•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Scope wagon -- MacSports WTCX-100 Mac Sports Extended Wagon

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:35 PM

I thought some of you might be interested in seeing one of my recent equipment purchases. 

I have a park a few blocks from my home that offers darker and more unobstructed views of the sky than my driveway. This extended fold up wagon allows me nearly 50" of space to easily transport scopes and gear without having to pack and unpack the car from a parking space. With this, I should be able to wheel right up to the spot where I wish to observe and have my gear right there with me. While I have not had a clear night to test it out properly, I have packed and unpacked it and wheeled it around a bit. It seems sturdy and easy to use. The length is right for my needs -- I can even fit my 8" solid tube dob in there. My only complaint is the turning radius is terrible smile.gif Also, how is it that I have so much stuff to tote around?

IMG_0081.jpeg

You can see I've got a folded observing chair and the OB TR3 with legs somewhat extended laying flat in there! Nice

IMG_0080.jpeg

Lots of stuff, two scopes, two mount heads with pillars, eyepiece case (nanuk 920), chair, tripod, dew shield, etc. 

IMG_0091.jpeg

Folds up very easily. It does not balance on it's own when folded up which was a surprise. It could easily be put in the truck of a car if one wanted to take it on the road. It takes almost no effort to fold and unfold. It's sturdy when unfolded. 

IMG_0082.jpeg

I purchased the wagon here: https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do any of you use a wagon or similar to support your observing?

Edited by castorpolu11, 28 February 2021 - 01:06 AM.

• osbourne one-nil and fiston like this

#2 tomlindquist

tomlindquist

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:27 PM

You've got a nifty wagon that just fits your tripod which seems to be the controlling piece of gear here.  I have a standard 35" length box wagon which just fits my shorter Celestron AVX tripod in diagonally.   I use mine for getting in/out on a short run to the patio here at an apartment building where I live.   I've been using it about three years and it's very handy.  I make a second short run with just the optical tube of my 8" Newtonian to give it special handling.   It sounds like your run to the park with your new wagon will be a big success.  I like your idea of having a longer wagon for astro gear.

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:30 PM

Looks good. What is the diameter of the wheels?

#4 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:43 PM

Looks good. What is the diameter of the wheels?

8” wheels

#5 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:31 PM

Thanks. That size diameter should definitely be able to handle some open grassy terrain.

#6 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Viking 1

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:36 PM

That almost looks like the wagons they have at Little League games.   Nice.    Joe

#7 luxo II

luxo II

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:12 PM

LOL from the caption I was expecting to see an SUV, not a basket trolley...

#8 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 01 March 2021 - 07:21 PM

Used it last night for the first time. It worked great! Really nice having everything at hand. 

#9 DSO Viewer AZ

DSO Viewer AZ

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:02 PM

That’s a really good solution. How does it do “off road”? 

Imagine how much more of your stuff you could move with two.... just link them together. Like an astronomy train...lol.gif

#10 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:16 AM

That’s a really good solution. How does it do “off road”? 

Imagine how much more of your stuff you could move with two.... just link them together. Like an astronomy train...lol.gif

I loaded it up tonight and did some off roading. Works like a charm. I actually went out twice tonight interrupted by clouds that later cleared. I don’t think I would have gone out a second time if not for the scope wagon. Or is it scope trolly? Nah I like the scope wagon better. 

#11 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 02 March 2021 - 01:09 PM

So how much weight is it carrying when you have it loaded up?

#12 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 02 March 2021 - 01:35 PM

That's not a wagon.

That's a Scope Lemo!

My only reservation would be tipping. As long as you keep that forefront in your pulling, it looks great.

Glad it encouraged you to do a double. That right there Paid for itself.

• castorpolu11 likes this

#13 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:52 PM

So how much weight is it carrying when you have it loaded up?

I’m not quite sure. The wagon itself has quite a capacity if I remember the ad right. You can check the link to Amazon I posted above. If it’s important to you I’ll wait some things and let you know what it is when I’ve got mine loaded up but I can tell you’re pulling it up hills that it does feel pretty heavy. It’s probably around 50 pounds

#14 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:39 PM

Figured a way to load the dob for tonight. It'll be interesting to see how a wagon ride impacts collimation lol.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0094.jpeg
  • IMG_0095.jpeg

#15 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Vanguard

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5ºW

Posted 23 March 2021 - 02:36 AM

The search engine was my friend this morning - lovely idea!

I've been thinking about doing something very similar as there are numerous lovely little dark observing spots dotted around the edge of the village, away from my neighbours' new found love of unshielded overly-bright LED floodlights on uber-sensitive motion sensors. 

I might go really posh and use pneumatic tyres. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics