•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI2600MM + EFW + M68-OAG

Astrophotography CMOS Equipment Filters Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 jeffcrilly2

jeffcrilly2

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:06 PM

ok.. just submitted the preorder for a 2600MM.   (maybe I'm crazy but it looks like this might make for a good camera; I'm quite impressed/tempted with the OSC version, but I think I'll be doing more narrowband in the future.)

I'm also planning on ordering a EFW and M68-OAG.

The M68-OAG configuration shown here looks intriguing :
https://astronomy-im...ploads/4562.jpg

Is anyone using this configuration?

thx

-jeff

Edited by jeffcrilly2, 27 February 2021 - 07:07 PM.

#2 bosh60

bosh60

Vendor - Satellite Tracker

• Loc: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:31 PM

I have the camera and my new ZWO 7x36 EFW will arrive next week.  I'm looking to get the M68-OAG too and am wondering if the tilt plate that comes with the camera  can be used in the configuration (the tilt adapter between the OAG and the scope.)

#3 andysea

andysea

Aurora

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:10 PM

You can use the tilt plate that came with the camera and put it on the OAG but I do not recommend doing that.

The tilt plate that comes with the 2600 has an M48 connection. That would essentially block the pick off prism of the OAG. If you are planning to use the tilt plate in that configuration, the best thing to do is to buy the M68 tilt plate. 

https://agenaastro.c...-m68-plate.html

Edit: I suppose if your telescope has an M48 connection then it should not matter and you could use the m48 tilt plate. I am pretty sure that the stalk of the pick off prism can be moved down to clear the m48 connection. 

It did not occur to me right away that some scopes have an M48 connection at the focuser.

Edited by andysea, 27 February 2021 - 09:16 PM.

#4 andysea

andysea

Aurora

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:21 PM

ok.. just submitted the preorder for a 2600MM.   (maybe I'm crazy but it looks like this might make for a good camera; I'm quite impressed/tempted with the OSC version, but I think I'll be doing more narrowband in the future.)

I'm also planning on ordering a EFW and M68-OAG.

The M68-OAG configuration shown here looks intriguing :
https://astronomy-im...ploads/4562.jpg

Is anyone using this configuration?

thx

-jeff

I have used a configuration similar to that but with with the 2"FW. It works very well and all the connections are bolted. My only suggestion is to put electrical tape on the back of the tapped holes for attaching the OAG to the FW. That will insure that any stray light if blocked, in case you image with the FW and no OAG.

#5 ezwheels

ezwheels

Apollo

• Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:31 PM

I have used a configuration similar to that but with with the 2"FW. It works very well and all the connections are bolted. My only suggestion is to put electrical tape on the back of the tapped holes for attaching the OAG to the FW. That will insure that any stray light if blocked, in case you image with the FW and no OAG.

Hey Andy,

Any pictures of the area you are describing? I am not seeing where I would do this on my set up.

#6 andysea

andysea

Aurora

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:03 PM

Oh, it's the holes that you attach the OAG to. They are on the face of the FW. On my sample of the FW the holes go all the way through the front plate.

Here are two photos showing the front of my 2" FW with the holes to attach the OAG. When I use my M54 Epsilon adapter for example, the holes are only partially covered. I put four small pieces of black electrical tape on the back side of the front plate to block them so that no stray light can get in. It is probably overkill but I am paranoid about reflections and stray light.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4712.jpeg
  • IMG_4711.jpeg

• ezwheels likes this

#7 bosh60

bosh60

Vendor - Satellite Tracker

• Loc: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 February 2021 - 12:18 AM

You can use the tilt plate that came with the camera and put it on the OAG but I do not recommend doing that.

The tilt plate that comes with the 2600 has an M48 connection. That would essentially block the pick off prism of the OAG. If you are planning to use the tilt plate in that configuration, the best thing to do is to buy the M68 tilt plate. 

Edit: I suppose if your telescope has an M48 connection then it should not matter and you could use the m48 tilt plate. I am pretty sure that the stalk of the pick off prism can be moved down to clear the m48 connection. 

It did not occur to me right away that some scopes have an M48 connection at the focuser.

Good point.  The tilt plate that comes with the camera is actually T2, so it may block the prism.  ZWO shows a configuration with a M48 tilt plate so it must work.

#8 andysea

andysea

Aurora

Posted 28 February 2021 - 01:14 AM

You're absolutely right it's m42 so yes m48 would probably be the minimum to go with, depending on your scope of course.

#9 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Vendor - Rockchuck Summit Observatory

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 28 February 2021 - 02:02 AM

I use the 2600mc with the 2" EFW & M68 OAG, I purchased the 6200 tilt plate to bolt it all together and its working great.  My scope is remote so i flip between triad, l-pro, SII and clear filters.

#10 ezwheels

ezwheels

Apollo

• Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 28 February 2021 - 02:14 AM

Oh, it's the holes that you attach the OAG to. They are on the face of the FW. On my sample of the FW the holes go all the way through the front plate.

Here are two photos showing the front of my 2" FW with the holes to attach the OAG. When I use my M54 Epsilon adapter for example, the holes are only partially covered. I put four small pieces of black electrical tape on the back side of the front plate to block them so that no stray light can get in. It is probably overkill but I am paranoid about reflections and stray light.

OK thanks! I was confused as the M68 OAG body itself completely covers the holes. I see the holes there when you do not use the OAG. Something to consider indeed. I wonder if a screw threaded from the inside might also work? Perhaps a button head M2.5 black oxide SS screw.  I am not sure about the clearance but, if it did clear the wheel then I would be inclined to that and not have to worry about the tape coming loose or gumming up in warmer weather. 

Edited by ezwheels, 28 February 2021 - 04:03 AM.

#11 andysea

andysea

Aurora

Posted 28 February 2021 - 03:05 AM

I think that would work great. The only drawback is that you would have to open up the filter wheel every time that you had to remove or install the OAG. Gaffer tape would also be a good option.
  • tranha053 likes this

#12 spkar

spkar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:44 AM

Hi Andy,

I think, 2600MM comes with an M42 tilt plate. This is a mechanical diagram on ASI website:

%E7%BB%93%E6%9E%84%E5%B0%BA%E5%AF%B8%E5%

• andysea likes this

#13 LPA

LPA

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:40 AM

My setup is ASI2600MM without tiltplate bolted to 2" EFW with M68 OAG attached. This takes up 50mm of backfocus and gives plenty of space for the OAG prism with no vignetting. It also gives the option of moving up to the ASI6200MM in the future without having to change any spacers and with no vignetting for a full-frame camera.

Larry

• telfish likes this

#14 andysea

andysea

Aurora

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:37 AM

Hi Andy,

I think, 2600MM comes with an M42 tilt plate. This is a mechanical diagram on ASI website:

%E7%BB%93%E6%9E%84%E5%B0%BA%E5%AF%B8%E5%

Yes it does. I was wrong. That's why in post #8 I was suggesting that maybe the m48 tilt plate would be the minimum size to go with. I'm pretty sure that you can buy those tilt plates individually from ZWO.

• JCT likes this

#15 JCT

JCT

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:00 AM

Timely thread as I am in the exact same boat - have everything in hand EXCEPT for the M48 tilt plate - apparently hasn't been released by ZWO yet...

JT

#16 andysea

andysea

Aurora

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:18 PM

You could get the M68 plate. That is what I have because it leaves the maximum amount of aperture available for the pick off prism. 

• JCT likes this

#17 JCT

JCT

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:22 AM

You could get the M68 plate. That is what I have because it leaves the maximum amount of aperture available for the pick off prism. 

I'm thinking about that (actually have a 54M tilt plate, wish ZWO sold the M48-M54 adapter separately).   The problem is that my imaging trains have been optimized for  48M on the telescope side.  The thought of re-doing them all is daunting to say the least.  My major concern is my 9.25 SCT that uses the Celestron OAG (that I prefer to the ZWO) - working out that imaging train was a major endeavor....

#18 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Vendor - Rockchuck Summit Observatory

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:36 AM

I'm thinking about that (actually have a 54M tilt plate, wish ZWO sold the M48-M54 adapter separately).   The problem is that my imaging trains have been optimized for  48M on the telescope side.  The thought of re-doing them all is daunting to say the least.  My major concern is my 9.25 SCT that uses the Celestron OAG (that I prefer to the ZWO) - working out that imaging train was a major endeavor....

If you use the zwo oag combo per this topic, it includes the adapters necessary to connect to M48 scope side, i can't speak to if the Celestron OAG does.

• JCT likes this

#19 JCT

JCT

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 March 2021 - 01:14 PM

If you use the zwo oag combo per this topic, it includes the adapters necessary to connect to M48 scope side, i can't speak to if the Celestron OAG does.

Thanks Byron,  will take another look but I'm pretty sure that those 2 adapters come with the 2" EFW, not the new 7x 36mm EFW that I have.  I flirted with the idea of new 2" filters but *yikes* the cost!

JT

#20 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:46 PM

Timely thread as I am in the exact same boat - have everything in hand EXCEPT for the M48 tilt plate - apparently hasn't been released by ZWO yet...

JT

What the heck. They show it as a solution and it's not available. Anyone heard when it's coming out? Really disappointing. Everything here and missing that one item M48 to the scope. Well I guess I will give it a go with the small OAG and no tilter.

Chris

#21 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 06 March 2021 - 02:42 AM

Thanks Byron,  will take another look but I'm pretty sure that those 2 adapters come with the 2" EFW, not the new 7x 36mm EFW that I have.  I flirted with the idea of new 2" filters but *yikes* the cost!

JT

I had an M42-M48 adapter included but I do not remember if it was with the camera or the new bolt-on 36mm filterwheel. I have used the M42 plate in front of the M68 OAG without vignetting at f/8. 

#22 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 06 March 2021 - 02:08 PM

I had an M42-M48 adapter included but I do not remember if it was with the camera or the new bolt-on 36mm filterwheel. I have used the M42 plate in front of the M68 OAG without vignetting at f/8. 

My reducers all have 48mm thread. If I were to go with a adapter it will trash my backfocus. No word from ZWO on when the zwo-m48-plate will be available so far. Get it together ZWO!

Get camera....wait for filter wheel..... wait for tilt plate.

Chris

#23 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Vanguard

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:59 PM

One question of course is if you need the tilt plate anyhow.  With everything bolted, it should not be needed.  Then any M68-M48 adapter would do.

I've ordered (and received) the M68 tilt plate, but am not sure if I'll actually use it.  But my flattener has much longer BF anyhow, so I'm flexible there

#24 carathir

carathir

Sputnik

Posted 06 March 2021 - 07:26 PM

I emailed ZWO and they told me April before the M48 plate even becomes available. I have an M48 thread. The only thing I can think of is to use the M54 tilt plate and somehow convert my M48 thread to M54 with the same part that is part of the 2" filter wheel kit sleep.png (54 to 48 ring). I also have the option of M66 (thanks Skywatcher).

Edited by carathir, 06 March 2021 - 07:27 PM.

#25 BBB1

BBB1

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Acton California 93510

Posted 29 March 2021 - 11:59 PM

I have a couple of questions related to this discussion, slightly off topic but I am stuck.  I have been using an Edge HD 11/Hyperstar/ASI6200MM Pro/ASIAir Pro/50mm (200mm FL) Guide Scope with an ASI120MC-S Camera with great results for the past few weeks.  This was my first setup moving from an ASI533MC to mono and I was really having a lot of fun with some fairly good pics (I posted some in my gallery).  Guiding was working very well with an EQ6R Pro.

I reconfigured the Edge HD 11, removed the Hyperstar and installed an Edge HD .7 Reducer, along with a ZWO EFW and M68OAG.  Starizona provided me with an adapter from the .7 reducer to the tilt adapter attached to the OAG.  I purchased an ASI120MM-Mini to use with the OAG.  The recommended 146mm of back focus from the .7 reducer to the ASI6200MM sensor is right on the money using the adapter that Starizona provided.

The first thing I noticed was that I was at the extreme infinity end of the focus travel (CCW) to get the main scope focused.  It was a good focus but needed every bit of travel, as though the back focus needs to be reduced slightly.  I can live with this situation.

The next problem has changed this hobby from being very enjoyable to miserable in two days.  I cannot get the ASI120MM-Mini to focus through the OAG when attempting to calibrate/guide.  I was able to get the guide camera and the main camera to focus in daylight on a mountain ridge 10 miles distant by forcing the ASI120MM-Mini all the way down into the helical focuser on the OAG with the Edge focus all the way to the CCW direction.  When I finally get polar aligned and on target, I am unable to get the guide camera to provide any (virtually none) usable stars.  I have tried various gains/exposures/focus settings on the guide camera with zero success.

If I remove the ASI120MM-Mini from the helical focuser and remove the HF from the OAG I can get somewhat of a focus on stars by carefully holding the camera almost against the OAG by hand.  Even this does not produce small, sharp stars.  Nothing that the ASIAir Pro can use to calibrate or guide.

I posted here because it sounds like several posters are successfully using the M68 OAG with the EFW and an ASI camera.

I am really out of tricks and do not have plan other than to call Starizona tomorrow.  This is day two of all day with zero success.

What guide camera(s) are you guys using with the OAG?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, CMOS, Equipment, Filters, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics