•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edmunds are like onions...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:09 AM

... they both have LAYERS!

My newly acquired red-tube 4.5" f/10 is in dire need of a new paint job, with serious scratches that have the red paint peeling away from them. Starting with the finder, I decided to just sand down the paint/feather the edge because I didn't want to strip the whole main tube, and this would be a good test as to whether I could get away with just blending in the biggest scratches. As I sanded the red, it gave way to grey primer, that gave way to a layer of white, that gave way to a layer of black, with the steel underneath!

Five layers of paint for a 4.5" scope? I don't think so. The foil Edmund sticker is intact on top, and has never been masked off, so I doubt that these top layers of paint were applied by a consumer who wanted to "modernize" an older era Edmund. It appears to me that Edmund itself had surplus white-tubes around when the red-tubes came out, and simply painted over them in order to complete orders.

Additionally, my finder brackets for this scope had a strange "crinkled" texture to them, which is unlike any of the beige parts on the mount OR any of the beige parts on my 8" f/5. I've heard that the older white tubes have black brackets with this texture (and there's black paint underneath), so I'm assuming the beige paint on these brackets appears to be a cover job as well.

The finder and the mount are in fine condition, so I wont be excavating their paint, but they appear to be newer and not painted over.

On an unrelated note, my 8" f/5 restoration project is almost complete, so there will be pictures posted soon. Both of these scopes should see first light tonight (excited about both as well) . - j

#2 tbourg

tbourg

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:31 PM

Hello,

That is an interesting bit of history about the Edmund scopes. Perhaps someone at Edmund could tell you if your hypothesis is correct.

I bet the scope is pretty good optically.

Good luck and clear skies.

Tom B.

#3 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:01 PM

That makes perfect sense to me.....I wonder if the Tasco 11TE ---- to 11TR have similar onions..

Jae

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics