•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Gem45 or cem40 with RT90C or other heavy duty CF tripod?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kim.davis

kim.davis

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:12 AM

I was planning to purchase gem28 for portability and for air travel. I was thinking of using RT90C instead of its stock tripod for better portability. But I am really tired of this long wait and the wedge doesn't look as robust as the one in cem25 or cem40/gem45. My question is whether it is a possible option to use gem45 on RT90C tripod. Any opinion would be appreciated. Clear skies!!

Edited by kim.davis, 27 February 2021 - 02:13 AM.

#2 whwang

whwang

Soyuz

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:19 AM

It should work.  I am using this tripod from WO for CEM40.  It works very well.  The tube diameter of this WO tripod is 4cm, just like RT90C.  Indeed, its appearance reassembles RT90C in many ways.  I suspect that they are made by the same factory.

IMG_0342.jpg

• kim.davis likes this

#3 kim.davis

kim.davis

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:08 AM

Thank you for sharing the pic. Is it stable compared to the stock tripod? Also what adapter did you use?

#4 whwang

whwang

Soyuz

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:53 AM

Hi,

I only have experience with the stock tripod for CEM60, which may not be the same as 40’s. The tripod for the 60 is very stable, but it’s very heavy as you know. The carbon tripod I got from WO for the 40 is not as strong as 60’s stock one, but stable enough. In general, I would say iOptron mount’s own rigidity is more a problem than the carbon tripod. 

I got the tripod and the adapter from WO’s Taipei office. I am not sure if they sell it in other markets. You may contact WO and ask them. 

• kim.davis likes this

#5 kim.davis

kim.davis

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:36 PM

You are lucky to get the adapter directly from the office. I don't see that one in the States. 

Thanks a lot and Clear Skies !!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics