•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Whoa! New zoom coming out! APM Superzoom

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#1 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:20 PM

I just saw this released in Facebook!!

"New APM Super Zoom Eyepiece coming .

7.7 mm ( 18 mm eyerelief ) to 15.4 mm ( 20 mm eyerelief )
-  constant Field of View 75 degree.
- fully braod-band Multicoated
- Estimated Retail Euro 295.-
- Estimated Start of Delivery June 2021 ( about 4 month from now )

We will offer it in 3 Versions
- with bajonett for our 85 and 95 triplet ED Apo Spottingscooes
- fix attached to our big Binoculars
- as astronomical eyepiece with 1.25" barrel and 1.25" Filter thread

If you want one drop us a mail from now to get your name on our waiting list"

This is a very intriguing development!

• Scott in NC, scotsman328i, Sarkikos and 15 others like this

#2 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:27 PM

To follow up, I love the eye relief specs and think these might be a game changer for apm binoscopes. 

I found that 24UFF pairs, with 17.5mm and 12.5mm and either 9mm or 6.5mm would be ideal.

Now you can have a pair of 24's and a pair of zooms. 

Although the zoom range isn't the largest I've seen , it would be the most useful for lunar and solar viewing as well for cyclops viewing with refractors. 

I might get on this list.

Edited by Tyson M, 27 February 2021 - 04:33 PM.

• Sarkikos, 25585 and Echolight like this

#3 AtlantaAstro

AtlantaAstro

Ranger 4

• Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:31 PM

Anybody have the email to get on the waiting list?

#4 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:33 PM

The constant 75 degree AFOV is nice.  The only other constant AFOV zooms I know about are the two Nagler Zooms 6-3 and 4-2, which have a constant 50 degree AFOV.

I'm curious to know if the new APM zoom will be parfocal, like the Leica Zoom and the two Nagler Zooms.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 27 February 2021 - 05:07 PM.

• scotsman328i, CeleNoptic, faackanders2 and 2 others like this

#5 RedzoneMN

RedzoneMN

Ranger 4

• Loc: West of the Twin Cities

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:52 PM

Better eye relief than the Baader zoom. 

• scotsman328i and Tyson M like this

#6 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:59 PM

Anybody have the email to get on the waiting list?

Not sure. Probably gotta check the website.

• lakland5 likes this

#7 pregulla

pregulla

Messenger

• Loc: Israel

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:00 PM

https://www.cloudyni...°-constant-fov/

Sound good to me
  • CeleNoptic and BradFran like this

#8 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:00 PM

Sounds to me, the only reason to offer it fix attached to their BT, is that the normal version won't reach focus.
  • Tyson M likes this

#9 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:23 PM

To follow up, I love the eye relief specs and think these might be a game changer for apm binoscopes. 

I found that 24UFF pairs, with 17.5mm and 12.5mm and either 9mm or 6.5mm would be ideal.

Now you can have a pair of 24's and a pair of zooms. 

Although the zoom range isn't the largest I've seen , it would be the most useful for lunar and solar viewing as well for cyclops viewing with refractors. 

I might get on this list.

Good Luck, that zoom range is not my idea of a great zoom, Good Luck !

• RobM and f18dad like this

#10 Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rural Kent, UK

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:27 PM

Just put my name down on the waiting list.

#11 desertlens

desertlens

Nullius In Verba

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:33 PM

Interesting. I've often wondered if constant AFoV could be achieved if the zoom range was limited to 2:1 like the Nagler 3-6mm.

• Sarkikos likes this

#12 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:36 PM

WHOA! 75 degrees FOV across the board? 18-20mm eye relief from 7.7mm through to 15.4mm? Amazing! What alien technology was stolen from Area 51?...

• spaceoddity and BDS316 like this

#13 pregulla

pregulla

Messenger

• Loc: Israel

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:37 PM

Seems like a very good deal to me (if the performance is good, which I expect to be). I currently use zoom for Moon and planets only and only at higher magnification range because of it's narrow AFoV. This new zoom will be great both for planets and DSO, so it can replace my current zoom and 6.7mm, 11m, 16mm eyepieces

Attached Thumbnails

• takemymoney.jpg

• scotsman328i, eros312, Procyon and 3 others like this

#14 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:55 PM

Good Luck, that zoom range is not my idea of a great zoom, Good Luck !

Well in general yeah the range is more limited. Reminiscent of the Leica zoom. So for those who have fixed eyepieces and a zoom, and use fixed for extended objects and zoom for small objects, this might not seem to offer much. But for those who prefer zooms as general purpose eyepieces, this could be a game changer. I mean it is about the same price as the BHZ, and 98.44% of people with the BHZ only use it from about 8-16mm anyway since it is narrow from 16-24mm. (Ok I actually got that percentage from a Dove commercial, but you get the point.) So this would roughly match the useful range of the BHZ or Celestron for DSO while offering considerably wider AFOV. I mean, I assume the Leica has better polish, but this really feels like a poor man’s Leica. Just pair it up with a Speers Waler 5-8mm and you got 5-16mm or so with 70-80 AFOV. Or barlow it. Even with a barlow, it is probably shorter than the SW 5-8mm.

And long eye relief as well, this could be tempting,...have to see how performance is. But the narrower zoom range suggests it could have better performance. I mean, the premium Leica and Nagler zooms only have a 2x range, not 3x range. I suspect there is a reason for that. Less optical compromise.

Scott
  • spaceoddity, BDS316, f18dad and 1 other like this

#15 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:04 PM

There also is a Meopta zoom 7.3-14.6mm with a constant 66° field.

The Leica is 8.9mm to 17.8mm

This one will be 7.7mm to 15.4mm

Availability is supposed to be June (hopefully)

It will be available in versions for spotting scopes as well as a 1.25" version for telescopes.

295€ in Europe.  US price unknown as of yet.

We have to contend with a 25% tariff that I don't think they pay in Germany.

It may be quite good, but with no first-hand tests yet, it is pure speculation.

• Jon Isaacs, spongebob@55, oldphysics and 5 others like this

#16 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:07 PM

Well in general yeah the range is more limited. Reminiscent of the Leica zoom. So for those who have fixed eyepieces and a zoom, and use fixed for extended objects and zoom for small objects, this might not seem to offer much. But for those who prefer zooms as general purpose eyepieces, this could be a game changer. I mean it is about the same price as the BHZ, and 98.44% of people with the BHZ only use it from about 8-16mm anyway since it is narrow from 16-24mm. (Ok I actually got that percentage from a Dove commercial, but you get the point.) So this would roughly match the useful range of the BHZ or Celestron for DSO while offering considerably wider AFOV. I mean, I assume the Leica has better polish, but this really feels like a poor man’s Leica. Just pair it up with a Speers Waler 5-8mm and you got 5-16mm or so with 70-80 AFOV. Or barlow it. Even with a barlow, it is probably shorter than the SW 5-8mm.

And long eye relief as well, this could be tempting,...have to see how performance is. But the narrower zoom range suggests it could have better performance. I mean, the premium Leica and Nagler zooms only have a 2x range, not 3x range. I suspect there is a reason for that. Less optical compromise.

Scott

It will probably fill a small niche but I can’t see it wide spread ! Maybe I’m wrong but ........ ? Thats probably why it and its predecessors are so high priced, it may have nothing to do with quality ? Those guys know marketing, they know its potential sales !  

#17 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:26 PM

Finally! 

We've been speculating about a wider format zoom on here for years now, and every time it comes up the usual response is that this can't be done because it'd be too big, too heavy, too expensive, the zoom mechanism will explode under its own weight . . . . 

I figured it wouldn't happen because it would undermine the business model of companies that sell eyepieces. But it appears that this can work.

The constant 75 degrees will be a game changer. The Leica is my most used eyepiece, but the ~60 degrees and vignetting at the low end leaves something to be desired.

The only issue is matching to scopes, as 15.4 is on the high end for a low end . . . 

It would match my 1826mm scope (12.5" F5 + paracorr) as it'll give 118x to 236x native, which will be excellent for galaxy hunting, globulars, and a good start on planets. . . 

I wonder if it's still 1.25" format, or will it necessitate a shift to 2" format? I'm going to guess that it is possible to squeeze in to 1.25 given the Meopta that Don mentions.

#18 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:29 PM

It will probably fill a small niche but I can’t see it wide spread ! Maybe I’m wrong but ........ ? Thats probably why it and its predecessors are so high priced, it may have nothing to do with quality ? Those guys know marketing, they know its potential sales !  

Seems to me to be a good match for a lot of uses. It would make for a good planetary range on SCTs, but obviously it'll be too high for a lot of other uses.

So it would appear to be a better match to shorter focal lengths. But up to 2m or so of focal length seems very useful.

And for much shorter focal length refractors it will give a nice mid-range, and high with barlow.

It'll mean a lot of scopes will be able to cover a ton of usage with this zoom, a barlow, and a widefield--close to replacing a set of Delos, or Morpheus, and with extra coverage at the low end, XWs.

#19 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:32 PM

Facebook:

https://www.facebook...f=page_internal

• george tatsis likes this

#20 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:33 PM

Seems to me to be a good match for a lot of uses. It would make for a good planetary range on SCTs, but obviously it'll be too high for a lot of other uses.

So it would appear to be a better match to shorter focal lengths. But up to 2m or so of focal length seems very useful.

And for much shorter focal length refractors it will give a nice mid-range, and high with barlow.

It'll mean a lot of scopes will be able to cover a ton of usage with this zoom, a barlow, and a widefield--close to replacing a set of Delos, or Morpheus, and with extra coverage at the low end, XWs.

We shall surely see, lets wait before ........ !

• f18dad likes this

#21 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:46 PM

Finally!

We've been speculating about a wider format zoom on here for years now, and every time it comes up the usual response is that this can't be done because it'd be too big, too heavy, too expensive, the zoom mechanism will explode under its own weight . . .

70 AFOV or so isn’t unheard of. Why previous dreams have been dismissed as unrealistic is people want 70-80 AFOV from 3-30mm.

For all we know this might have vignetting too. Just have to wait and see.
  • f18dad likes this

#22 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:58 PM

Of course, it could turn out to be a turkey, but on paper at least it ticks a whole lot of boxes.

Sure, it's not doing the 'dream' coverage of a full set, but it's covering more ground that before with the constant apparent field.

Let's hope it works in practice . . .

• scotsman328i likes this

#23 scotsman328i

scotsman328i

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:46 PM

Of course, it could turn out to be a turkey, but on paper at least it ticks a whole lot of boxes.

Sure, it's not doing the 'dream' coverage of a full set, but it's covering more ground that before with the constant apparent field.

Let's hope it works in practice . . .

Haha! I know, right! Make sure you get it in Autumn when the skies are probably the best to view in, that way you’ll get at least one guaranteed good viewing session in to try it out before your 30 day return policy runs out. lol.gif

#24 f18dad

f18dad

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:15 PM

Ho hum...yawn... 7.7 mm to 15.4 mm is not a particularly intriguing wide range IMO (even with 75 degrees), unless you just like collecting things. I think I'll put my hard earned money into dedicated high quality eyepieces and accessories instead.

• LDW47 likes this

#25 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:15 PM

I will probably wait until the new zoom is tested by someone with old eyes.

Mike

• Jon Isaacs, MortonH, spongebob@55 and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics