•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stacking programs for mac?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:39 PM

Hi all,

I have been using a stacking program that worked on a mac. I made the mistake of downloading a more recent OS and found that my mac would no longer run my program. I had to get Parallels and start using windows stacking software, which was fine for quite a while. Recently, I found that Parallels will no longer load on my mac. The error message says, “INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE”. I got on line and have tried at least a half dozen procedures folks on youtube claim will fix the problems. So far it hasn’t worked. I have called and emailed Parallels people a bunch of times. When I call I get a message saying all agents are busy and to call back later. When I emailed them, their first response was, “INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE ISN’T ENOUGH INFORMATION”, which was the only information I had to give them. When I emailed back and told them it was all I had, they finally responded and gave me a list of things to do, in sequence. I have tried that several times and always get stuck somewhere in the process. 

Do any of you know of a stacking program that isn’t super complicated that will work with up to date an up to date OS for macs?

I have a PC laptop I use to run my autoguiding, but it is was inexpensive and doesn’t have nearly the processing power my mac has for post processing and stacking.

#2 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:59 PM

I've used Nebulosity for years for shooting (unless its Nikon) and stacking processing etc.  Affinity Photo just came out with a full suite for processing astrophotography,  which I'm going to be trying.  It is very good ,lots less $$ competitor to PS, for every sort of photography.    And Pixinsight, of course, (never used it) if you want to pay a lot more and climb a big learning curve from what I read.   All Mac native.  

• Jeffmar likes this

#3 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:01 PM

Few listed here but not read all the way through, I had book marked the site some time ago:

StackingSW

One says Mac, may be worth a try or look at.

Also check the Software section on CN sure I read someone had produced a new stacker but as I didn't read it I suppose it was Windows orientated, but look.

Edited by sg6, 27 February 2021 - 02:10 PM.

• Jeffmar likes this

#4 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:09 PM

Yeah, Apple's OS updates will do that to you.

I use PixInsight, but you may want to search under the "Capturing & Processing" section on Andrew's Mac Observatory site. As you found, though, not all may be 64-bit.

• Jeffmar likes this

#5 Dean J.

Dean J.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:21 PM

I haven’t used Parallels for a while but I preferred VMWare Fusion when I was running Windows programs on my Macs.  VMWare Fusion isn’t cheap.  For the more adventurous there is Virtual Box and it is free.

Have you tried Boot Camp?

• Jeffmar likes this

#6 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:03 PM

I haven’t used Parallels for a while but I preferred VMWare Fusion when I was running Windows programs on my Macs.  VMWare Fusion isn’t cheap.  For the more adventurous there is Virtual Box and it is free.

Have you tried Boot Camp?

Years ago I tried Boot Camp. For some reason I couldn’t get it to work. I could certainly give it a shot again.

#7 RonaldNC

RonaldNC

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Fuquay Varina, NC

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:39 PM

I use Parallels on my MacBook Pro and haven't had any problems with Windows... but Big Sur has been challenging.

However, for the Mac, I currently use AstroPixelProcessor (APP) which is awesome.  Just use the default settings and you get great results.  Additionally, it's "remove light pollution" function is magic.  I have also used Nebulosity4, but it isn't simple to use... but gets good results.

For post processing, APP is good... but limited.  I have recently started using StarTools.  Lots of capability, but has a learning curve.  I also utilize Topaz Labs software... particularly DeNoise.

Good luck!

Ron

Edited by RonaldNC, 27 February 2021 - 03:39 PM.

• Jeffmar likes this

#8 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: Kitchener, Ontario

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:48 PM

Another one using pixinsight on a Mac.

Latest update makes calibrating images stacking fairly simple and easy. I believe they have a free trial. You can watch a few of Adam Blocks videos on you tube bit lengthy but very well explained how to use the Batch processing script.

#9 evansg

evansg

PegasusAstro

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:03 PM

ASTAP does a very nice job and works for all platforms

http://www.hnsky.org/astap.htm

Edited by evansg, 27 February 2021 - 04:04 PM.

#10 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:41 PM

I've used Nebulosity for years for shooting (unless its Nikon) and stacking processing etc.  Affinity Photo just came out with a full suite for processing astrophotography,  which I'm going to be trying.  It is very good ,lots less $$ competitor to PS, for every sort of photography.    And Pixinsight, of course, (never used it) if you want to pay a lot more and climb a big learning curve from what I read.   All Mac native.  

I downloaded the Affinity Photo app. It shows some promise. At the very least I now have a program that will stack photos with having to deal with Parallels.

Thanks, Ron

• Ron359 likes this

#11 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:43 PM

PixInsight is da bomb.

• Jeffmar likes this

#12 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:55 PM

PixInsight is da bomb.

I tried pixInsight for a few weeks. It probably wasn’t long enough to get to know the program, but I gave up on it. I usually only use stacking software just to stack, and then take the image to Lightroom or Photoshop for post processing the stacked image. I have heard good things about PixInsight, but didn’t have the patience to stick with it.

#13 ntph

ntph

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sudbury, ON

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:17 PM

I tried pixInsight for a few weeks. It probably wasn’t long enough to get to know the program, but I gave up on it. I usually only use stacking software just to stack, and then take the image to Lightroom or Photoshop for post processing the stacked image. I have heard good things about PixInsight, but didn’t have the patience to stick with it.

I have been a Mac user for years. Some of the best advice ever posted here in my opinion is from a very experienced user who is, I believe, a big PC guy. It turns out his advice is platform agnostic (well, not truly, but available for everyone) :  we spend thousands on gear to acquire images and fret about minutiae but won't shell out less than the cost of a medium quality eyepiece or an autofocussing device or a filter when it comes to half of what we need to do: process images. PixInsight. Learn it; you will  spend some time learning it but you will not  regret it. My 2 cents. 

Edited by ntph, 27 February 2021 - 07:23 PM.

• Jeffmar and Wjdrijfhout like this

#14 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:42 PM

I downloaded the Affinity Photo app. It shows some promise. At the very least I now have a program that will stack photos with having to deal with Parallels.

Thanks, Ron

be sure to watch their videos on using the astro parts -and others if needed for daylight.  Its 'structured' a bit differently then PS but many processing tools are the similar.  

• Jeffmar likes this

#15 Endymion

Endymion

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2021 - 01:56 AM

Siril is awesome on the Mac.

#16 Wjdrijfhout

Wjdrijfhout

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Groningen, The Netherlands

Posted 28 February 2021 - 03:31 AM

Most Windows emulation software (Parallels, VMWare) requires paid upgrades for each MacOS upgrade (=yearly). With so many good stacking solutions out there natively for Mac, it’s a waste not to use them. 
Andrew has published pretty much the whole list (and any other Mac software you may be interested in): https://www.macobser...ronomy-software

+1 for PixInsight. It’s a bit of a learning curve, but completely worth it. And the just released version 2 of their preprocessing script (=stacking) is actually not difficult to use at all. Even if you just use PI for stacking, it’s worth it. I wrote some of the most important improvements here:

https://www.astrowor...ents-in-wbpp-20

And Adam Block has published very good (free) training videos on using the script:

https://youtube.com/...8hCgqwkrxsk7CDn

#17 lambermo

lambermo

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:43 PM

Native mac stackers I'm aware of : AstroPixelProcessor , PixInsight, ASTAP, Regim

#18 RonaldNC

RonaldNC

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Fuquay Varina, NC

Posted 03 March 2021 - 06:03 PM

Native mac stackers I'm aware of : AstroPixelProcessor , PixInsight, ASTAP, Regim

Plus Nebulosity and Affinity.

Ron

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics