•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starlink? Asteroids? Space Junk? What did I capture

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Voska

Voska

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Beach Park, IL, USA

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:57 PM

Ok so my initial thought is this was a starlink train... BUT I have captured a starlink train before and it did NOT look like this.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

That is the link to the video file i created using PixInsight.

things to note here... this is with a WO RedCat51 with an ASI 294MM
there are 4 total frames.
each frame was 5 MINUTES long so a total of 20 minutes for these objects to pass by

this is my green filter imaging the Horsehead/Flame nebula 

2021-01-22 @ 21:50 - 22:07 PM CST (Chicago area)

any thoughts?

Edited by Voska, 27 February 2021 - 05:12 PM.

#2 Cali

Cali

Vanguard

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:16 PM

Looks like Starlink to me.

- Cal

#3 GregsCNAccount

GregsCNAccount

Explorer 1

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:18 PM

If the objects were moving at a constant speed through your field of view, I would expect them to be elongated streaks in each 5 minute image.  Instead you have a line of dots that jump in position from one frame to the next.  Are you sure you didn't have four short exposures that were spaced 5 minutes apart?

#4 Voska

Voska

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:42 PM

If the objects were moving at a constant speed through your field of view, I would expect them to be elongated streaks in each 5 minute image.  Instead you have a line of dots that jump in position from one frame to the next.  Are you sure you didn't have four short exposures that were spaced 5 minutes apart?

all images were taken at 300 second exposures. I have other images from that night of a plane as well as a few satellites crossing the image all streaking and going different ways. I am 99.9% confident these exposures were 5 mins each 

#5 ravenhawk82

ravenhawk82

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:49 PM

If the exposures were 5 minutes, that was likely a plane going overhead. The nav lights will blink, so you'll get a series of dots in your long exposure instead of a solid streak. The only other way you'd get that output from a 5 minute exposure is if there were multiple objects hanging perfectly still in a line. Barring an impending alien invasion, this seems unlikely ;) My guess is a plane.

Also, at the focal length you're at, you'd only see one or maybe two Starlink satellites in the frame at a time. Seeing so many dots close together like this makes me think it's one object blinking across the sky.

#6 Voska

Voska

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:11 PM

for reference here are some images which show a plane, and two different satellites 

Plane

Plane
Satellite 1
Satellite 1
Satellite 2
Satellite 2

#7 GregsCNAccount

GregsCNAccount

Explorer 1

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:37 PM

In frame 2 I count 14 dots and in frame 3 I count 13.  With 300 second frames that makes the period that the object would have to flash at to be in the the range of about 21-23 seconds.  That's way too slow for an aircraft strobe.  I have observed tumbling satellites that flash brightly once per revolution.  Perhaps that's what this is.

#8 Voska

Voska

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:10 PM

In frame 2 I count 14 dots and in frame 3 I count 13.  With 300 second frames that makes the period that the object would have to flash at to be in the the range of about 21-23 seconds.  That's way too slow for an aircraft strobe.  I have observed tumbling satellites that flash brightly once per revolution.  Perhaps that's what this is.

I was kind of thinking something like this or space debris. but again with it being over 10 minutes (assuming it came into the image at the end of 1 image and was leaving at the beginning of the 4th image) to cross the field of view. how slow/high of orbit would it have to be to do that? are there any sources i can use to make look up and see what satellites might have passed by the target on that night?

I see in Stellarium that at 22:17  the MUOS-1 satellite passes just in a corner of the frame, but wrong time and wrong location for this particular object in the video.

#9 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Messenger

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:34 PM

It is probably one of these:

http://stuffin.space/

#10 lkannard

lkannard

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:46 PM

Starlink is the scourge of Astronomy.

We really need a James Bond Laser to blast them out of orbit.
  • acommonsoul likes this

#11 lkannard

lkannard

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:46 PM

Starlink is the scourge of Astronomy.

We really need a James Bond Laser to blast them out of orbit.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics