•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nex dome accessories

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KarthikNagaraj

KarthikNagaraj

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:34 AM

Hi there, if I want to automate the nex dome to be ascom compliant so that it moves automatically when my telescope moves during capture what accessories do I need to buy?

K

Edited by KarthikNagaraj, 27 February 2021 - 02:38 AM.

#2 jfaldo

jfaldo

Ranger 4

• Loc: Middle of No Where, Wy

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:47 AM

So I'm probably ordering my NexDome in about a month. My plan is to only automate the rotation portion of my dome. My pier is 20 feet from my back door. I can open the shutter manually. My understanding is that all I'll need is the dome rotation kit NEX22-DRK. It's ascom compliant and will use ascom through Sequence Generator Pro to control the rotation. Should be fairly simple I hope hmm.gif

#3 KarthikNagaraj

KarthikNagaraj

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:26 AM

So I'm probably ordering my NexDome in about a month. My plan is to only automate the rotation portion of my dome. My pier is 20 feet from my back door. I can open the shutter manually. My understanding is that all I'll need is the dome rotation kit NEX22-DRK. It's ascom compliant and will use ascom through Sequence Generator Pro to control the rotation. Should be fairly simple I hope hmm.gif

Nice you are ordering it next month. I want to order it too. How are you preparing the base for it? 

also if you want to automate the rotation part of it you need this too from what I read on their website:

NEXDOME 2.2M SHUTTER MOTOR KIT
Your Price: USD $1,049.00
Part Number: NEX22-SK

#4 KarthikNagaraj

KarthikNagaraj

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:27 AM

and this I guess:

NEXDOME DOME ROTATION 1.5" WIDE TRACK
Your Price: USD $10.00
Part Number: NEX-Track

#5 KarthikNagaraj

KarthikNagaraj

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:28 AM

jfaldo, is the shutter even automatic? I thought it was the one thing that is manual. 

#6 jfaldo

jfaldo

Ranger 4

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:27 AM

Here's the link of my pier and deck build. https://www.cloudyni...r-installation/  No pretty sure the above mentioned shutter motor kit is only if you want to automate the shutter opening and closing. Also if you look at what's included with the rotation kit it already has the track in the kit. My plan is when I go to place my order I'm going to call them up and discuss the order with them and make sure I'm correct in all my assumptions for this build.

• KarthikNagaraj likes this

#7 KarthikNagaraj

KarthikNagaraj

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:25 PM

Jfaldo, amazing. I wish I had such friends like yours who would do that for me. 😁

#8 jfaldo

jfaldo

Ranger 4

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:58 PM

Yes sir I'm very fortunate in my friends. My buddy Lee in Arizona is an outstanding self taught hobbyist machinist. He's also brilliant with electrical and electronic stuff. He used to live on the Colorado Front Range and we were only a few hours away from each other. He moved to Arizona over five years ago now. Kinda sucks to not be able to just pop over to his house on a weekend.

• KarthikNagaraj likes this

#9 xthestreams

xthestreams

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 28 February 2021 - 07:54 AM

Correct, the Dom rotation kit is all yiu need. 

automated shutter is great if you want to image while you sleep and are worried about rain. Get an RG11 and wire it in and the dome keeps it all safe 

#10 KarthikNagaraj

KarthikNagaraj

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:05 PM

So asked the sales team at NexDome and here is the response:

- Lead time now is about 10-12 weeks.
- you need to make a concrete pad or wooden deck (such as this sample https://dd3add39-c38...741fd6c9172.pdf ) in the backyard to put the observatory on while waiting for your order to be shipped.
- You can find the dimensions for the observatory and base here https://www.nexdome.com/resources
- You would need the dome rotation kit with rain sensor https://www.observat...ENSOR_p_20.html and shutter kit https://www.observat...R-KIT_p_21.html to automate your observatory.  Yes the rain sensor will close your shutter when detect rain.

So xthestreams@ is right that if we don't care about automating the shutter then the dome rotation kit is all we need. 

K

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics