•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starsense and dew

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scuba561

scuba561

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:55 PM

Just received my Nexstar SE8.  Yeah!  Having some issues getting autoalign to work, but I think I will be able to work through the issues.  Right now I am in an urban area with a lot of light, trees, and houses.

My question is this.  Do I need to autoalign every time I setup the scope?  i.e. I use the scope for a few hours in my front yard.  Carry the scope in the house when done.  Next night bring the scope back to front yard and set it up.  I ASSume I need to autoalign sense the scope does not know if I put it in the same place, facing the same direction?  Correct?

Also, last night the front of the OTA was completely covered with dew.  I read about cutting a section from a sleeping bad pad and making a shield on the front of the tube.  Would an old yoga matt work just as well?  Does the material of the shield make a difference?

Thanks for your wisdom!

Mike

#2 Spitty

Spitty

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:03 PM

Following with interest regarding the auto alignment.

#3 Gamewarden

Gamewarden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Centreville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:04 PM

Yes you must re align everytime you move the scope. I found auto 2 align to be the quickest and most accurate. These scopes generally need a dew shield unless you live in Arizona. You can make your own I would expect black is better than any light colour as it helps with local light pollution also if you have that problem.

• Hexley likes this

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:37 PM

Yes, redo SS AutoAlign if you've moved the scopa even an inch. It's a GREAT addition to an 8SE, but it's not magic .lol.gif It was the best addition I made to my 8SE and used it on my Celestron CGX with wonderful results.

Depending on your local weather (humidity/dew point) you will probably need to use a dew heater strap along with a dew shield.

#5 audioengr

audioengr

Viking 1

Posted 28 February 2021 - 07:40 PM

Auto align is required each time.  Get a dew shield and maybe a heated one or a heated strap and you will not have any dew at any temperature.

• Dynan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics