•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI2600MM + EFW + M68-OAG

Astrophotography CMOS Equipment Filters Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 30 March 2021 - 12:34 AM

It is very much possible that the ASI120MM is not sensitive enough to work on an OAG from the EdgeHD. Misshapen stars are normal so far out of field, you just focus them best it gets. PHD will handle those stars. You can try 3x binning but it did not work well for me in my RC. I changed to an IMX174-based camera for OAG use and guiding improved considerably. When your main camera is in focus, you should be able to get focus with the OAG camera, too, since everything is from ZWO (I assume you removed the extensions from the guide camera). I needed to remove the AR window from my QHY camera to be able to get into focus. 

#27 BBB1

BBB1

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Acton California 93510

Posted 30 March 2021 - 02:06 AM

Thanks for the ideas.  I just read another thread that advises the OAG stalk can be moved outward. If this is the case, that should correct the focus issues.  I am reading a lot of posts saying that the ASI174MM is a much better choice for this application.

I will try the stalk adjustment tomorrow.

#28 BBB1

BBB1

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Acton California 93510

Posted 30 March 2021 - 12:11 PM

I disassembled the OAG stack and yep, the stalk can be easily moved.  I moved it outwards about 3mm.  Once again, I was able to focus both the main camera and guide camera on a mountain ridge about 10 miles away.

I was able to do this before though.  We will see what happens tonight, weather permitting.

Thanks for the help.  If this still doesn’t work, I will try an ASI174MM-Mini camera.

#29 xonefs

xonefs

Mariner 2

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:59 PM

I am considering switching to the m68 OAG, I have some reservations though. My biggest issue is a mix of 2mm and 3mm thick filters, so not sure if I would need to even them all out first- but I've heard of people mixing 1mm and 3mm filters with OAGs so idk. 

Then I wonder is the zwo 290 fov wide enough on a 530mm FL refractor with m68 OAG? Is the big 174 FOV really only needed for longer scopes?

I just don't want the move to be a big headache. 

#30 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Vanguard

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:49 PM

Try it yourself.  Focus one of the 3mm filters, then, without refocusing, switch to a 2mm one.  That'll be what your guide camera would see.  I'm quite convinced you won't like it... 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, CMOS, Equipment, Filters, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics