•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New APM zoom eyepiece 7.7mm-15.4mm , 75° Constant FOV

• Please log in to reply
537 replies to this topic

#51 thecelloronin

thecelloronin

Apollo

• Loc: Lowcountry, SC

Posted 08 March 2021 - 04:46 PM

Markus, would you like me to send you a Dioptrx?

The hero we need, but don't deserve. bow.gif

Edited by thecelloronin, 08 March 2021 - 04:47 PM.

#52 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes, Lunt Solar Systems, Lunt Engineering)

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:13 AM

Steve

I will ask if we shall ship one

Ben the Ignorant: a eyepiece itself has no spot diagrams , it is not a complete optic, it is always only a part of a optic. Spotdiagrams you can make only if you have the zemax data of a specific telescope optics and combine that with the eyepiece

#53 Deadlake

Deadlake

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:11 AM

Steve

I will ask if we shall ship one

Ben the Ignorant: a eyepiece itself has no spot diagrams , it is not a complete optic, it is always only a part of a optic. Spotdiagrams you can make only if you have the zemax data of a specific telescope optics and combine that with the eyepiece

Well you could get a spot diagram with a 130mm/F9.2 LZOS, there as close to perfection on any lens metric I've seen.... lol.gif

#54 Ben the Ignorant

Ben the Ignorant

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: At the center of the exploding Universe, where it is safe

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:26 PM

Well you could get a spot diagram with a 130mm/F9.2 LZOS, there as close to perfection on any lens metric I've seen.... lol.gif

That's what I had in mind: a standardized way to compare. It could be the 8-inch f/10 Schmidt-Cassegrain because everyone knows them but then they are slow, making them maybe too forgiving for eyepiece testing around the center of the field, and they have strong field curvature, which negates the former idea at the rim of the field. The Edge series Schmidt-Cassegrain's are flatter but not as common, I guess.

Another possible standard could be a 200mm or 250mm f/5 newtonian as a tribute to the dobsonian crowd but f/5 could be harsh. A 100mm to 130mm f/7 apo is common enough and the f/ratio is average so that could work, too.

And a very flat apo like that LZOS f/9.2 130 you mention would be a good reference, too, not meddling its own aberrations with those of the eyepieces too much.

But whatever the industry chooses, it should have standardized spot diagrams so the observers can just pour in their own limits in budget and personal demands, and make a choice.

#55 Shinzawai

Shinzawai

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 March 2021 - 09:10 AM

Any release date yet?

#56 Starman1

Starman1

Stargeezer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 11 March 2021 - 12:28 PM

APM says "June 2021--about 4 months from now".

That was written at the very end of February.

• Shinzawai likes this

#57 Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rural Kent, UK

Posted 11 March 2021 - 01:56 PM

My Dioptrx plus the instruction sheet was picked up today by a courier on its way to China. 

I'm hopeful that the makers of this new zoom will be able to design the top so that a Dioptrx will fit.

• zjc26138, noisejammer, Sarkikos and 8 others like this

#58 thecelloronin

thecelloronin

Apollo

Posted 11 March 2021 - 02:03 PM

Hadn’t even considered it would need to go to China, rather than Germany. On behalf of hopeful astigmatics everywhere, thanks Steve.

• noisejammer, RossW and Second Time Around like this

#59 Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 March 2021 - 03:13 PM

Hadn’t even considered it would need to go to China, rather than Germany. On behalf of hopeful astigmatics everywhere, thanks Steve.

It was quicker sending it direct to China, especially now the UK has left the EU.  The carriage cost wasn't a huge amount more.

#60 thecelloronin

thecelloronin

Apollo

Posted 14 March 2021 - 02:18 PM

Having to the rotate the Dioptrx as you zoom in or out would be a PITA, though not quite as much as having to refocus.  Having to do both would be a real PITA.

Mike

You know, I'd rank rotating the DioptRx the greater PITA. My focuser is optimized for focusing, my DioptRx + Baader combo is not optimized for rotating (unlike, say, my Nagler 22 which is perfect with DioptRx). 

My priorities for this eyepiece:

• Constant 75° FOV – check
  • Good eye relief – check
  • Good sharpness, brightness, contrast – probably
  • Optimal compromise minimizing AMD and RD – unsure
  • DioptRx compatibility – check
  • Eyecup/DioptRx doesn't rotate when zooming – unsure
  • Parfocal – check
  • No undercut – check

In order for me to upgrade from my BHZ, the Super Zoom should be at least equal optically, while addressing my main gripes with the BHZ's eye relief and field of view. While I'd really prefer it to be DioptRx compatible, I feel there are enough potential workarounds via 3D printing to make it worth pursuing; it's got to be a killer eyepiece first and foremost. Eyecup rotation and parfocality are "nice to haves", and I can live with an undercut though not joyfully.

At the moment, the Leica seems to be the one to beat. No, it doesn't take DioptRx, but it checks off pretty much every other box and I suspect an adapter could be 3D printed. I do think I'd rather have a constant 75° than 60-80°, though. 75° is a real sweet spot, IMO.

I'm happy being on the waitlist though, as the buy-in isn't too bad and I've never looked through a bad APM eyepiece (although my experience is admittedly limited). Markus seems receptive to feedback, as I think he knows that a home run in this space would also represent a grand slam for sales. Our local club just had a Messier marathon, and when I brought up this eyepiece there was definite interest.

So, cautiously optimistic, and eager for news and June-ish to come.

Edited by thecelloronin, 14 March 2021 - 06:39 PM.

• Sarkikos and Starman81 like this

#61 StarAlert

StarAlert

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 16 March 2021 - 08:57 AM

it does not focus in the binoculars

again we will offer our big binoculars with fix installed Zoom shortly

adjustable eyecup will not come, but we going to design it for user of dioptrix

Just so I understand, these won’t work in my APM binos unless they are installed as fixed? Then I have to give up my 24 Pans and their 2.4o degree FOV? 

Edited by StarAlert, 16 March 2021 - 09:05 AM.

#62 ihf

ihf

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 16 March 2021 - 01:36 PM

Just so I understand, these won’t work in my APM binos unless they are installed as fixed? Then I have to give up my 24 Pans and their 2.4o degree FOV? 

Maybe those could be screw in and the APM 24 and APM 12.5 as other screw in options?

#63 aeajr

aeajr

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 21 March 2021 - 09:56 PM

I am very excited to try one of these new APM zooms. I am Mr. Zoom eyepiece. I just added a third. If this one tatugh

#64 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 22 March 2021 - 01:41 PM

I just now sent an email to APM requesting to be placed on the list for the new zoom.  

I might use the new APM zoom for medium power, and set up my older Leica Zoom with a Barlow for high power ... or vice versa.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 22 March 2021 - 01:52 PM.

• areyoukiddingme, Tyson M and Second Time Around like this

#65 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 22 March 2021 - 01:49 PM

Interesting. At f/9.5 that would give a 0.81 to 1.6mm exit pupil.

:)

Clear skies, Alan

• Sarkikos likes this

#66 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 25 March 2021 - 02:33 PM

I might use the new APM zoom for medium power, and set up my older Leica Zoom with a Barlow for high power ... or vice versa.

Good idea for sure. 

• Sarkikos likes this

#67 Piero DP

Piero DP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridgeshire, UK

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:51 PM

Will its nosepiece adapter accept T2 connections?

That would enable one to use this zoom with a modded VIP baader barlow..

#68 Yanbesidski

Yanbesidski

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: New York, USA

Posted 06 April 2021 - 02:52 PM

For binoculars, how would zoom level be synchronized between two eyepieces?

#69 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:21 AM

For binoculars, how would zoom level be synchronized between two eyepieces?

Actually, it would be easier to synchronize the zoom level if the AFOV changed with the zoom level.  You could compare the apparent size of the fields.  This was how I was able to use a pair of Zhumell Zooms in a binoviewer.  The Zhumell Zooms had a varying AFOV and no click stops.

Click stops would be a nice feature in the new APM Zooms, if that were possible.  

Otherwise you could

1) compare the image scale in the two views of APM Zooms

2) use stars or other field objects at edge of field as reference points

3) visually compare markings on the barrels of the two eyepieces

4) maybe simplest method of all:  just use your sense of when the two images merge most clearly

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 08 April 2021 - 05:23 AM.

#70 Yanbesidski

Yanbesidski

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: New York, USA

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:21 AM

Makes sense
However, any of these methods relies on the assumption that no other parameters changed - sudden vision decrease, breakdown somewhere in binocular mechanism, etc.

I was thinking more in terms of some mechanism that allows to adjust zoom only in sync

#71 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes, Lunt Solar Systems, Lunt Engineering)

• Restricted Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:25 AM

Hello Everybody

here my first report to supplier :

I received yesterday the Zoom Binocular. Looks very high quality.

Here my report and needed changes

1, my IPD is 65 mm , so it works for me , not perfect, since my nose must find place, but I still can see the full FOV. If I adjust out the eyeguard , nobody in this world can longer see the true FOV .

Due the flat top the Zoom is not unusable for maybe 80 % of all customers. Customers from Europe and USA have big nose and if IPD is smaller then 65 mm they simply cannot use this zoom eyepiece in binocular or binoviewer.

You can use it only as single eyepiece

This means the top adjustable flat eyeguard must be changed  to conical style ........I got already the reply which confirms the top is changed now into conical and will use rubber eyeguard, same style as the APM 12.5 mm 84 degree.

The eyeguard is from metal. Last night it was 0 degree and my face , my nose hat to touch such cold metal.

Like in Leica Zoom the only place where a adjustable eyeguard make sense is on single eyepiece use like Spotting scope.

The construction you have now will damage sales to people want to use 2 in a binoviewer or binoculsr.

Therefore please change that flat metal adjustable eyeguard to a nice fold down rubber eyeguard in conical shape.
This is a request , please confirm.

as you can read above the feedback of today confirm this change :-)

For Spotting scope sales you can leave it like this.

2, zooming and focuing works perfect , better than Leica. However I wish that you make many more stops not only on this 4 settings . The way = focal lengthes between the stops are lost right now , which is a shame. Can you do many more stops , like 10 stops or so ? Pleaseeeeee

I got today the feedback they will do 10 stops :-)

3, optical performance and refocusing : stunning perfect.

Whoever designed the optics and mechanics for focusing and zooming get my aplause. This is the best of all , even better then Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski Zoom.

This is a real step in the very very high end worldclass quality . My congratulations

below a first picture of the Astroversion

SuperZoom.jpg

• doctordub, moshen, noisejammer and 12 others like this

#72 thecelloronin

thecelloronin

Apollo

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:47 AM

Awesome report. How's the angular magnification distortion?

#73 aeajr

aeajr

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:38 PM

Very nice report.

For single eyepiece use, 4 stops is fine but I can definitely see how having more than that would be valuable for binoviewers.

#74 mkothe

mkothe

Viking 1

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:11 PM

Nice! Any sign of EOFB? Did you see that in the Alaric’s/Swaro? I seem to be very sensitive and it’s a big distraction for me.

Michael

#75 Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:13 PM

Excellent, Marcus!  It looks as though you're on to another winner here.  Thanks for the fine tuning.

My IPD is only 61mm (not usually small), so I hope that the shape is good enough for me to still use binoviewers, and also that it still takes a Dioptrx.

Talking of the Dioptrx I sent to to China, is there any news yet please?

• thecelloronin likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics