•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Low magnification M42 and a hint of M43

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:54 PM

M42 is always a great object to observe even in light polluted skies it can show some nebula. From my light polluted backyard it can be hard to pull out faint detail in nebula or galaxies, but I managed to get a small look at M43 with M42, but I wouldn't have been able to see it if it weren't for putting in the Orion Ultrablock filter. While it dimmed the stars and the background I could make out a bit more contrast in the nebula and was able to see some more detail I couldn't see without the filter. I placed all the stars, and the bright central region of M42 before adding the filter.

This was done through my Celestron Omni 150 XLT with a 32mm eyepiece for a very wide field of view. Pretty sure I had all three stars of the sword of Orion in the eyepiece.

As with all my sketches there is a video to go along with it to see the time lapse of the sketch being done at the eyepiece: https://youtu.be/bUlbsgJ4ccA

Attached Thumbnails

• M42M43 02-04-21 small.jpg

• paulsky, frank5817, Mel Bartels and 20 others like this

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:25 PM

Mike ,

That is a very fine sketch of the Orion Nebula and I watched and enjoyed your video as well.

Well done.

Frank :)

#3 mdowns

mdowns

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:12 AM

I missed this one last night Mike.I really enjoy the differing views presented by a variety of instruments and locations like yours.Well done.

#4 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 28 February 2021 - 12:02 PM

Mike ,

That is a very fine sketch of the Orion Nebula and I watched and enjoyed your video as well.

Well done.

Frank smile.gif

Thank you very much, Frank, and glad you enjoyed the video!

I missed this one last night Mike.I really enjoy the differing views presented by a variety of instruments and locations like yours.Well done.

No worries, Mike, I did a post and run last night. It is fun seeing this object in multiple views. In 2019 I did it in my 8" SCT and it was so much bigger in the FOV. Could make out more stars, but the fainter nebula wasn't visible. In the wider view I feel like I lost some of the stars, but was able to capture more nebula. Really such a great object to observe.

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 28 February 2021 - 05:14 PM

Mike,

Good sketch of Low magnification M-42 and a hint of M-43 smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

• AdirondackAstro likes this

#6 Kasey8404

Kasey8404

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South east Idaho

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:31 AM

looks great man, feel like I'm right in the eyepiece.

#7 dUbeni

dUbeni

Viking 1

• Loc: Lisboa, Portugal

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:17 AM

Well done, I really enjoy wide views. Nice video too waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics