•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My M81 so far

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rj144

rj144

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:17 AM

Iu2TMS0.jpeg

About 4 hours at 10 second sub (yes 10 seconds) unguided shot with a Nikon D750 and a Sigma 150-600 mm lens at 400 mm due to poor polar alignment (couldn't zoom further).

• mikewayne3, acommonsoul, Thomas Marshall and 8 others like this

#2 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Viking 1

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:31 AM

This is pretty good,  you are beginning to see stuff inside the galaxy.   OK need better polar alignment.  What are you using for tracking??      Is this a regular D750 or did you modify it??  What ISO??

Work on that polar alignment, you may be able to not only zoom closer but longer exposures too.   Focus is good.

If I took this photo, I would be real proud of myself and share it with everyone.  It is extremely hard to do what you did.  My hat is off to you.   Thanks for sharing,    Joe

• rj144 likes this

#3 rj144

rj144

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:12 AM

This is pretty good,  you are beginning to see stuff inside the galaxy.   OK need better polar alignment.  What are you using for tracking??      Is this a regular D750 or did you modify it??  What ISO??

Work on that polar alignment, you may be able to not only zoom closer but longer exposures too.   Focus is good.

If I took this photo, I would be real proud of myself and share it with everyone.  It is extremely hard to do what you did.  My hat is off to you.   Thanks for sharing,    Joe

Thanks.  I could get a software setup for PA, but I like doing things one step at a time and try to max out each step along the way.  I started 2 months ago.  Eventually, I'll get a whole guiding setup and a scope, but probably not until next year.  The 10 s max is due to light pollution.

It's a regular D750 at ISO 800.  Use the Iexos 100 for tracking.

Edited by rj144, 27 February 2021 - 10:21 AM.

#4 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Viking 1

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:33 AM

Thanks.  I could get a software setup for PA, but I like doing things one step at a time and try to max out each step along the way.  I started 2 months ago.  Eventually, I'll get a whole guiding setup and a scope, but probably not until next year.  The 10 s max is due to light pollution.

It's a regular D750 at ISO 800.  Use the Iexos 100 for tracking.

First and foremost,  PATIENCE.   Rome was not built in a day and neither is this.  Learn and grow with what you have,  don't do impulse buying.  You do not want to buy equipment now, because you think you need it,  and wind up selling it later because it was not working for you.    Save your money, just keep saving and learning with what you have till you have more than enough money saved and you know why you want a certain piece of equipment.  In knowing why you need it, you also know what it will allow you to do and you have an idea of where it will take you on the next level.

Remember,  PATIENCE. And EDUCATION.  When you put your foot forward to walk, make sure you are stepping on solid ground.   Mistakes are all around you in this hobby,  very few, and I mean very few are cheap.  In time and money.

I got to be honest with you,  I have telescopes and mounts, A DSLR Canon T6I and a QHY 5III 462 camera. I have The Sky X imaging edition and Sharpcap Pro, I bought the license for $15.

Polar alignment,  for years all I did was aim at the North star with staring at the lowest eyepiece power and worked my way to the highest power.

Unless you have or have a friend that will let you borrow a small telescope and camera that sharpcap supports, I don't know if Sharpcap supports DSLR's.   

Maybe APT, Astrophotography Tool.  It is free.   I know they support DSLR's, Nikon and Canon.    You could also use the drift method.  That will take time to do.      With a camera you do not have to wait that long to see movement.  Every couple of minutes take a picture, see which way it moves, adjust the mount, do over. Aim the scope low in horizon and another adjustment for up by the meridian,  70 -80 degrees high.

You are doing fine,   this picture of M81 and M82 are better than any picture of M42 I have taken.   I think M42 is an easier target to shoot.

It looks like I have atleast two more weeks of clouds and rain.

Good luck my friend,    Joe

• rj144 likes this

#5 rj144

rj144

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:06 PM

First and foremost,  PATIENCE.   Rome was not built in a day and neither is this.  Learn and grow with what you have,  don't do impulse buying.  You do not want to buy equipment now, because you think you need it,  and wind up selling it later because it was not working for you.    Save your money, just keep saving and learning with what you have till you have more than enough money saved and you know why you want a certain piece of equipment.  In knowing why you need it, you also know what it will allow you to do and you have an idea of where it will take you on the next level.

Remember,  PATIENCE. And EDUCATION.  When you put your foot forward to walk, make sure you are stepping on solid ground.   Mistakes are all around you in this hobby,  very few, and I mean very few are cheap.  In time and money.

I got to be honest with you,  I have telescopes and mounts, A DSLR Canon T6I and a QHY 5III 462 camera. I have The Sky X imaging edition and Sharpcap Pro, I bought the license for $15.

Polar alignment,  for years all I did was aim at the North star with staring at the lowest eyepiece power and worked my way to the highest power.

Unless you have or have a friend that will let you borrow a small telescope and camera that sharpcap supports, I don't know if Sharpcap supports DSLR's.   

Maybe APT, Astrophotography Tool.  It is free.   I know they support DSLR's, Nikon and Canon.    You could also use the drift method.  That will take time to do.      With a camera you do not have to wait that long to see movement.  Every couple of minutes take a picture, see which way it moves, adjust the mount, do over. Aim the scope low in horizon and another adjustment for up by the meridian,  70 -80 degrees high.

You are doing fine,   this picture of M81 and M82 are better than any picture of M42 I have taken.   I think M42 is an easier target to shoot.

It looks like I have atleast two more weeks of clouds and rain.

Good luck my friend,    Joe

It's not about money.  I could get a really good setup right now.  But, I'm moving in about 5 months or so and I want to maximize each step along the way too.

And, M42 was my first target a couple of months ago.

Edited by rj144, 27 February 2021 - 02:07 PM.

#6 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Viking 1

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:37 PM

Me, I went too fast too soon.  Lack the knowledge.  Going a lot slower 2nd time around.    Joe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics