•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Antlia Pro 3nm Filter Halo Comparison

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Jack2338

Jack2338

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Silicon Valley

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:33 PM

Hi All,

I conducted a halo test of the new Antlia Pro 3nm narrowband filters, using Sirius as the target. 

All exposures were 2 minutes with the FSQ-106EDXIII running at f/5, 2" (48 mm) filters on the QHYCFW3-L, QHY600m camera set at 27 gain and 18 offset cooled to -5 deg C.

Here the captures with intensity adjusted based on equal brightness of background stars.  Halo assessments with my configuration are:

Ha:  Negligible

Sii:  Trace

Oiii: Significant

The diameter of the halos were the same around other bright stars in the field.  This indicates the reflections are likely between the two faces of the Oiii filter. I notice, in the case of the Oiii filter, the shiny, first surface filter coating faces toward the camera sensor, away from the telescope objective, while the Sii and Ha filters and LRGB filters all face the other direction.  Antlia states that face direction should not matter and that halos are to be expected with the Oiii filter.

I hope these test results are informative.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• Sirius Antlia Ha 3nm.JPG
  • Sirius Antlia Sii 3nm.JPG
  • Sirius Antlia Oiii 3nm.JPG

• leviathan, Jii, AstroCatinfo and 1 other like this

#2 Joe G

Joe G

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:50 PM

I have the full set and my experience matches what you are posting. Of course, Sirius is a tad BRIGHT. And OIII filters are the worst offenders.

I also have Baader filters including both the 8.5nm and 4.5nm OIII filters.  Preliminary results show the Antlia filter is still better than the Baader filters with the 4.5nm being the worst as far as halos are concerned.

Another thread points out halos with Astrodon OIII filters too.

I'll post more as I know more.  Right now collecting narrow band data with the Antlia filters on the Rosette.

• leviathan and AstroCatinfo like this

#3 Bundter

Bundter

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Walnut Creek, California

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:56 PM

Jack - Many, many thanks for conducting these tests meticulously and publishing the resulting images.  I suspect that others seeking definitive evaluation of 3nm filters for potential purchase will find your work valuable as I have.

Edited by Bundter, 27 February 2021 - 10:56 PM.

• Jack2338 likes this

#4 Jack2338

Jack2338

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Silicon Valley

Posted 28 February 2021 - 12:14 AM

I have the full set and my experience matches what you are posting. Of course, Sirius is a tad BRIGHT. And OIII filters are the worst offenders.

I also have Baader filters including both the 8.5nm and 4.5nm OIII filters.  Preliminary results show the Antlia filter is still better than the Baader filters with the 4.5nm being the worst as far as halos are concerned.

Another thread points out halos with Astrodon OIII filters too.

I'll post more as I know more.  Right now collecting narrow band data with the Antlia filters on the Rosette.

These filters will replace the 8nm Baader filters that I have been using.  At least the Ha filter is halo free, and there are fewer targets for which Oiii is most significant.  I believe I can carefully edit and remove the Oiii halos as needed.

• AstroCatinfo likes this

#5 Joe G

Joe G

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 February 2021 - 12:37 AM

Can't argue. I am collecting data right now.  The Ha filter is a nice improvement over the Baader filter.  I believe the others will be better too.  At least from what I can tell.

#6 PhotonHunter1

PhotonHunter1

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest Suburbs of Chicago

Posted 28 February 2021 - 03:07 PM

Any idea how the Chroma OIII filters perform?

#7 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:00 AM

Here are some tests on the filters I just installed. Can't say that I am happy. Has anyone seen the ray artifact that I am getting on the SII? The halo on the Ha doesn't look good either.

The star selected is Eta Geminorum a magnitude 3.3 near the Jelly fish Nebula IC443.

All single frames w/ ASI2600MM and WO GT102 w/.72 reducer. Soft Stretched. Antlia filters 3nm.

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-03-06_21-44-57_S_-5.00_300.00s_0000.jpg
  • 2021-03-06_21-54-02_H_-4.90_300.00s_0000.jpg

Edited by Cfreerksen, 07 March 2021 - 01:10 AM.

#8 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:02 AM

As far as the OIII, not too shabby.

I also have a strange artifact on the Red filter. Any ideas?

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-03-06_22-05-06_O_-5.00_300.00s_0000.jpg
  • 2021-03-06_22-19-09_R_-4.60_90.00s_0000.jpg

Edited by Cfreerksen, 07 March 2021 - 01:03 AM.

#9 terry59

terry59

Voyager 1

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 07 March 2021 - 06:59 AM

Any idea how the Chroma OIII filters perform?

Propus, 300 sec 8nm Chroma OIII , 183M/SV70T

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

#10 AstroCatinfo

AstroCatinfo

Messenger

• Loc: Prades, Catalunya - Spain

Posted 07 March 2021 - 07:32 AM

Here are some tests on the filters I just installed. Can't say that I am happy. Has anyone seen the ray artifact that I am getting on the SII? The halo on the Ha doesn't look good either.

The star selected is Eta Geminorum a magnitude 3.3 near the Jelly fish Nebula IC443.

All single frames w/ ASI2600MM and WO GT102 w/.72 reducer. Soft Stretched. Antlia filters 3nm.

Chris

Thanks for sharing these results Chris. I am looking close to the Antlia filters to do an upgrade on my Baader set. A little bit worried seeing this results...

#11 AnakChan

AnakChan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Oz

Posted 07 March 2021 - 07:49 AM

Cheers for doing this. Just to clarify these are with the 2" mounted Oiii Antlia 3nm Pro? I've been talking to Antlia about ordering a set of these since last May (looking specifically for 50mm unmounted LRGB-Nb set) and still have not made any progress in ordering from them.

The delays in Antlia trying to get these right and getting enough production quantities are slowly pushing me more and more toward Chroma as it seems less "risky". Whilst Antlia has done a good job from their 3.5nm to 3nm but looks like there's still room for improvement.

#12 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:40 AM

Cheers for doing this. Just to clarify these are with the 2" mounted Oiii Antlia 3nm Pro? I've been talking to Antlia about ordering a set of these since last May (looking specifically for 50mm unmounted LRGB-Nb set) and still have not made any progress in ordering from them.

The delays in Antlia trying to get these right and getting enough production quantities are slowly pushing me more and more toward Chroma as it seems less "risky". Whilst Antlia has done a good job from their 3.5nm to 3nm but looks like there's still room for improvement.

These are 36mm unmounted 3nm pro filters.

Chris

• AnakChan likes this

#13 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Posted 08 March 2021 - 12:14 PM

Maybe a stupid question, but are the filters facing the correct direction? I know with a lot of filters, there is a little arrow showing the direction the 'coated' side needs to face. 

#14 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

Posted 08 March 2021 - 10:39 PM

Maybe a stupid question, but are the filters facing the correct direction? I know with a lot of filters, there is a little arrow showing the direction the 'coated' side needs to face. 

I used this graphic to install them. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2021-03-07 141046.jpg

• leviathan, SilverLitz and klaussius like this

#15 Ethanwyh

Ethanwyh

Mariner 2

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:12 AM

Where the coated sides need to face is actually dependent on certain imaging trains. The above guide works well-generally. However, if you are facing any nasty internal reflections arising from the filters, fret not: just flip the filters over and it will most likely be elimnated.

Just a tip if anyone has such an issue. Fresh from my experience: my 294M AR coated sensor window would give off such reflections with antlia filters IF i were to install them as mentioned in the guide above, flipped it over and the reflections were gone. Not sure if the 268M/2500mm will have such an issue but just a PSA.

• dswtan, Tim0116 and limeyx like this

#16 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:10 PM

Where the coated sides need to face is actually dependent on certain imaging trains. The above guide works well-generally. However, if you are facing any nasty internal reflections arising from the filters, fret not: just flip the filters over and it will most likely be elimnated.

Just a tip if anyone has such an issue. Fresh from my experience: my 294M AR coated sensor window would give off such reflections with antlia filters IF i were to install them as mentioned in the guide above, flipped it over and the reflections were gone. Not sure if the 268M/2500mm will have such an issue but just a PSA.

I will give this a shot.

Chris

#17 Tim0116

Tim0116

Explorer 1

• Loc: Western NC mountains

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:26 PM

Thanks, Ethanwyh!  I'm a new imager who just got bludgeoned by Alnitak and my Antlia filters... even the RGB produce HUGE halos.  Being new, it's my job to ask dumb questions.  If this is due to reflections between the filter and sensor, then why would flipping to put the more reflective side towards the camera improve things?  In my simple mind, it seems it would increase the intensity of reflections versus the "ghosting" side of the filter.  I don't know, but I'm going to try it!

*edit*  OK, reading the diagram more carefully.  I thought the "mirror-like" side would have more reflections.  Apparently the opposite.  Details matter!  

Edited by Tim0116, 09 March 2021 - 02:30 PM.

#18 AnakChan

AnakChan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:19 PM

This may help (taken from another thread here: https://www.cloudyni...200/?p=10521146) :-

post-54682-0-02097300-1600681237.jpg

• dswtan likes this

#19 AnakChan

AnakChan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:29 PM

Aside from filter orientation installation, back to the performance of the new Antlia NB 3nm & LRGB Pro series, what's the general drift folks thoughts? I've been intending to purchase a set of LRGB-NB since May last year and had been placing my hopes on the Antlia offerings however 10 months later, it still seems to be vapourware (I'm after the 50mm unmounted specifically for the whole 7-filter range) and for the few that have trickled out in various forms either in 36mm or 50mm, it sounds like Antlia's not been able to fully resolve the halo issue.

Chroma OTOH seems to have increased their prices dramatically that's now made Astrodon the next Go-To, however sporadic reading, I see mixed responses about Chroma & Astrodon too occasionally having halos. Do other folks have other thoughts? Would going for Astrodon/Chroma be a "surer" thing- "much" smaller chance of encountering halos compared to the Antlia NB 3nm & LRGB Pro series?

#20 Joe G

Joe G

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:49 PM

I posted this thread comparing my Baaders to the new 3nm Antlia filters if it helps.

I think the Antlias are better.  I didn't have a huge issue with the Baaders but if buying new I'd pay the extra for the Antlias.

I honestly don't think pointing your scope at the brightest star in the sky is a good way to make this decision. And I haven't seen any weird issues with them.

Hope that helps.

https://www.cloudyni...eagull-nebulas/

• AnakChan and AstroCatinfo like this

#21 Joe G

Joe G

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:51 PM

Also if you click on my Flickr link there are some images of the California Nebula imaged (Ha) with both the Antlia and the Baader filters.  Also a recent Orion mosaic made with the Antlia Ha filter.

#22 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

Posted 09 March 2021 - 10:39 PM

Also if you click on my Flickr link there are some images of the California Nebula imaged (Ha) with both the Antlia and the Baader filters.  Also a recent Orion mosaic made with the Antlia Ha filter.

Your Ha looks good. Got any OIII?

Chris

#23 Joe G

Joe G

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 March 2021 - 10:49 PM

It is in that link where I show comparisons between filters.  The Antlia seems better than my Baader OIII.  There are still halos.  I imagine on very bright stars Chroma and Astrodons show OIII halos.

#24 AnakChan

AnakChan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 March 2021 - 03:19 AM

Just bumping this thread a little. I’m at a stage where I have decide on going for the Antlia Pro series or Astrodon. I’m still not getting a firm grasp in which direction to take. Antlia Pro prices have come up slightly (esp the Oiii) that it’s about 1/2 the price of Astrodon. Chroma OTOH seems to have revised their pricing, out of the market, IMO.

It seems Astrodon is not immune to halos, and Antlia’s new 3nm Oiii is still susceptible too although in reading/researching there’s no conclusive findings that the two brands are comparable to this halo.

So to put the question from a different angle, are there any folks with the new Antlia Pro series that feel they should have gone Astrodon? Or are all folks happy with their Antlia pro series? And for those who are happy with their pro series, do you feel you get what you pay for? or do you feel that you’re getting almost to Astrodon’s level for 1/2 the price?

#25 AstroCatinfo

AstroCatinfo

Messenger

• Loc: Prades, Catalunya - Spain

Posted 02 April 2021 - 08:58 AM

And related to the LRGB Antlia set... are they worth or should I go for the Astrodon?

I com from Baader LRGB SHO (4 years of use), and I’m really disappointed with the OIII, B, G, SII halos... 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics