr5899 likes this

#5 FRANKVSTAR

FRANKVSTAR

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: GASTON S.C

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:44 PM

He is right about exposure times. I was using  scope with Sharp Cap to plate solve and PA. I got only 5 to 8 stars. Thought about it for a while and then I figured out how to get longer exposures at 4 to 6 seconds from 1sec and suddenly I saw up to 20 or more stars. Had to wait longer for each image shot to be plate solved, but no much and it works now.

• djr5899 likes this

#6 Wei

Wei

Explorer 1

• Loc: SF East Bay

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:26 AM

3-5 sec should be fine. You can test it out.  If you still have trouble, maybe check if there are visual obstruction smile.gif

Plate solve don't work when pointing towards polaris.

Edited by Wei, 27 February 2021 - 01:28 AM.

• Neil_Phan likes this

#7 Neil_Phan

Neil_Phan

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:32 AM

Plate solve don't work when pointing towards polaris.[/quote]
Yes it does. My rig does plate solving polar alignment using ASIAIR at Polaris in about 3 seconds

#8 base16

base16

Explorer 1

• Loc: North California

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:38 AM

I dont use filters anymore but when I previously used this exact filter, I had to increase exposure. You can different exposures for Polar Alignment, Focus, Preview and of course live stacking.
  • djr5899 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Polar Alignment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics