•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6-R-Pro Flashing light

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ccvle

ccvle

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:59 PM

I recently sold a three month old EQ6-R-Pro mount here on cloudynight to a local buyer. After a week the buyer noted that the DEC motor wasn't working so I offered him a refund and took the mount back. The flashing led light seems to indicate that there is a power supply issue. However, I tried different cables, different power supply adapters (one is 12v 10amp and one is 12v 5amp) and different power sources but none solved the issue.
I already contacted skywatcher and they issued me a ups return label to send the mount for repair. But I'm wondering if anyone here had the same problem and was able to figure out a solution. I would rather not go through the hassle to pack and ship if it is something that can easily be fixed.

Edited by ccvle, 27 February 2021 - 05:00 PM.

#2 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Gemini

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 28 February 2021 - 02:25 PM

If your mount has the new 2-pin power connector with the screw type locking collar I'd suspect that the DEC motor has an internal short. This would cause excessive power draw, dropping the voltage to the mount because the power cord isn't intended to carry more current than the mount normally draws. Fortunately, your mount is still under warranty and will be repaired for you.

#3 ccvle

ccvle

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:52 AM

If your mount has the new 2-pin power connector with the screw type locking collar I'd suspect that the DEC motor has an internal short. This would cause excessive power draw, dropping the voltage to the mount because the power cord isn't intended to carry more current than the mount normally draws. Fortunately, your mount is still under warranty and will be repaired for you.

I was able to use a step up converter to increase the voltage to 14-15v. That solved the blinking issue but the DEC motor still wasn't working. I can hear very faint motor noise when I press the button on the controller but no movement. I don't think the motor itself was the issue. I swapped the DEC motor cable to the RA motor connector on the motherboard and it worked fine.

Anyway, I ended up shipping back to skywatcher for repair. Their customer service was very easy to deal with. I literally just emailed them with my receipt and they provided me with the UPS return label to ship back.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics