•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Binoviewer Purchase

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dale Allen

Dale Allen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cedar Park, Texas

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:31 AM

Good Evening All

New to the community - what a wonderful forum with many true experts you have here. I’ve been saving up and am now ready for my first binoviewer investment. I’m an original owner of a 2003 LX200-GPS (that has worked perfectly since the first time I turned it on) that I’ll using the binoviewer on. Primary interests are planetary observing but we get out to dark skies every so often to view more objects. I think I’ve read until I’m cross eyed on the topic and have landed on either the Tele Vue Bino View or the Denkmeier 27 (comfortable at that price point). There’s a real appeal to the LOA 21 3D eyepiece concept as I think this will elevate the pure enjoyment factor (particularly for my wife who’s not as patient as me at the scope), but I’m a huge fan of Tele Vue and their known quality. Would probably invest in a pair of Panoptic 24’s to go along with the Bino Vue. I know the topic has been covered extensively on this forum but if a few of the experts who have owned (or know) both systems and who have a few minutes to spare could share any insight, it would be greatly appreciated! I’m struggling with the final decision. Thanks all!

• Lentini and Cali like this

#2 Spartinix

Spartinix

Viking 1

• Loc: Crete, Greece

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:53 AM

Well, the Televue Binovue has gotten some negative comments about the overall build quality, but afaik, there's only a few sources on this, there is no information on how many units were evaluated, and in the meantime, Televue could have taken care of some issues, after reading here.

Most user experiences otoh, seem to be very good!

You couldn't go wrong with a D27 either of course.
Just do the math for your backfocus and the accessories you want to be using with the bv, and go for either one (if you're such a huge TV fan, it's a no-brainer right?).

#3 Cali

Cali

Vanguard

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:57 AM

People seem to like this as a first inexpensive choice. It sure worked for me.

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 27 February 2021 - 03:01 AM.

#4 betacygni

betacygni

Explorer 1

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:45 PM

I’ve used both the televue and the older denk 2 systems (predecessor to the binotrons), and I’d go with the denks for one reason; user collimation.

They are both very nice units, but televue charges an insane amount for collimation service. I like the simplicity of the televue units, and especially their 2x amplifier which you can easy just put in any scope and know it will reach focus, but the denk OCS also has its pluses. Don’t think you can really go wrong either way, but if I was going to buy again at this price range I’d go denkmeier, especially if you just plan to use them on a single scope.

#5 Dale Allen

Dale Allen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the thoughts folks

#6 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:27 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights Dale.

Get the Denk system and don't look back...look up(!).

Jeff

#7 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:35 PM

Good Evening All

New to the community - what a wonderful forum with many true experts you have here. I’ve been saving up and am now ready for my first binoviewer investment. I’m an original owner of a 2003 LX200-GPS (that has worked perfectly since the first time I turned it on) that I’ll using the binoviewer on. Primary interests are planetary observing but we get out to dark skies every so often to view more objects. I think I’ve read until I’m cross eyed on the topic and have landed on either the Tele Vue Bino View or the Denkmeier 27 (comfortable at that price point). There’s a real appeal to the LOA 21 3D eyepiece concept as I think this will elevate the pure enjoyment factor (particularly for my wife who’s not as patient as me at the scope), but I’m a huge fan of Tele Vue and their known quality. Would probably invest in a pair of Panoptic 24’s to go along with the Bino Vue. I know the topic has been covered extensively on this forum but if a few of the experts who have owned (or know) both systems and who have a few minutes to spare could share any insight, it would be greatly appreciated! I’m struggling with the final decision. Thanks all!

Welcome to Cloudy Nights, Dale!

My experience is that the Bino Vue system has superior clarity and rendition of colors.

Edited by Kutno, 27 February 2021 - 11:36 PM.

• sschn likes this

#8 Dale Allen

Dale Allen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 March 2021 - 12:11 AM

After much self-debating I went with the Denk Bino 27. Russ is building it now. Cant wait!

• Reid W and Spartinix like this

#9 Mlehere

Mlehere

Mariner 2

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 12 March 2021 - 01:20 PM

You will be very happy with the Binotron 27 Binoviewers. They a extremely well made and mine work flawlessly.

#10 flint350

flint350

Explorer 1

• Loc: Pensacola

Posted 13 March 2021 - 11:34 AM

Same here. I just ordered a Binotron 27 for my CPC925 and Russ is building it next week. I've had cheaper binoviewers before but wanted something better now that I've returned to the hobby.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics