•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

R-Sky black observing vest + hood arrived

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:55 PM

I ordered a R-Sky black observing vest and hood some time ago. After languishing in the Russian postal service for about a month, it arrived today! It seems really nice in terms of quality and materials. It's substantial without being heavy and while I can't say for sure it doesn't seem like it will be hot in warmer weather. 

It's a one size fits all proposition so I was interested to see how well it would suit me. I'm a broad shouldered gentleman, 5'8" and typically wear an size L in USA -- 34 inch waist pants just to give you an idea for comparison. The vest is large on me. With the straps cinched all the way in it closes with room to spare. I anticipate the size will work fine for me as I tried it on over a puffy jacket. With less layers of course it would be even more roomy. It would fit a much larger person comfortably I would think. Roman seems to be making these with americans in mind wink.gif

The pockets seem really thoughtfully designed for observing. They are each a different size but all of them are quite wide. The largest of the pockets is about 9"deep x 10" wide. I noticed none of them open all that wide -- just wide enough to fit gear you would likely place in them without risking things spilling out if you bend or hunch over. 

I'll have to check back regarding the hood and how well it works while observing. I do notice that the hood attached to the vest does not have snaps or clasps near the neckline. The picture on the website shows the observer holding the hood closed with one hand. It remains to be seen how well this functions for me in practice. That said, the size of the hood is generous and fit over a ball cap and over the ear headphones when I pulled it on for the first time. It's thick enough to get the job done and balances stiffness with comfort well I think. Not sure what the material is but I like the feel given the mission. 

IMG_0083.jpeg

That's a lot of Russian stamps!

IMG_0084.jpeg

The worst part of the order has been the wait. It arrived in one postal center in RU on Feb 5 and wasn't updated until a couple of days ago. 

IMG_0087.jpeg

IMG_0088.jpeg

IMG_0089.jpeg

IMG_0090.jpeg

And now I wait. 

• Doug Culbertson and havasman like this

#2 Tdesert63

Tdesert63

Vostok 1

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:10 PM

Can you post the web page please

#3 ayryq

ayryq

Mariner 2

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:50 PM

https://r-sky.org/en.../observing-hood

#4 Enyo

Enyo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:42 PM

Last spring I purchased his white solar hood and have been pleased with it. It is much more convenient than what I had been using, a black one side, white one side cloth used by photographers for view cameras. It has a couple of burn spots from hershel wedges.

#5 StevenYood

StevenYood

Vostok 1

• Loc: Suwanee, GA

Posted 28 February 2021 - 05:14 AM

I love mine. It’s been in use for over a year and does double duty as a solar hood as well.

• Old Rookie likes this

#6 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:49 AM

Ok I’ve used it for a few hours of observing. If you’ve looked at one and thought it might have something to offer you’re right. It’s really nice. 

• Allows for both eyes open at the eyepiece? Yes and it’s awesome — major upgrade compared to an eyepatch
  • Has ideal pockets for all the observing accessories you may want on hand? Yep, they’re pretty much perfect
  • Allows for hands in pockets for warmth? You bet

It’s great and worth the wait and price. The darkness available under the hood is something I would not want to go without after experiencing it. It works better than I imagined in that regard. It’s easy to hold closed and provides pitch black. With both eyes open observing is much more relaxing. 

#7 DSO Viewer AZ

DSO Viewer AZ

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 March 2021 - 07:41 AM

Ok I’ve used it for a few hours of observing. If you’ve looked at one and thought it might have something to offer you’re right. It’s really nice. 

• Allows for both eyes open at the eyepiece? Yes and it’s awesome — major upgrade compared to an eyepatch
  • Has ideal pockets for all the observing accessories you may want on hand? Yep, they’re pretty much perfect
  • Allows for hands in pockets for warmth? You bet

It’s great and worth the wait and price. The darkness available under the hood is something I would not want to go without after experiencing it. It works better than I imagined in that regard. It’s easy to hold closed and provides pitch black. With both eyes open observing is much more relaxing. 

I was doing some research on these just a couple weeks ago. Wasn’t sure about quality or size. I think it would be perfect for my back yard viewing. Thanks for review and post. I am going to have to order one now. waytogo.gif

• castorpolu11 likes this

#8 Old Rookie

Old Rookie

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:00 AM

I've had one for about two years now and pretty well satisfied.  I really like the pockets - I keep my tablet in there.  Not real keen on the size.  I have broad shoulders and it's snug when the straps are clasped  Would have liked just a tad more wiggle room.  That being said, the hood is the primary reason I bought it.  For that reason alone, it's worth the price of admission when blocking light.

As for shipping, I've ordered some of their dew heaters and their controller.  Normal shipping time has been around four weeks or so from Russia.  Doesn't sound like much has changed.

#9 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:50 PM

I've had one for about two years now and pretty well satisfied.  I really like the pockets - I keep my tablet in there.  Not real keen on the size.  I have broad shoulders and it's snug when the straps are clasped  Would have liked just a tad more wiggle room.  That being said, the hood is the primary reason I bought it.  For that reason alone, it's worth the price of admission when blocking light.

As for shipping, I've ordered some of their dew heaters and their controller.  Normal shipping time has been around four weeks or so from Russia.  Doesn't sound like much has changed.

That’s interesting I wonder if the sizing has changed in the last couple of years. I found the sizing to be generous.

#10 ayryq

ayryq

Mariner 2

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:25 PM

You convinced me, I just placed an order. Shipping for me was $15, making the total $95. I got a reply within moments of placing my order.

• Old Rookie and castorpolu11 like this

#11 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:24 PM

I used the vest and hood with my dob the other night and found my first annoyance, albeit very minor. I'm accustomed to guiding my manual dob with two hands and the hood calls for one of my hands to hold it closed. While I was not sure how I would like using my left hand to hold the hood closed under my chin it's really fine and comfortable to do so. However, each time I had to nudge the dob I would have to use that hand and therefore the hood would fall open, which is the first thing I encountered about using the vest that was anything other than fantastic. Not a deal breaker by any means but thought I'd throw it out there. 

Last night I headed for dark skies with the 152 5.9 and my new AT80ed. Aaaaand I forgot the vest. I really did miss it. 

#12 thecelloronin

thecelloronin

Vostok 1

• Loc: Charleston, SC

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:04 PM

Seems the hood could easily be modified with a clasp or some magnets. But I can see myself wanting to make that upgrade immediately for the reason posted above. Wonder why it doesn’t ship with such a solution? Seems perfect otherwise.

#13 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:19 PM

Seems the hood could easily be modified with a clasp or some magnets. But I can see myself wanting to make that upgrade immediately for the reason posted above. Wonder why it doesn’t ship with such a solution? Seems perfect otherwise.

Good point and I'm sure there are ways of solving the problem. I may try a chip clip as proof of concept! I have noticed that depending on the eyepiece and my stance the exact place I close the chin area of the hood can change quite a bit. Perhaps that's one reason the hood does not include a clasp or closure of any kind -- to keep flexibility to a maximum. The ample size of the hood is an advantage and allows the user to close around whatever the space needed for head and eyepiece combo. 

• thecelloronin likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics