•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Light With Oberwerks 15x70’s

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 alder1

alder1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:16 AM

Conditions couldn’t have been worse. Both a full moon and a layer of high clouds. But I’m tired of waiting. The new binoculars were set up on a tripod on the east side of the house where I had been checking colimation, sharpness, etc, during the day. (All excellent, by the way!) This morning, about 4:00am, I decided to observe the full moon despite the clouds. I took a look at the eastern sky and the only stars visible in my normally Bortle 2-3 skies was the Summer Triangle. Why not see what stars the new binos could pull out of the murk? I took a look and there, by chance, was Alberio, right in the center of the fov! A pale icy blue and a dim gold, but still beautiful. Despite the dreadful conditions, I star-hopped to Anser and then Cr399, the Coathanger. Ten pale stars against a grey sky. Since I could see Deneb, I hopped to Sadr and tried for M29. VERY faint, but visible. Then Omicron Cygni, could just make out all three. At that point the clouds really started to move in and not long after, snow was blowing in the gale force winds.

Obviously, this was not a good test of my lovely new binoculars, but it was an extremely enjoyable short session nonetheless. I’ll post a more useful critique when (if!) the weather ever clears and it warms up a bit.
  • JIMZ7, astropup, Jim Haley and 6 others like this

#2 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:27 PM

A good start despite poor conditions.  In Bortle 2/3 skies without the Moon, you're in for a treat.  I find 15/16x70s are potent instruments for wide field Milky Way observations; a great combination of magnification and field of view. 

Summer's coming!  shocked.gif

Rich

• sonny.barile, jcj380 and Stevencbradley like this

#3 astropup

astropup

Messenger

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:44 PM

Congrats. I received my Oberwerk 15x70 Deluxe a few weeks ago and have only had the opportunity to test then out during the day.

#4 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:52 PM

If you don't have it already, the Oberwerk monopod works really well with this binocular. Perfect for a quick scan on these cold Winter nights. twitch.gif

• paul hart likes this

#5 laurelg9

laurelg9

Vostok 1

• Loc: Dayton, OH, USA

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:44 AM

I just got these binos this week as well, but it's been cloudy and rainy since.  

#6 alder1

alder1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:20 AM

Oh, so it’s your fault!
  • sonny.barile likes this

#7 laurelg9

laurelg9

Vostok 1

• Loc: Dayton, OH, USA

Posted 01 March 2021 - 08:46 PM

Just to report:

I had a busy night tonight but also had semi-clear skies and a half-hour and got to see the whole Orion nebula area, from belt down, with these 15x70 LWs on a basic 11 lb. tripod and, uh, wow.   The huge frame of reference and clarity of different sized stars was incredible.  

Looking forward to having binos along side telescopes now and then.  

• jcj380 and Adam Long like this

#8 harbinjer

harbinjer

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:18 PM

The Oberwerk 15x70 LW was my first serious binocular, and I still enjoy it very much. It's long eye relief, and generous FOV are "just right" in my experience. And it resolves and frames so many open clusters wonderfully. 

#9 alder1

alder1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 01:59 PM

Clear skies tonight, I have high hopes. Report to follow....

• sonny.barile likes this

#10 alder1

alder1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:44 AM

Okay, finally got a decent evening. As it was bitter cold and windy, I was confined to indoor observing, so conditions weren’t ideal. Still....
I started out with some simple objects, and used both the new 15x70’s and my trusty Orion 10x50’s for comparison. M41 in CMa was a faint patch in the Orions; with the Oberwerks (mounted) it was a blaze of a dozen stars. Wow! The stars were sharp and clear and the view amazing. It was the same with M42. It was fine in the 10x50’s but quite spectacular in the 15x70’s. The internal structure was well defined, the theta Orionis stars were sharp and distinct as was the trapezium. The difference between the two binoculars was so striking that I don’t believe that the difference was only the increase in magnification and aperture. I think there is a clear increase in optical quality as well.
I went on to have a delightful evening of observing. Probably the highlight was M46, M47 and ngc2423, dimly visible at the end of an arc of stars, all in the fov at the same time, and beautiful beyond words. This is the kind of experience only binocular observers ever get to have and my new Oberwerks 15x70’s make that experience even better. I couldn’t be more delighted.
  • Fiske, JIMZ7, Traveler and 6 others like this

#11 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:40 AM

Great report. It can be startling to experience what a different view one gets in 15x70 binoculars compared to 10x50. It's like seeing a whole different sky.
  • harbinjer likes this

#12 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Vanguard

• Loc: NE flight path of DTW

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:02 PM

Five more power & about twice as much light will make a difference I'm sure. Has made me thinking of getting one.

Jim

#13 harbinjer

harbinjer

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:38 PM

Five more power & about twice as much light will make a difference I'm sure. Has made me thinking of getting one.

Jim

Better to think of it at 50% more magnification.  Its very much worth getting a 15x binocular if you enjoy binoculars. I think the Oberwerk 15x70 LW is perfectly positioned in that it has great optics, and just good enough mechanics that there's nothing to complain about for the price. 

Edited by harbinjer, 05 March 2021 - 11:52 AM.

• erin likes this

#14 McGarnicle

McGarnicle

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:39 AM

Just ordered the Ultras, can’t wait!

I’m a noob, primarily a telescope observer but I’ve been enjoying my 10x50 Action Extremes almost as much as the scopes. The ability to recline and scan the sky, stopping off at different spots when something looks interesting — simple stuff like Hyades, Pleiades and M41 can be spectacular. 

As much as I like the Nikons, I definitely see a degraded image toward the edges, and I’m limited in objects I can see well.   So obviously excited about the upgrade in magnification, aperture & optics with these. I’ll figure out mounting after I have them in hand, hoping to use my Bogen and eventually build a pipe mount that can work with the zero gravity chair. 

• sonny.barile and j.gardavsky like this

#15 duck2k

duck2k

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:47 PM

I have the brother of Obie 15x70, the Orion Resulux. Great binos!:)
  • McGarnicle likes this

#16 McGarnicle

McGarnicle

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:45 PM

I have the brother of Obie 15x70, the Orion Resulux. Great binos!smile.gif

You like ‘em so much you had to post it twice. grin.gif

I’m very familiar with Fountain Hills from YouTube, and the big event is this weekend. waytogo.gif

#17 paul hart

paul hart

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 50 M East of NYC

Posted 06 March 2021 - 01:59 PM

If you don't have it already, the Oberwerk monopod works really well with this binocular. Perfect for a quick scan on these cold Winter nights. twitch.gif

I just got the Obie monopod last week and use them with the 15x70 LW's. I prefer using the monopod over a parallelogram for portability. Love the monopod.

#18 gwd

gwd

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: PyeongTaek ROK

Posted 06 March 2021 - 02:23 PM

received a new Oberwerk 25x100 yesterday.   I was shopping for the APM ED version but all the online retailers for it had issues, like advertising "In Stock" but not really, no shipments to APO, not acknowledging, not responding to E-mail.   Because of the persistent cloudy nights user endorsements I gave Oberwerk a try.  The website froze on my order, but it got unstuck.  Customer service was as cloudy nights users describe.  Prompt replies to my questions.    The clouds rolled in above the haze as I unpacked them.    In daylight, the false color on contrasting edges is very noticeable.  The image quality is very sensitive to eye position compared to my old Zeiss 20x60.   At night, if my eyes weren't aligned properly I got annoying internal reflections from all the bright lights in my vicinity.  Around 11 pm the clouds cleared away.  If I concentrated I could just make out Orion's Belt stars.    I spent an hour or so in and around Orion.    The views of the usual Orion sites were much better than I expected from the daylight performance.   At half the price of the APM version they aren't half bad. 

• sonny.barile and McGarnicle like this

#19 McGarnicle

McGarnicle

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 March 2021 - 11:00 PM

First light with my 15x70 Ultras tonight and they’re spectacular. Perfect fit on my Bogen 3063 head, and with the eyecups folded down, perfect viewing with my glasses on. Initially had issues focusing in daylight, until I realized my left eye needed more help. Closing each eye and focusing one at a time did the trick.

So, these give me the best view I’ve had of the Pleiades bar none, which is probably my favorite thing in the sky to view, so we’re off to a good start. It’s framed perfectly in these binoculars, taking up about 60% of the field. With my two eyes focused individually, the difference between this view and cyclops mode with a telescope is dramatic. The main stars pop out, with the lesser stars behind them. Just a gorgeous 3D view. As I stared longer, my eyes kept adapting and more stars became apparent. The whole cluster became deeper and richer before my eyes. Finally, I could start to see hints of nebulosity around Alcyone. Then I started moving the cluster to the edges of the field to see where it falls off. In my judgment, it was maybe just the outer 15%, tops. Not enough to be an issue when scanning the sky.

Before looking at the Pleiades, I actually used Mars to individually refocus my eyes again, and even that was one of my better views of it recently. No surface detail of course, but a smooth, crisp image without glare. It actually looks like a planet, not just another distant reddish star. Pretty cool and unexpected.

Next was the double cluster, likewise beautifully framed with nice depth. More magnification would be optimal, but it kept my attention for a good while. Again, really staring in and letting my eyes adapt was worth the effort as more detail became apparent. Then I checked out the Hyades, M41 and M42. I’m in bortle 7 so the nebula is never spectacular here, but it was worth admiring for 5-10 minutes nonetheless. Again, everything pops with more and more depth as you stay locked in. 

Finally just did long, slow sweeps of the sky, stopping at whatever popped out. If I wasn’t dodging streetlights to move to different areas of the sky, I’d still be out there. It gets frustrating and I’m really excited to take these to darker skies in Florida next week. 

Overall, obviously A+ from me. Game changer. Making me think I have to get binoviewers or I’ll never be satisfied using a telescope again. 

• Mark9473, sonny.barile, alder1 and 1 other like this

#20 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 10 March 2021 - 03:29 AM

I just got the Obie monopod last week and use them with the 15x70 LW's. I prefer using the monopod over a parallelogram for portability. Love the monopod.

I have found the same for me. The 15x70 + monopod works better than a tripod plus adding the flexibility to move around and point to the zenith. 

Carlos

#21 alder1

alder1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2021 - 02:01 PM

We’ve had some clear skies up here lately, although frigid temperatures kept me observing from indoors. So I’ve been able to further experiment with my new 15x70’s. The other evening we had very good seeing so I was able to spot some excellent DSO’s. My favorite object was M46, M47 and just a hint of ngc2523, all in the field of view at the same time. I did this drawing, adding in some of the surrounding stars for context. The three clusters are a beautiful sight, and all fit easily within the fov of the binoculars. The image was clear and sharp, very impressive actually. I’m growing very fond of these binoculars. 

One thing though: for those interested in buying from Oberwerks, know that they charge for shipping. When I ordered mine, the web site didn’t work so I called them and at no point during the ordering process was I informed that they were going to charge shipping. So when I got my credit card statement there was an extra $20. I’m not used to paying shipping on expensive orders. Annoying. 

Attached Thumbnails

• E3BDC91C-3508-4034-AA8A-7668C487280D.jpeg

• McGarnicle likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics