•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Holder Rings QHY 168c , 268m

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 astroboyabdi

astroboyabdi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:05 PM

Hi all,

I am trying to find suitable rings to be able to mount a cooled camera and camera lens via a vixen style dovetail plate to a mount.

I have the 168c and I believe the 268m which is on order has similar dimensions. I am trying to mate various Nikon/canon (such as Rokinon 135mm/F2)  lenses via adapter to the OSC. Unfortunately they do not have tripod rings so need an alternative mounting mechanism to mount to a vixen plate.

Now there are a bunch of Holder Rings 78, 86 and 90mm from ZWO (see link below) that may be useful. 

https://www.bintel.c...&v=322b26af01d5

I am thinking the 90mm should do the trick but can't find specifications of the diameter of the qhy products to be sure.

The 071MC from ZWO is similar chip to QHY 168c but the QHY uses a larger M54 interface for their cameras.

Anyone with the above specific cameras who have used something similar to mount a similar lense can provide images, links or advice regarding appropriate mounting that would be much appreciated.

#2 BobT

BobT

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Driftwood, TX

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:07 AM

You might want to look at the QHY Tripod Adapter for the 168C as an inexpensive alternative.  It will require a single 1/4" hole in the Vixen dovetail plate for mounting.  I use one with my 168C, I have no idea if it will work with the 268M.

Regards,

BobT

Edited by BobT, 28 February 2021 - 10:12 AM.

#3 1DegreeN

1DegreeN

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Prachinburi, Thailand

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:34 PM

For my 168C and Canon lenses I use a pair of 102mm rings on vixen clamps, clamped to a vixen duplex bar (2 vixen dovetails secured together). The clamps make it easy to adjust the positions of the rings. I've also used these with my smaller 183C camera. I sourced the rings etc. from the "telescopes and accessories" store on Aliexpress and they are really good quality. ADM make them too.

#4 astroboyabdi

astroboyabdi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:27 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, any pictures of how they are mounted, trying to get it right in my head

#5 1DegreeN

1DegreeN

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:29 AM

RINGS

Here are the rings with my 168C and a 200mm lens. You can see that these 102mm rings are just big enough for the 168C. That ring size has been good i.e. the screws are long enough for my 400mm, 200mm and 70-200 f4 Canon lenses. If you want to use a really small lens then you could use both rings on the 168C - or get a smaller ring for the lens. 

#6 astroboyabdi

astroboyabdi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2021 - 07:44 AM

That is nice essentially what i was looking for.

Adjusting the lens on the rings so that there is no tilt on the sensor Im assuming is about adjusting the individual screws on each ring right?

#7 1DegreeN

1DegreeN

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:11 PM

Yes, you need to take some care to make sure not to introduce tilt when you tighten the screws. For the lens, the only really safe location for the ring is the tripod collar - I'm worried that tightening the screws on to any other section of the lens could cause damage. Also, should the lens slip then the screws will be caught by the lip of the collar. These nylon tipped screws have a bad rep but I've had no trouble so far, the mounting has been rock solid and I've done over 20 all night sessions without even the slightest movement. You may just want to check your lenses and measure the location of the tripod collar so you can work out the minimum length required for the dovetail - if I recall correctly, the one that ADM sell is a bit shorter than the one I got from aliexpress.

#8 astroboyabdi

astroboyabdi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:30 AM

Oh right, I was thinking any old dovetail would do. I am thinking of getting the adm rings.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics