•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepiece tray and books - worth keeping or selling?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:06 AM

I posted a question in another thread and since I got a few replies/DMs I thought I'd break this out to it's own thread with specifics.

I have the parts from my of Sears 34454 80mm refractor that I'm not using, and foolish me threw out the tripod legs probably 15 years ago not realizing that people want this stuff. Anyway, looking in the attic for something I saw this and figured I'd post it here. Is there really interest in these things? I was on the edge of tossing it once we start cleaning things out and I hate doing that...

Also, I have the full three volume set of Burnham's Celestial Handbook (revised and enlarged ed, paperback), A Field Guide To The Stars And Planets (Donald H. Menzel, paperback), The Messier Album (hardcover, John H. Mallas and Evered Kreimer), and the very first telescope book I bought, the classic All About Telescopes (Sam Brown). These all sit in boxes, I haven't opened them since the 1980's. Are there any I should hold onto? And is there actually a market for this stuff?

Thanks all, I appreciate you all!

Attached Thumbnails

• EyepieceTray1.jpg
  • EyepieceTray2.jpg

#2 AstroBrett

AstroBrett

Ranger 4

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:14 AM

That's the same tray as on my first Sears telescope. If the light still works, you'll definitely find someone who could use it for their restoration. They had a tendency to quite working.

I see the Burnham's selling here all the time, and I imagine you won't have any trouble selling the others either.

Good luck!

Brett

• CltFlyboy likes this

#3 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:33 AM

"All About Telescopes" by Sam Brown is a classic.  This Retrospective talks about its merits.  If it were me, I'd hold onto it but if you'll never read it, you will have no problem selling it.   wink.gif  

• CltFlyboy likes this

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:13 PM

The Sam Brown Book is currently selling used for between $160 (cheapest one) and $680. There are only a few kicking around, with most hoarded by guys like us. I'll bet you could easily sell your copy here on CN or on Astromart for $100 or more. It would probably get snapped up instantly. I'd gladly pay that much, but already have mine. I've frequently paid hundreds for rare or early edition books. I just bought a fine virgin The Night Sky Observer's Guide Vol 2 for $172.78, because I thought I might have lost mine. I looked around some more and found my other one... which I paid $25 for! Meh, so now I have one for the house and one for the observatory. A win-win!    Tom

• strdst, deepwoods1 and CltFlyboy like this

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:21 PM

Regarding the ~worth~ of discontinued or rare books: If you divide by the # of pages --- the ~price per page~ is a real bargain... even if the entire book costs hundreds! Anyway, that's the way I justify my buys. My heirs will be sitting on a gold mine... I should probably leave a note somewhere. The vast majority of used books are not worth that paper they're printed on. But sought-after rares generally attract $$$. All it takes is a few people ready, willing, and anxious to pay-up.  Tom

#6 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:31 PM

Tom - thanks, and, WOW. I had no idea. Personally I love the book - it's where I learned all about light paths, optical trains, and the differences between telescope types. It was a wonderful resource for the time, and as a young kid I devoured it. I had no idea that it would be worth *anything*, that's shocking. It makes me rethink what I was starting to do (cleaning out and tossing stuff en masse) - I need to take my time and see if there is anything of value to someone. I might have to hang onto it for a while in that case (but honestly, I have no "use" for it. Tough call).

I appreciate the feedback!

#7 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:19 PM

I have the full three volume set of Burnham's Celestial Handbook (revised and enlarged ed, paperback), A Field Guide To The Stars And Planets (Donald H. Menzel, paperback), The Messier Album (hardcover, John H. Mallas and Evered Kreimer), and the very first telescope book I bought, the classic All About Telescopes (Sam Brown). These all sit in boxes, I haven't opened them since the 1980's. Are there any I should hold onto? And is there actually a market for this stuff?

These books are classic! I have them all and still enjoy reading in them. They are all keepers in my opinion!
  • clamchip and BFaucett like this

#8 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:37 PM

Those titles are all favorites of mine, they will be in my library till the end...

Robert

• Terra Nova likes this

#9 pakman2

pakman2

Sputnik

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:47 PM

One mans trash is another man's treasure. You might want to post items you plan to discard.

#10 brian dewelles

brian dewelles

Explorer 1

• Loc: Wickenburg AZ.

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:28 PM

I posted a question in another thread and since I got a few replies/DMs I thought I'd break this out to it's own thread with specifics.

I have the parts from my of Sears 34454 80mm refractor that I'm not using, and foolish me threw out the tripod legs probably 15 years ago not realizing that people want this stuff. Anyway, looking in the attic for something I saw this and figured I'd post it here. Is there really interest in these things? I was on the edge of tossing it once we start cleaning things out and I hate doing that...

Also, I have the full three volume set of Burnham's Celestial Handbook (revised and enlarged ed, paperback), A Field Guide To The Stars And Planets (Donald H. Menzel, paperback), The Messier Album (hardcover, John H. Mallas and Evered Kreimer), and the very first telescope book I bought, the classic All About Telescopes (Sam Brown). These all sit in boxes, I haven't opened them since the 1980's. Are there any I should hold onto? And is there actually a market for this stuff?

I have every one of those titles. They are not just one and done books. They are reference books. Some i havent looked at for some time but always available. Like someone once said about Alaska, even if you never go, it's nice to know its there. I would keep them. 

Now if i had duplicates i could sell for a hundred bucks i would be all over that.

• Terra Nova and CltFlyboy like this

#11 bartine

bartine

Vanguard

• Loc: Silver Spring, MD

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:10 PM

Burnham's Celestial Handbook goes here on CN from $30 to $40

A Field Guide To The Stars And Planets goes for $10

The Messier Album runs $15-20

All About Telescopes recently sold for $25 on Astromart, and it has multiple "wanted" adds here on CN

• CltFlyboy likes this

#12 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:50 PM

All those books are classics. Like Terra and Brian, I have them too and they will be with me till the end. The Burnham"s Celestial handbook has always been a favourite. I remember when Burnham himself sold them at $2.95 a section in looseleaf format. Every time I observe a Messier object I read John Mallas visual impression to see if anything matches what I saw. Mallas was a keen observer. 

The tray and tray light are sought after by people restoring Japanese refractors like Towas and Astro Optical models. Many of them had their tray light damaged by batteries left there and forgotten. I'll keep it for sure but it would probably be a fast sell on CN classifieds.

Edited by oldmanastro, 27 February 2021 - 06:10 PM.

• Terra Nova and CltFlyboy like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics