•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Resolution experiment

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GSBass

GSBass

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:03 PM

Ok, so short of paying money to Astro bin I have been trying to figure out how to share high resolution photos, the original moon masoic was 250mb, too big for most photo sharing sites, I tried different formats and ended up doing a conversion to 300dpi at about 5000 x5000 pixels, that reduced the file to 50mb , I tried to upload it to Amazon but they appear to be lying about original storage because I could clearly see details missing, I then tried google photo, it was the closest but I could make out a little of the rille in the alpine valley in the original but not once uploaded....... so anyway, y’all have seen my moon masoic but this one is closer to how it should look, you can zoom in without it falling apart

https://photos.app.g...3uCE3q2jbsPomo8

• John_Moore, jrkirkham and DJL like this

#2 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Skylab

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:25 PM

Here's my order of precedence for image hosting:

1. You can use the Image button Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 12.41.27 PM.png to add images to the post that meet the post size requirements (≤500kB, w≤1600, h≤1200). If I create the image to the criteria, I get to pick the tradeoff between size and image quality. I upload to the CN gallery and use the link to the real image to embed it. This bypasses the thumbnail creation done by CN when you attach the image to the post and forces CN to display the actual image in the post, scaled by the browser to the text column width. This is especially useful for animated 24-bit PNGs—any scaling of those by CN removes the animation.

(Click for full size.)

gallery_273658_12412_267019.jpg

Next is the Gallery itself, which has a 50MB image limit—good for lossless PNGs or for when I couldn't make the image fit the 500kB limit:

(Click for gallery page.)

Lunar Mosaic 2020-05-09

Next is Astrobin, for when I want to display images with w>1600 and/or h>1200. You get 10 uploads with a free Astrobin account. Unfortunately, there seems to be a recent change where you must be logged into an Astrobin account to see any image at full (a.k.a. "Real" in Astrobin parlance) resolution. But the direct link to the full resolution image still seems to work. And contrary to popular belief, the "full screen" (a.k.a. "Full") preview is scaled and compressed by Astrobin (a common whinge against using CN for image hosting).

get.jpg?insecure

Direct link to full scale image

Next is Gigapan, which requires the image to be a minimum of 50 megapixels, and is limited only by the limitations of the file format you choose for upload. I really enjoy the Gigapan full-screen interface. But the revenue model has yet to bear any fruit (except for a place to host such massive images for free).

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/220892

I'm not all that keen on using my Google account—full of personal information—for hosting things for public forums.

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 28 February 2021 - 07:53 AM.

• John_Moore and GSBass like this

#3 GSBass

GSBass

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:51 PM

Thanks, I didn’t realize the gallery here allowed such big images since the ones allowed in forums are so small, found it fine for planetary but easy to create some pretty big images for the moon, Google works ok but I’ll be reaching my limit soon without paying them. MeWe resizes images automatically too

Here's my order of precedence for image hosting:

1. You can use the Image button attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2021-02-27 at 12.41.27 PM.pngto add images to the post that meet the post size requirements (≤500kB, w≤1600, h≤1200). If I create the image to the criteria, I get to pick the tradeoff between size and image quality. I upload to the gallery and use the link to the real image to embed it. This bypasses the thumbnail creation done by CN when you attach the image to the post and forces CN to display the actual image in the post, scaled by the browser to the text column width. This is especially useful for animated 24-bit PNGs—any scaling of those by CN removes the animation.

(Click for full size.)

gallery_273658_12412_267019.jpg

Next is the Gallery itself, which has a 50MB image limit—good for lossless PNGs or for when I couldn't make the image fit the 500kB limit:

(Click for gallery page.)

Next is Astrobin, for when I want to display images with w>1600 and/or h>1200. You get 10 uploads with a free Astrobin account. Unfortunately, there seems to be a recent change where you must have be logged into an Astrobin account to see the image at full (a.k.a. "Real" in AstroBin parlance) resolution. But the direct link to the full resolution image still seems to work. And contrary to popular belief, the "full screen" (a.k.a. "Full") preview is scaled and compressed (a common whinge against using CN for image hosting).

get.jpg?insecure

Direct link to full scale image

Next is Gigapan, which requires the image to be a minimum of 50 megapixels, and is limited only by the limitations of the file format you choose for upload. I really enjoy the Gigapan full-screen interface. But the revenue model has yet to bear any fruit (except for a place to host such massive images).

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/220892

I'm not all that keen on using my Google account—full of personal information—for hosting things for public forums.

BQ

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics