•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NINA and DSLR mirror lock up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ricbrekne

ricbrekne

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bergen Norway

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:10 AM

Hi ! Just started putting together NINA with phd2, stellarium and my Canon 7D. Got everything talking but I cant seem to get NINA to get the cannon to take shots when the mirror lock up is engaged. It says the cannon doesnt send a reset/ready signal to NINA.  It works fine with mirror lock up DISENGAGED, and in live view if I manually turn that on on the camera, and it works with live view off. Live view eats battery so I would like to use the mirror lock up function engaged.  Have seen several others ask about this but havent yet run into an answer. Anyone here can fill me in on how/if to do this ?

Thanks !

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:25 AM

Why not just turn off LiveView while gathering data?  That's what I do.  AP exposures are long enough that mirror lock is irrelevant.

Edited by bobzeq25, 27 February 2021 - 11:26 AM.

#3 ricbrekne

ricbrekne

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bergen Norway

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:08 PM

Why not just turn off LiveView while gathering data?  That's what I do.  AP exposures are long enough that mirror lock is irrelevant.

Well... I noticed while doing some purely manual imaging the other day that about 30% of my 45 second subs had star trails when the mirror had to flip up as part of taking a sub, whilst only 1 in 20 had the same problem when I had mirror lock up on. Its mounted on a eq6r pro with a celestron 9,25 sct attached so not much vibration is needed to wreck a sub.

#4 robbieg147

robbieg147

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:24 PM

It is possible to control your Canon using NINA via Backyard EOS, Backyard has a mirror lockup option where you can set how long a pause you want after the mirror lifts before the exposure starts.

In NINA select Ascom camera driver for DSLR then in settings select connection method "Backyard EOS"

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics